Poppy's Paperbacks 2012

poppyshake

Frankie, here's my review of HILN at Goodreads. I originally posted the review in my 2010 thread but I can't work out how to link to that review. But I know you read it because you commented on how I really seemed to dislike it. :)

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie, here's my review of HILN at Goodreads. I originally posted the review in my 2010 thread but I can't work out how to link to that review. But I know you read it because you commented on how I really seemed to dislike it. :)

Thanks for the link! =) I'm off to read the review, I expect a lot of giggles, because it's so much fun see you rant about a book, something that so rarely happens :giggle:

Edit: I love it how you maintained Your Cool and didn't resort to Exclamation Marks, not once, to get your Point across. But I could sense the Venom Underneath. :giggle:

Edit: You gave it 2/5 in the end? Wow.

Wow, you're right about the exclamation marks. I thought you were being sarcastic, because I do tend to use them a bit, and I thought I would have used quite a lot for reviewing a book I hated! (See, there I go again.) I must have been more angry than outraged.

I'm so glad you enjoy reading reviews of books that annoyed me. :P I do write much better reviews for bad books compared to good books, I find.

And haha, very funny, with the capital letters. :P

Wow, you're right about the exclamation marks. I thought you were being sarcastic, because I do tend to use them a bit, and I thought I would have used quite a lot for reviewing a book I hated! (See, there I go again.) I must have been more angry than outraged.

Oh, sorry that you had to think for a moment that I was sarcastic :D I bet for a minute you were worried you'd overdone it. But no, I was being serious. I don't think there were any in sight, and I really admired that because I think you would've been allowed a few because the book really, really got to you. I know you use exclamation marks here on the forum but generally I figure that if you're writing a review, Kylie, (for goodreads, not necessarily BCF) you want to keep it professional. Because it's the editor in you. But that's just what came to mind now, a theory based on your profession, I don't know if that makes any sense for you :D

I'm so glad you enjoy reading reviews of books that annoyed me. :P I do write much better reviews for bad books compared to good books, I find.

Always a pleasure :D I think it's generally easier to write reviews on bad books, but of the quality difference, I'm not sure. Interesting thoughts :)

And haha, very funny, with the capital letters. :P

Oh, you noticed? :o

:haha:

I do agree with that. Ex was the complete opposite of me, and as much as that was refreshing in the beginning, and as much as I learnt from him (I really do owe him, a lot!), it just couldn't have worked out in the end.

He was practice ... everyone needs to practice .. it makes perfect :smile:

I'm following, because a person who doesn't like cheese must be a bit perverse and not in a good way. However, I really have no idea who this Wallace dude is and who Wendolene is. I am pulling out the 'I'm a foreigner!' -card in my defense :D

Wallace is Wallace as in Wallace & Gromit. He met Wendolene in one of his adventures ... 'A Close Shave' .. they seemed to be compatible but then she dropped the bombshell about cheese :D This is them before ... when love was just blossoming.

wallaceandwendolene.jpg

Okay, one pan breakfast is a must, hm, check.... *scribbles down* :haha:

Well I guess you could be more flexible .. if he is really worth getting a second saucepan out for :D (and doesn't mind doing it himself). What you don't want to be flexible on is mess .. you must both like .. or not like .. the same amount of mess. If you are a tidy person .. don't marry a slob and vice versa (really I should write a book on this .. I'm so informative :D) because mess is a big 'nagging subject' and you want to avoid them if poss. Another one is money .. a spendthrift shouldn't marry a miser etc etc (honestly, I reckon I could halve the divorce rate given the opportunity :D) I have made both the above mistakes (I wouldn't say I was the spendthrift slob .. but I was nearer to that end of the scale) ... and it wasn't pretty.

Hahaha, I couldn't help but read that as in you spending your adolescence in Reading prison :D Hm, interesting stuff about Oscar identifying with Christ. Although I kinda do understand, in the most basic way one can take it; Christ was not 'cool' and was crucified, Wilde was gay and was imprisoned.

We wore clothes and had haircuts that were bordering on criminal :DI think Oscar related to the shunned and persecuted Christ.

Which reminds me: I have a biography on Wilde. Now, do you think it makes any difference if I read De Profundis first and then the biography? Or...?

I would read the biog first because that will set you up perfectly but perhaps .. if it could be done without too much disruption .. you could stop off at the point where Oscar is in prison (the biog will definitely mention him writing the letter) and read De Profundis then. I think you will get a greater insight ... I wish I had done that now come to think of it.

Sorry for butchering your PM to rid of all emoticons but you know how it is!

Indeed I do :D

I am hoping frankie that you know about Wallace & Gromit cos if not :o :o :o .. you've missed seeing the bestest most cleverest dog ever. I mean Gromit reads!! and not just any old books either but high brow ( :D .. lol I can't help but think of his expressions) books .. I wouldn't mind getting my paws on his reading list. Anyway, if you haven't seen Wallace & Gromit before you must :smile:

gromitreading.jpggromitreading1.jpggromitreading2.jpg

This is no ordinary plasticine dog!

This is them before ... when love was just blossoming.

wallaceandwendolene.jpg

Awww, aren't they darling together :) She should've lied about the cheese!

Well I guess you could be more flexible .. if he is really worth getting a second saucepan out for (and doesn't mind doing it himself).

Oh, I do have two saucepans! However, you are right in that I will not take it upon me to be the breakfast chef. I'm willing to do my share (if I must...), but I won't be a maid. I almost wish ex hadn't been such a great and enthusiastic cook, I learnt to be a bit too spoiled :giggle:

What you don't want to be flexible on is mess .. you must both like .. or not like .. the same amount of mess. If you are a tidy person .. don't marry a slob and vice versa (really I should write a book on this .. I'm so informative) because mess is a big 'nagging subject' and you want to avoid them if poss.

Oh yes! I think if ex and I had lived together, this would've become an issue. I used to be very tidy and pedantic, but I've learnt to be more relaxed, but still, ex was a bit too relaxed to my taste if you know what I mean :D It was quite annoying that apparently I've inspired him to be a tidier person after our break-up. :rolleyes:

And yes, you should definitely write a book about this!! I actually thought about that last night when I was posting on your thread about these things. :D I'd buy the book!!

Another one is money .. a spendthrift shouldn't marry a miser etc etc (honestly, I reckon I could halve the divorce rate given the opportunity) I have made both the above mistakes (I wouldn't say I was the spendthrift slob .. but I was nearer to that end of the scale) ... and it wasn't pretty.

Oddly enough, I've realised that this is a very important issue. I never had problems with BF on this, we are both the sort of people who don't splurge, and who are pretty careful about their money. But eventhough I never had to worry about these things with him, I somehow realised when I was with him that I'm lucky to have such a same-ish BF in that respect, when I was still going out with him.

We wore clothes and had haircuts that were bordering on criminal

Now now, I've seen the pics on FB, it was nowhere close criminal, it was only very, very cool and pretty! :)

I would read the biog first because that will set you up perfectly but perhaps .. if it could be done without too much disruption .. you could stop off at the point where Oscar is in prison (the biog will definitely mention him writing the letter) and read De Profundis then. I think you will get a greater insight ... I wish I had done that now come to think of it.

I've taken onboard what you've said, although I'm worried that no matter how much I intended to read the book in succession, it might not happen. But then again, if that were to happen, it wouldn't be a matter of life and death: surely I'd would at least vaguely remember things from the bio that would deepen my reading of De Profundis. I guess I'd better stop planning my reading in all ways possible because my mojo's been awol for the whole of this week, and I can't remember the last time I had such a long mojoless period in my life ...

I am hoping frankie that you know about Wallace & Gromit cos if not

I do know Wallace & Gromit, by name, but I've never watched them and I didn't even know one of them was a dog. I've never been a huge fan of anything animated, drawn, or ... molded up? :blush: Does Gromit read any real books? Meaning books that have actually been published in the world of the books we also read?

I do know Wallace & Gromit, by name, but I've never watched them and I didn't even know one of them was a dog. I've never been a huge fan of anything animated, drawn, or ... molded up? :blush: Does Gromit read any real books? Meaning books that have actually been published in the world of the books we also read?

Oh you must see it .. they're genius! You will fall in love with Gromit for sure .. even though he is made of plasticine. He is reading 'Crime & Punishment' in one of the pics .. but it has to be said that it's by Fido Dogstoyevsky :D

Oh you must see it .. they're genius! You will fall in love with Gromit for sure .. even though he is made of plasticine. He is reading 'Crime & Punishment' in one of the pics .. but it has to be said that it's by Fido Dogstoyevsky :D

Fido Dogstoyevs... haha that's so funny! Although I really have to do a bit of ranting: why do you English speakers spell the Russian names in such a peculiar manner! :haha: It really does my head in at times when I'm trying to remember the correct way to spell them on here. Your Dostoyevsky is our Dostojevski. Tolstoy is Tolstoi. Oh and your Chekhov is our Tsehov. (and btw, I just realised like two days ago that there aren't two different authors that I still need to read books by, namely Tsehov and Chekhov, but that they are the same and yet again, it's just a matter of the spelling. Dog darn it!! :D)

Okay okay. The next time I see W&G are on TV and I have the time, I'll try and watch the show.

And yes, you should definitely write a book about this!! I actually thought about that last night when I was posting on your thread about these things. :D I'd buy the book!!

I will get started on it :D I need to include some encouragement as well though .. places where you can compromise etc and one of those .. despite Wallace's reaction .. is that you can have a perfectly happy marriage/relationship even if one of you loves tomatoes and the other hates them and I daresay this is the case with most foodstuffs .. even cheese possibly .. though everyone will have their achilles heel. I couldn't marry a man who didn't like toast for instance .. or who couldn't MAKE toast. No .. we would have to part .. or perhaps he could go to toast school. If he was willing to go to toast school for me then that would definitely be a sign that he's a keeper :D (and you need to keep your eyes open for signs like that.) Again though it's worth keeping a chart of foodstuffs you disagree on because if they were to reach epic proportions that might create a difficulty. You definitely don't want to get into the 'cooking a different meal' scenario .. not even if he is cooking because it would mean more time apart and you don't want to start arguing when it comes to choosing takeaways or eating out .. it wastes valuable noshing time.

Ditto music

Ditto films

Other things to consider :

Don't under any circumstance marry a British football fan .. they are absolute slaves to it.

Be tolerant when it comes to his clothes choices for you .. he will most likely pick out outfits that only Beyonce could get away with but remember he means well and it's touching that he thinks you'd look good in gold sequinned hotpants. Only get annoyed if he tries to insist upon you actually wearing them :D

Fido Dogstoyevs... haha that's so funny! Although I really have to do a bit of ranting: why do you English speakers spell the Russian names in such a peculiar manner! :haha: It really does my head in at times when I'm trying to remember the correct way to spell them on here. Your Dostoyevsky is our Dostojevski. Tolstoy is Tolstoi. Oh and your Chekhov is our Tsehov. (and btw, I just realised like two days ago that there aren't two different authors that I still need to read books by, namely Tsehov and Chekhov, but that they are the same and yet again, it's just a matter of the spelling. Dog darn it!! :D)

I know .. it should all be universal. I would spell Dostoevsky << like that :smile: I was just copying how they had spelt it but even so it is still totally different to yours. However the author spells his name that's how we should ALL spell it .. even if it looks like code or hieroglyphics. Wiki says that he spelt it several different ways himself .. now that's just plain ole unhelpful!

Okay okay. The next time I see W&G are on TV and I have the time, I'll try and watch the show.

I promise you, you won't regret it ... especially 'The Wrong Trousers' .. that's my favourite and therefore it must be the best one aye :giggle:

I've taken onboard what you've said, although I'm worried that no matter how much I intended to read the book in succession, it might not happen. But then again, if that were to happen, it wouldn't be a matter of life and death: surely I'd would at least vaguely remember things from the bio that would deepen my reading of De Profundis. I guess I'd better stop planning my reading in all ways possible because my mojo's been awol for the whole of this week, and I can't remember the last time I had such a long mojoless period in my life ...

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :empathy: .. I've been a bit that way lately and it's a real downer. I hope that you find your mojo soon .. do you remember where you left it? I'm sure it won't be away for long but it's very frustrating while it lasts.

Yes, I'm sure you'll remember the biog when it comes to reading 'De Profundis' .. I forgot you were a young person .. I was endowing you with my own foibles (and whatever else happens you don't want to be endowed with those I can tell you :D)

I will get started on it

Wohoo! Actually, I think if you just copy+paste your posts on here you must already have a chapter's worth of good, solid stuff! :lol:

Toast school :D Only a real toast lover can come up with stuff like that!

Other things to consider :

Don't under any circumstance marry a British football fan .. they are absolute slaves to it.

Thank you, but I've already established that years ago. I don't care for football at all, and I don't think I'd like a Finnish footy fan, let alone a raving mad English fan who'll kick in people's heads who happen to support the rival team. It's not only Brits, of course, there are some other countries known for some quite obstinate fans, but it's definitely nothing like that over here in Finland. Then again, Finland doesn't really stand a chance in football :D But! We do stand a chance in ice hockey and the ice hockey fans aren't all batty in the head like the worst footy fanatics!

Be tolerant when it comes to his clothes choices for you .. he will most likely pick out outfits that only Beyonce could get away with but remember he means well and it's touching that he thinks you'd look good in gold sequinned hotpants. Only get annoyed if he tries to insist upon you actually wearing them

:D That struck me as odd. In the way that no man has ever bought me clothes and I've never expected them to. I would find it quite odd if a future fella came in and told me he'd bought something for me to wear. I'd immediately think he must be from Queer Eye for the Clueless Girl. :D

I know .. it should all be universal. I would spell Dostoevsky << like that I was just copying how they had spelt it but even so it is still totally different to yours. However the author spells his name that's how we should ALL spell it .. even if it looks like code or hieroglyphics. Wiki says that he spelt it several different ways himself .. now that's just plain ole unhelpful!

So even he himself didn't know how to spell his name. It really says something about a WRITER, doesn't it... :rolleyes: You'd think they'd come to a decision and stuck with it!

Yes, I'm sure you'll remember the biog when it comes to reading 'De Profundis' .. I forgot you were a young person .. I was endowing you with my own foibles (and whatever else happens you don't want to be endowed with those I can tell you)

Me, a young person? I don't think I can get away with that anymore, having turned to the naughty thirties. :giggle: BTW, I checked the library today for De Profundis, but they only had a massive copy of Wilde's Complete Works, and I didn't feel like borrowing that one. However, since mojo is AWOL, I don't think it'll come back if I go and start reading the more deep, thought provoking, literary things. I should go with something easier. And something that'll grab me from the get-go.

Which reminds me: I did borrow a book from the library that I'm hoping will bring my mojo back. It's called Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. Yes. Light and easy!

Edit: Do you think our mojos have pulled a stunt on us, and have gone off to meet each other, to warn each other about us, before we meet?!

Wohoo! Actually, I think if you just copy+paste your posts on here you must already have a chapter's worth of good, solid stuff!

Toast school Only a real toast lover can come up with stuff like that!

One of the ideas I had (and this shows how mad I am about toast) was to compile a book of literary toast quotations and I actually started writing them down whenever I came across them .. only I got lazy and forgot (there is definitely a toast reference in Sylvia Plath's journals for instance .. Ted makes her some .. in fact I think he makes it for her constantly which just goes to show that .. however much I think a man who makes you toast can be trusted .. he really can't .. so I had better not write my relationship book after all .. especially as I have a failed one behind me and as much as I could say that it was all in the name of research it might not .. inspire confidence :D

Thank you, but I've already established that years ago. I don't care for football at all, and I don't think I'd like a Finnish footy fan, let alone a raving mad English fan who'll kick in people's heads who happen to support the rival team. It's not only Brits, of course, there are some other countries known for some quite obstinate fans, but it's definitely nothing like that over here in Finland. Then again, Finland doesn't really stand a chance in football :D But! We do stand a chance in ice hockey and the ice hockey fans aren't all batty in the head like the worst footy fanatics!

I am glad that Alan doesn't much care for football .. all of his family though are footy mad and though they are not the sort to kick your head in they can get a bit lairy about it (is that a word you're familiar with?) .. also it costs an incredible amount of money .. my brother-in-law pays about £1,350.00 for a season ticket for him and his son :o and that's not including the travel costs and all the food and paraphenalia .. Lord!! that would buy a lot of books :D .. and to pay all that money to sit/stand with a load of apes (and I do apologise to any primates reading this :D) shouting obscenities across a field with a load of overpaid prima donnas running around on it seems to me absolute madness. I do quite like football in a non fanatical way and have supported the same team since I was young but I watch it on the TV .. I did go once and it frightened me to death .. I lost a shoe!

That struck me as odd. In the way that no man has ever bought me clothes and I've never expected them to. I would find it quite odd if a future fella came in and told me he'd bought something for me to wear. I'd immediately think he must be from Queer Eye for the Clueless Girl.

They are more likely to suggest things when you are in the shop then actually buy a garment. In my experience they pick up the offending pair of shorts/mini skirt :D and sort of waggle it in your direction (to see if you'll bite obviously.) Alan did once buy me a teensy tiny garment and when I said there was no way it was going to fit me .. he said .. and I quote ... 'it will ... an elephant could get in it' and so I tried it on and .. IT DID NOT FIT!!! He hasn't bought me any surprise clothing items since but I think his hearing has returned to normal now :D

So even he himself didn't know how to spell his name. It really says something about a WRITER, doesn't it... You'd think they'd come to a decision and stuck with it!

I was quite shocked actually .. he spelt it three or four different ways apparently and they seem to suggest it was because he couldn't spell rather than just because he wanted to bamboozle people .. goodness me. All credit to him for writing such great books but it must have been a nightmare for his editor :D

Which reminds me: I did borrow a book from the library that I'm hoping will bring my mojo back. It's called Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. Yes. Light and easy!

Lord!! that would keep me awake at night (I'd be recognising myself in all of them :D)

Edit: Do you think our mojos have pulled a stunt on us, and have gone off to meet each other, to warn each other about us, before we meet?!

Well it's jolly rude of them if they have and what's more it's pointless cos I AM meeting you and that's that. I do apologise though if my mojo is keeping yours away .. it's very much like me in that it does yak on so .. it maybe that your mojo has just fallen into a temporary coma.

Sorry to butt in just want to give another vote for The Wrong Trousers that still has me in stitches now just thinking about it. I never looked at penguins the same way again who knew they could be evil.

One of the ideas I had (and this shows how mad I am about toast) was to compile a book of literary toast quotations and I actually started writing them down whenever I came across them .. only I got lazy and forgot

Wow, you do like your toast LOL. So, how's one to make it, so it's just right? And I'm sorry, this is so off-topic, if you'd like to steer us back to talking about books and the books you've read in particular, just say the word! Hehe!

(there is definitely a toast reference in Sylvia Plath's journals for instance .. Ted makes her some .. in fact I think he makes it for her constantly which just goes to show that .. however much I think a man who makes you toast can be trusted .. he really can't .. so I had better not write my relationship book after all .. especially as I have a failed one behind me and as much as I could say that it was all in the name of research it might not .. inspire confidence

Yes, Mr Ted... I'm going to make a very bold suggestion and a rather rude one. But suppose I were to find him in the psychopath book I'm reading. I mean seriously, he might have been a narcissist (I'm not saying he is, but... let me go on this hypothetical journey for a second). So of course he would make wonderful toast and think that was it, now she loves me and I can do pretty much what ever the heck I please. Narcissists can fool everyone, even educated psychologists! So I think your toast theory can still be applied, but just to the regular of men. ;)

I am glad that Alan doesn't much care for football .. all of his family though are footy mad and though they are not the sort to kick your head in they can get a bit lairy about it (is that a word you're familiar with?) .. also it costs an incredible amount of money .. my brother-in-law pays about £1,350.00 for a season ticket for him and his son and that's not including the travel costs and all the food and paraphenalia .. Lord!! that would buy a lot of books

I wasn't familiar with 'lairy' but I googled it, it's my new word of the day! I might need to get lairy today so I can use that word, or at least make other people use it in reference to me, so I will remember the term from now on :D

That's one pretty expensive season ticket, wow! But I guess we all have hobbies that rob us of some money, to different extents. I'm quite happy now that my hobby is such an inexpensive one, in comparison. If I were really truly utterly skint all the time, I could go to the library and those books cots me nothing. Phew!

Did you start calculating exactly how many books you could buy for that amount? :giggle: And did you go to BD to see which titles you would purchase?

I do quite like football in a non fanatical way and have supported the same team since I was young but I watch it on the TV .. I did go once and it frightened me to death .. I lost a shoe!

Poor shoe! It must've felt really lonely and trampled upon =( And you, having to get home with only one shoe! I hope there weren't that many broken beer bottles lying around and you didn't get scarred for life! :empathy:

Alan did once buy me a teensy tiny garment and when I said there was no way it was going to fit me .. he said .. and I quote ... 'it will ... an elephant could get in it' and so I tried it on and .. IT DID NOT FIT!!! He hasn't bought me any surprise clothing items since but I think his hearing has returned to normal now

:haha: That cracked me up, seriously! Oh I imagine he quite blushed. I hope he got you some flowers and choccy for that :D Oh dear!

I was quite shocked actually .. he spelt it three or four different ways apparently and they seem to suggest it was because he couldn't spell rather than just because he wanted to bamboozle people .. goodness me. All credit to him for writing such great books but it must have been a nightmare for his editor

Ah, so he didn't do it to confuse people. Oh, poor man! I'm sorry I thought ill of you, ye Great Author *blush*

Lord!! that would keep me awake at night (I'd be recognising myself in all of them )

Yes I suppose it might, haha! I'm more accustomed, I do like reading true crime books and am interested in all things psychology and criminal psychology in particular. It might sound really twisted but it's going to make one helluva interesting reading! I've already stumbled upon some names in the book (not having read more than 10 pages of it!) that I've not heard before, and I thought I already knew the worst of the worst by name.

Well it's jolly rude of them if they have and what's more it's pointless cos I AM meeting you and that's that. I do apologise though if my mojo is keeping yours away .. it's very much like me in that it does yak on so .. it maybe that your mojo has just fallen into a temporary coma.

:D Maybe they are just swapping survival tips, you know, for the occasion when we meet. Like, 'oh, remember to make your Mistress forget about bringing along a notebook where she can write down all the great titles your Mistress has read and will recommend, because I'm already overworked. Have you any idea what it's like, living in a tiny apartment with that kind of Mount TBR?? Oh of course you do, sorry I forgot'!

Sorry to butt in just want to give another vote for The Wrong Trousers that still has me in stitches now just thinking about it. I never looked at penguins the same way again who knew they could be evil.

Hm. Now I'm getting really curious about this! And I'm also a bit scared, I like penguins a lot and I'd like to keep it that way!

Haha :D I was sure my old PC couldn't handle the youtube bit, but it did, and I've just watched the whole episode, it was brilliant :D :D What devilish thieving little penguin! And poor Gromit :( He's one clever doggy, is he not. And Wallace is quite clueless half the time :D Thanks Steve for the vid!

Poppy how on earth could you lose a shoe at a football match......? Was there something stopping you going back to retrieve it? I imagine you getting back home dishevilled and shoeless but glad to be alive.....

Frankie so glad you have watched all of The Wrong Trousers.

postillion.jpg

A Postillion Struck By Lightning - Dirk Bogarde

Waterstones Synopsis: 'At the top of the field the cottage roof stuck up with its chimney, and then the flint walls and the two rather surprised looking windows in the gable looking down to the farm. Round the cottage was a rickety wooden fence with bits of wire and an old bedstead stuck in it, and some apple trees and the privy with its roof of ivy and honeysuckle' A Postillion Struck by Lightning was a bestseller on first publication and marked Dirk Bogarde's transition from star of stage and screen to a bestselling and internationally acclaimed author. This vivid and engaging memoir traces the first steps of Dirk Bogarde as a young actor before he became world famous as well as his childhood amidst the enchanting beauty of rural Sussex. Here is the delightful harmony of summer days spent fishing with his young sister, a hunt for an escaped tortoise, the discovery of the biggest mushroom in the world, and the quest to win a pet canary at the local fair. Then came the plays he and sister used to put on in their barn, followed by the local amateur dramatic society, all a prelude to his growing desire to join the world of the stage.

Review: I really liked this. Dirk's a natural storyteller and, despite their different backgrounds (Dirk's father works for The Times newspaper and he and his sister were brought up mainly by their beloved nanny Lally), this memoir has a touch of the Laurie Lee's about it. I believe there are further memoirs though I'm not sure if they're in print now, this one leaves off just as World War II starts and Dirk has both started his acting career and just signed up.

The majority of the book details his childhood growing up in Sussex. He's not what you might call a keen scholar .. indeed it doesn't seem to occur to him that he needs to learn anything, or anything academical anyway. He and his younger sister are absolute little minxes .. wandering about the Sussex countryside looking for trouble and usually finding it (including trying to poison unsuspecting walkers by making 'hikers' wine' .. a noxious bottled concoction of poisoned berry juice and water which they leave around the countryside with old packets and eggshells to make it look like the remnants leftover from a picnic) .. they have very sadistic leanings but, in the main, their bark is worse than their bite (though Dirk did stab his sister with a knife once for daring to read his comic first :o) If you went to stay with them they'd frighten the life out of you by telling you all about the local murders or taking you to spy on the neighbourhood witch .. this does happen to poor Angelica even though she's been warned to take no notice .. 'my mother said that you can't believe a word you say in your family. You all tell terrible stories because you are too romantic. She says it's because your mother was an actress and your father is a journalist and you just don't know what is real and what isn't' :D

One of the little anecdotes I really enjoyed was quite a simple one about a fishing trip. Dirk had gone along with two friends to try and catch a fierce, yard long, infamous pike at the river Ouse in Itford. As he hasn't got either the correct equipment or the right apparel he ends up being more of an observer than a participator ... it's all a bit boring but then a lady wanders past. He gives a short description of her (tall and thin, with a long woolly, and fairish hair which looks wispy .. she is carrying a walking stick and a bunch of wild flowers) and then she stops and speaks .. 'Fishing?' she says .. which Dirk thinks is a stupid question as what else would they be doing .. she then says she thinks she is lost and they point out the footbridge to her. After she's wandered off Perce says 'Bloomin' nuisance her. She's always about when I get here .. up and down the river like a bloomin' witch.' 'A foreigner, isn't she?' said Reg. 'Londoner. From over there at Rodmell' says Perce .. 'They say she's a bit do-lally-tap .. she writes books' :smile: .. Dirk finds himself wondering why there are so many witches in Sussex. The mysterious lady is not mentioned by name but of course I guessed who she was and it gave me a little thrill to 'see' her wander across the page like that .. even though they were so jolly rude about her, it helped give the memoir an added sense of time and place too.

I learnt too that the young British singer Birdy, who I've been listening to lots lately, is related to Dirk ... she is his great niece. I looked it up on Wiki after reading at the start of this book that Dirk's surname is van den Bogaerde because I remembered reading that was also Birdy's surname. My brain is working better than I thought but then it is a very unusual name. She was three when he died so they wouldn't have really known each other but still .. I do love connections :smile:

Very, very enjoyable. I hope to read the rest but you know how it is? .. too many books, not enough time. I hope at least to read his letters.

8/10

Poppy how on earth could you lose a shoe at a football match......? Was there something stopping you going back to retrieve it? I imagine you getting back home dishevilled and shoeless but glad to be alive.....

I made the mistake of going to a Chelsea match when I was a teenager (because of a boy!! I support Tottenham so should never have been there) and ended up in The Shed End. When Chelsea scored the crowd surged forward and I lost my shoe (probably my fault .. strappy sandals are not the thing to wear apparently) .. and though it did surge back to some degree we never ended up back where we started from and my shoe was gone. I did try and search for it (as much as you could) but it was fruitless (and I was shoeless :D) .. probably was stolen and kept for missile practice or something. I needed to get public transport home so that was interesting but it wasn't half as mortifying as it would be if it happened now. Somehow it's more funny when you're 17 .. though the loss of the shoe was felt quite deeply .. I did love those shoes :D I haven't been to a football game since.

Frankie so glad you have watched all of The Wrong Trousers.

So am I. I had to watch it back too (thanks for the link Steve :smile:) and laughed at all the same bits 'Oh, there goes me knotty pine' :D ... 'I'll give you what-for, you tyke! :D'