Vodkafan's 2012 Reading List and Genre Challenge

vodkafan

It's the typing it out that i hate Brian i'm quite happy to chat about books with people but having to write down my likes & dislikes just feels a bit too much like having to do a book report.

I totally understand that. I am on a computer a lot of the time, both at home and at work so I type at quite a speed and it barely registers with me. However, if I had to write it out, that would be a chore and it would definitely feel like homework to me. :D

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is Janet, the last one of my Genre Challenge. It is not like I expected though, I expected it to be like a comic strip but it is instead a story made up very cleverly of collaged words and sentences from 1960's women's magazines- like a ransom note kind of thing. It is also the funniest thing I have EVER read so far in my life.

Ooh, that's a pretty big call, VF! I better go and check this book out. smile.png

Honestly it is so hilarious. I twigged what was going on at the end of chapter 2. I have almost wet myself and only on chapter 4.

Yes it is Janet, the last one of my Genre Challenge. It is not like I expected though, I expected it to be like a comic strip but it is instead a story made up very cleverly of collaged words and sentences from 1960's women's magazines- like a ransom note kind of thing. It is also the funniest thing I have EVER read so far in my life.

Sounds awesome, I'll have to look it up! :D

Isn't Mary Roach the one who wrote STIFF , or is that someone else ? Been meaning to get hold of it since I hear so many good reviews on it .

Hi Julie yes the same author. She has a very irreverent style. STIFF was ok but Packing For Mars was much better. Lots of fun and trivial information.

I haven't read Packing For Mars, but it was one of the offers on BD on their 24 hours of offers, one offer every hour -deal, it was pretty cheap and I almost got it. I have to say that I thought Stiff was brilliant; eventhough the subject matter is pretty serious and should (imo) be thought of with respect, I was honestly in stitches when I was reading the book :giggle2: One of the most enjoyable non-fiction books I've ever read.

Thanks. :) I think I removed it because it's a bit pricey, but I've just added it again!

I haven't read Packing For Mars, but it was one of the offers on BD on their 24 hours of offers, one offer every hour -deal, it was pretty cheap and I almost got it.

:( I saw almost every deal, but I missed that one and only saw it afterwards on BD's Facebook feed. :( :( I couldn't believe it because I really want to read it!

I'm trying not to build up a big wishlist for next year but going to be checking out Womans World.What made you choose it Vf as it doesn't sound like the sort of book that most men would go for ?

Hi kidsmum, well I am pretty eclectic in my reading anyway but I needed a graphic novel for my Genre Challenge. It was one of the first that came up on Amazon . It came down to this one or Black Hole (which I still might get) but the reviews on this were all brilliant so that's what swayed me in the end.

Go for it you won't regret it. It just keeps getting funnier the author is a genius.

I finished Woman's World a couple of hours ago. There were times when I had to stop reading for a bit it was so funny it was painful.

Well that is my mega Genre Challenge all done, 24 books of 24 different genres. I just have to write the last 2 reviews.on saturday. Or I may do them a bit later tonight just to get them done.

It's back to the doorstop Berlin 1945 history book , that may well be my last for this year.

Great job on completing your Challenge,James .

Sounds like you are going from one extreme to another from a REALLY funny book to a really serious one .

Time to change gears like driving forward at 80 mph,then jam it in reverse .

Good luck on completing your last big one for the year.

I have one to go to make my 50,but have been bumbling along ,trying to find one to hold my interest. Not from lack of books ,probably from too many !

Like a kid in the candy store, you dont know which choice to make .

Hi Julie thanks, coincidentally I wrote a long reply on your reading blog the other night about the mormon book you read and all the other recent ones but just when I posted it the internet connection went and it got lost and I felt too tired to write it all out again so sorry about that. 50 is very good going a good score to be proud of.

Hi James

Dont you hate when that happens ? You write out a long post ,and BAM, you lose it .

I think 50 is a good number for me,anyhow. I'll try to outdo myself this coming year, at least by ONE . :)

I was just now perusing the list of authors born in January for next month's reading . I think I'll toss in some classics then . Been a long time since I've read one .

Ah, good luck. I haven't planned any reading yet for january, Christmas seems like a big barrier to anything at the moment. Next year can wait till it gets here! I will pick something willy-nilly from the TBR pile New Years Day.

Yep,nothing wrong with holding off til Christmas is over . I'm the opposite of a procrastinator,whatever that word is. I'm always in a hurry to get everything organized ,but it usually backfires on me. I try to be organized,but end up getting mixed up even worse most times.

Just try to enjoy the holiday then you can concentrate more on reading . :)

:( I saw almost every deal, but I missed that one and only saw it afterwards on BD's Facebook feed. :( :( I couldn't believe it because I really want to read it!

Aw hun :empathy: I thought about you when I saw the deal, but I honestly thought you already had a copy. I've seen the book on one of your lists and for some reason it must've registered in my brain as your TBR list, otherwise I would've gotten you a copy :(

Oh, no worries! I have to admit that even I wasn't 100% sure whether or not I had it. I had to go and check my shelves. :blush2: I still have to read Stiff first anyway! And it is practically on top of my TBR pile right now. :)

Doing really good. I have polished off another 3 books since finishing the genre challenge and am now starting into my 2013 TBR pile already....so I am thinking about officially cutting off my 2012 reading log as it stands now at 85 books and anything else will go onto my 2013 total.

Can anybody guess who my avatar picture is?

I'm guessing it's the author you mention most often - Jack Vance?

! I've been meaning to ask you for ages who's in your avatar pic, I never would've guessed myself. Quite a handsome bloke, this Jack Vance, indeed!

Yes I am pleased I only targetted myself for 72

Well done for going 'overboard'! :)