Vodkafan's 2012 Reading List and Genre Challenge

vodkafan

I discovered Stephanie Plum last year and am trying to pace myself. Its nice to know of something light to have between heavier reads.

I like your new bookshelves they would look good either side of a comfy reading armchair.

I really liked Janet Evanovitch's sense of humour. Yes I am going to use them exactly as you say in between more meaty reads. Yes my shelves are fab aren't they? The layout and small size of the room dictates where I am going to have to put chairs and things so either side of an armchair is probably not going to happen.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Plum novels like that too. I'm on to the 17th in the series now, and they definitely tail off after the tenth or so, but I like the characters and use them very much as filler (I've had some tough, emotional reads recently so am considering reading that next) so I don't expect a Pulitzer novel or anything, but they're fun and easy to read. I first started reading them when I was 16 or something, so they've been spread out over a decade!

The Odin Misson sounds really interesting, I've added it to my wish list.

I read Janet Evanovitch as a filler as well I love her sense of humour in between a lot of other books. as for mary stewart one of my favourite is Touch Not the Cat I inherited it from my grandma.

I finished reading Coraline. It was brilliant I had to devour it in one day. I compare it to Stephen King's IT, it was really the same story but told much better and without 200 extra pages of rubbish to wade through.

I found it very atmospheric and menacing. The kindle version was busting with excellent spooky illustrations and extra material from the author too. Neil Gaiman can really get inside kids' heads and explain things the way they would see them. That is a gift. This is the 4th Neil Gaiman book I have read and the best so far. I didn't think anything would top American Gods.

Kylie thanks for making me bump it up my TBR pile.

Edited by vodkafan

Although I will check out all the ones I have been recommended, I chose my Romance book for the Genre Challenge. I found it at work . The woman on the cover is about to swoon or faint and the guy has an eyepatch. I couldn't resist it. It looks so bad It has to be good.

P1010106-1.jpg

Edited by vodkafan

. It looks so bad It has to be good.

:giggle2: VF

You are a hoot ! Let us know how the guy ends up with the eyepatch. Maybe he is a retired pirate .

Was Coraline the one they made the movie of ? I remember seeing a commercial for it awhile back .I think there was a little skinny girl as the main character .I haven't read any Gaiman books ,but have heard really good things about them.

Yes, I think now I remember the Coraline commercial. A little boney girl wearing all black. I'll have to ask my grandson when he wakes up if he saw the movie. As I recall, it looked like maybe a little bit of a horror-type story or maybe scarey ? He loves scarey movies,so he'd love it I'm sure .

Maybe someday I'll pick up a copy and give it a try,or at least one of the Gaiman books. I think I once saw one called Anansi boys or something like that,and it sounded really interesting .

I'm awfully late with this, but have a merry reading in 2012, dear voddy! :)

:lol: That's a relief! Unless you become a convert...! :giggle2:

Vodkafan, a convert, to read Mills&Boons and Harlequins only? :haha: Now that's a funny visual! Hahah no matter how much this would make me laugh, I hope it won't be the case!

bookshelves0001.jpg

NICE!! Score! Would I be too bold to ask for pics for when you've organised your books on the shelves, pretty please? :)

Thanks voddy and sorry that I asked for the pic, now knowing that you'd already posted in your member's thread :blush2: But I think it's only appropriate that you also posted the pic also on this thread, it is a reading log after all. That's my excuse! :D

Wow, when I saw the pic of the empty shelves, and when I then saw the organized shelves with books, my brain heart! The empty bookcases pic made me think that the bookcases are about ceiling high, because there's really no reference point in the pic. But then in the latter pic you have the chair and you get the proportions right. Initially I'd thought that you could put two rows of big paperback on one shelf, that it's that big. And then when I saw the other pic, I initially thought, wow, those are some big ass books! Then I noticed the chair and realised my brain had it all wrong :D

Thanks Rose! . I got some paperbacks off my wish list through from Amazon today to help fill it:

Last Light

Before I Die

Mistress Masham's Repose (Reading Circle)

The Knife of Never Letting Go

Love those shelves :smile: .. I can't quite read the spines but you can't have everything :D I think I spotted a Sarah Waters though.

Glad you enjoyed Coraline VF. I loved both it and the movie .. though they differed a bit. I saw the movie in 3D and it was quite sensational, the opening credits were visually stunning .. some of the best I've ever seen. You must read your way through the rest of Gaiman now :smile:

Nice list so far! I've always wanted to read and watch Coraline, since Gaiman is a real genius when it comes to his story and style. I even loved American Gods and Anansi Boys and his short stories are fantastic.

I'm glad you're branching out with your reading, although I can't say I'd try the same! Mills & boon?! I'd shudder lol

Also nice bookshelf! Have fun filling it :) that's one of my favourite activities. My bookshelf is bending from the weight of my books :D

Hope you enjoy The Knife of Never Letting Go I loved it. Also a big fan of Gaiman here so enjoy going through his books as well. ps Love the shelves I really need to organise mine well when I say organise I mean get some more books all over the place at mine, I have too much furniture and not enough space

I have furniture but am losing my appliances one by one. The washing machine is gone now and so has the microwave. Will replace them .

Reading Shadow Of The Wind now. Enjoying it better than The Angel's Game,

although the two books seem quite similar.

I am in a strange detached yet- can't- give- a-monkeys mood today.

Maybe I should have a nap before I go to work.

Received Mistress Masham's Repose through the post.

Hi Julie I think I am overtired because I have started back at the gym last week and I have to push on through the initial muscle pain and fatigue till I start feeling better again. Last week was just aerobics and swimming but this week I started back on the weights again. After I finish the gym I just flop down and sleep until it is time to go to work. Happy Days!! I am not in an unhappy mood just that my mind is in one place and my body is in another.

Very understandable. The exercising has to become a part of daily life so your body is used to it,and after taking time off, there will just be a time of adjustment,then you will be right in the saddle again and doing great . I admire your stamina in trying . I should do the same .

We did join up for awhile . Our wee little town actually built a Rec Center a few years back,with a pool, a walking track, exercise room, gym ,etc . After I had my knee surgery we both signed up so I could get in some extra therapy on it . It was nice and fun,but we just gradually stopped going .

It's about a block behind my house so no excuses . Maybe we'll sign back up, because this time of year we don't always get much outdoor-walking type time in. Too cold and wet .

Glad to hear you are doing well .

Thanks voddy and sorry that I asked for the pic, now knowing that you'd already posted in your member's thread :blush2: But I think it's only appropriate that you also posted the pic also on this thread, it is a reading log after all. That's my excuse! :D

Heehee!

And then when I saw the other pic, I initially thought, wow, those are some big ass books! Then I noticed the chair and realised my brain had it all wrong :D

*snorts with laughter* Oh Frankie! I'm surprised you didn't also think 'That's a big ass chair. Voddy must be a giant!' Bahaha! (Luv ya *hugs*)

VF, I agree that Coraline is both an awesome movie and an awesome book.