The Mammoth Cheese by Sheri Holman

Weave

Title of Book: The Mammoth Cheese

Author: Sheri Holman

Paperback: 480 pages

Publisher: Virago Press Ltd (31 Aug 2004)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 1844081273

ISBN-13: 978-1844081271

When Manda Frank gives birth to an astonishing eleven babies, the world descends on her home town of Three Chimneys, Virginia. Beneath the intense media spotlight the town begins to give up its long-held secrets: from the unrequited love of August Vaughn, the town's avid Thomas Jefferson impersonator, to the more dangerous and subversive passions of Mr March, the local history teacher. Meanwhile, cheesemaker Margaret Prickett decides to highlight the plight of the rural community by creating 'The Mammoth Cheese' - a 1,235-pound wheel of Cheshire which she plans to parade all the way to Washington - while failing to notice the plight of her own teenage daughter Polly, who is caught up in the dangerous romance of rebellion, and veering precariously towards tragedy...

'The Mammoth Cheese' is a wonderful book, a great story with brilliant characters, you really get drawn into the story, you feel like you part of the town and you know everyone.

Rating: 10/10

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I know nothing about the American dairy industry but feel that I do, and am part of the world

Oh Louise, snap!, I was telling my sister about jersey cows the other week and she was like what?, I thought a lot of it was really interesting x