Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

Wow scary lists :smile: only read a few of them myself Karsa I think 14 of Frankie's and 17 of Kylies (and that was nearly all the childrens books) mind you I have to say I have only ever read a few of Karsa's Sci Fi as well.....maybe I need to up my reading selection and broaden my horizons again

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should've seen me last night, trying to figure out how to make an Open Office document from an Excel spreadsheet. I think I lost about 38% of my hair and the rest went gray.

:P

LOL. You could have just waited for me to wake up, woman! :P I could have done it for you in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail (or two shakes of the sauce bottle, as our ex-Prime Minister likes to say).

Impressive lists. I've read 4 of Frankie's and 8 of Kylie's. I read way too much sf and fantasy - or you guys don't read enough of them ;)

I think it's a bit of both. ;) I have a huge amount (well, a decent amount) of sci-fi and fantasy on my TBR pile, but they always seem to get overlooked in favour of other books. :(

When it's summer, I wish I had the guts to shave it all off!

Oh, if I had a dollar for every time I've thought that! Hey, when I come visit you next year, maybe we could shave our heads together and walk around like skinheads? :giggle:

OI! :theboss:

Oi! :theboss:

Oooh, look who's being all intimidating! We ain't scared of you! :razz:

Well, at least you still have a choice :lol:

*ahem* I must admit to thinking you rather good looking in that photo you posted. :wub:

I don't think you're the only one - that's why I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time - and judging by my TBR list it's not going to change any time soon :lol:

Well, I might not post much in your thread, but I'm paying attention! I see you and VF as the sci-fi gurus here, and I'm always interested to read your reviews and pick up some recommendations for the future. :)

Wow scary lists :smile: only read a few of them myself Karsa I think 14 of Frankie's and 17 of Kylies (and that was nearly all the childrens books) mind you I have to say I have only ever read a few of Karsa's Sci Fi as well.....maybe I need to up my reading selection and broaden my horizons again

Same old problem, isn't it? Too many books, too little time!

Well, at least you still have a choic

That might well be, but you'll look better with no hair than me! :(

I don't think you're the only one - that's why I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time - and judging by my TBR list it's not going to change any time soon

Maybe it's better that way - when I talk about them on sf/fantasy forums people just disgree with me anyway!

Aww, always the misunderstood lonely cowboy :D

LOL. You could have just waited for me to wake up, woman! I could have done it for you in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail (or two shakes of the sauce bottle, as our ex-Prime Minister likes to say).

You might've been able to do it quickly, BUT I would've had to wait for hours til you'd be up, WOMAN!

Oh, if I had a dollar for every time I've thought that! Hey, when I come visit you next year, maybe we could shave our heads together and walk around like skinheads?

Are you sure you want to go bald when it's -30 degrees? You whack. I ain't shaving, heeeeell no.

Also, I don't want to attrack any attention from the real skinheads. I have to live here after you're gone, you know!

Oooh, look who's being all intimidating! We ain't scared of you!

I know :( I'm all talk but no walk :(

If you posted your list, we might just find out that WE haven't read most of your books. There are just so many great books in the world, just because you haven't read all the books on Kylie's and my lists, doesn't mean you're not well read or haven't been openminded about your reading :)

*ahem* I must admit to thinking you rather good looking in that photo you posted. :wub:

Aw, shucks - right back atcha, K :friends0:

Well, I might not post much in your thread, but I'm paying attention! I see you and VF as the sci-fi gurus here, and I'm always interested to read your reviews and pick up some recommendations for the future. :)

:smile: I was genuinely intending to read less sf this year, but since Frankie made me do my TBR list I've realised I have to get through some of them before buying loads more :smile:

maybe I need to up my reading selection and broaden my horizons again

Ditto for me!

Oooh, look who's being all intimidating! We ain't scared of you! :razz:

Speak for yourself - me, personally, I'm terrified :hide::giggle2:

:smile: I was genuinely intending to read less sf this year, but since Frankie made me do my TBR list I've realised I have to get through some of them before buying loads more

She's a bully, isn't she? :empathy:

I'll protect you! *insert Superman emoticon* I know Frankie's weaknesses. ;)

I was genuinely intending to read less sf this year, but since Frankie made me do my TBR list I've realised I have to get through some of them before buying loads more

Oh, so it's frankie's fault! And when frankie says something, it's a command, but when Kylie says something, you go and rush to compile a list! Right. :drama:

:giggle:

Well at least you have the decency to be afraid of me.

She's a bully, isn't she? :empathy:

She's a vampire slayer??? Ohhh, 'bully', not 'buffy'. Monday mornings, jeez! :giggle2:

I'll protect you! *insert Superman emoticon* I know Frankie's weaknesses. ;)

Thanks Kylie! Won't you get a bit tired flying back and forth, though? :o

Oh, so it's frankie's fault! And when frankie says something, it's a command, but when Kylie says something, you go and rush to compile a list! Right. :drama:

:giggle:

:lol:

Yeah, and??? :P:giggle2:

Thanks Kylie! Won't you get a bit tired flying back and forth, though? :o

Superheros never get tired. :)

Yeah, and??? :P:giggle2:

Attaboy! Maybe you don't need my help to stand up to her after all... :D

Haha. I didn't think anyone would count up how many they've read from our lists. I'm flattered. :) Ooh, Frankie, we should make a combined list of all the books we've chosen that are the same. In the 1001 spreadsheet I have, the books that appear on all three lists are called the 'Core'. Ooh yeah. :)

Apparently it is kosher to lick planes as well. I'm watching How I Met Your Mother and Lily mentioned that Marshall is superstitious and licks planes when they go flying. She teased him for it and he was like 'well, we've never crashed!' :D

Love ya Frankie! *mwah*

I bet you are really going to gear yourself up for round 2. ;)

Edited by Kylie

Haha. I didn't think anyone would count up how many they've read from our lists. I'm flattered. :) Ooh, Frankie, we should make a combined list of all the books we've chosen that are the same. In the 1001 spreadsheet I have, the books that appear on all three lists are called the 'Core'. Ooh yeah. :)

I'm flattered too :) And I wouldn't mind seeing other people recommendations lists too!

I did mark the books we both had chosen with a red F on my thread, didn't you notice?

The lovely Frankie sent me Julie Dawn Cole's I Want It Now! in the mail. :) Thanks Frankie! I'm going to start reading it today.

I received the book on the 31st, which means I didn't quite make it one month without acquiring a book (you did that on purpose, didn't you!? :P) But at least *I* didn't buy a book, which is all that really matters. I'm quite proud of myself and I haven't had to fight too many urges to go on a book spree. Actually, that's a lie. I had to fight quite a few. But I survived!

My January round-up is a little pathetic. I only managed to finish 2 books (*sigh*) but I'm over halfway through 2 others, if that counts for anything.

In a couple of weeks I'll be finishing up at one of my jobs, so I'll hopefully have a bit more time for reading. I'll be working from home full time, which is a bit of a worry because I get most of my reading done when I'm commuting. I'll have to be strict and set aside an hour of reading per day (if not more).

Edited by Kylie

I received the book on the 31st, which means I didn't quite make it one month without acquiring a book (you did that on purpose, didn't you!? :P) But at least *I* didn't buy a book, which is all that really matters. I'm quite proud of myself and I haven't had to fight too many urges to go on a book spree. Actually, that's a lie. I had to fight quite a few. But I survived!

:D I wish I'd been that clever, but nope, it wasn't done on purpose! But like you said, it was a pressie, you didn't buy it yourself, so it doesn't count. And, had you been really upset about me screwing up your January, you could've left the package in the P.O. Box and gotten it today ;)

I'm very proud of you Kylie for fighting all those urges!! And you didn't fool me, I knew you must've fought many of them. There's no way you didn't want to buy any books in a whole month!!

My January round-up is a little pathetic. I only managed to finish 2 books (*sigh*) but I'm over halfway through 2 others, if that counts for anything.

Sure it counts! And besides, like you said, in no time you'll only have one job to take care of so you'll have more time to read. Because I haven't had to personal train your book spending self at all this year, I'm now going to convert to being a pain in your ass about the time you dedicate to book reading. Haha!

Ahhhh, I spy a list of Kylie & Frankie's favourite books! My new lists to start working from, I should think! :D

Oh also, congratulations on going through Jan without buying a book, you um.. certainly did better than me (It wasn't 19 bought, one sent..) :blush:

And, had you been really upset about me screwing up your January, you could've left the package in the P.O. Box and gotten it today

I thought of that for a second. And then I laughed like a hyena.

Sure it counts! And besides, like you said, in no time you'll only have one job to take care of so you'll have more time to read. Because I haven't had to personal train your book spending self at all this year, I'm now going to convert to being a pain in your ass about the time you dedicate to book reading. Haha!

I'm going to try to set aside 1 hour each day for reading. I'm starting with a small goal, and hopefully I'll be able to build it up a bit from there.

Can't wait to here what you make to I Want It Now!, I have it on my Kindle to be read.

I believe your post about getting the book and my interested response was what triggered Frankie to buy it for me. :) So I want to thank you, because I loved it! I'll give a slightly more detailed review shortly. :)

I wouldnt worry that you finished two books, two is better than none

Exactly! Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Ahhhh, I spy a list of Kylie & Frankie's favourite books! My new lists to start working from, I should think!

Aww, you're sweet, Ben. :)

Oh also, congratulations on going through Jan without buying a book, you um.. certainly did better than me (It wasn't 19 bought, one sent..)

Thanks! I still haven't bought a book, but I must confess to browsing a few book sites last night and maybe adding a couple of books to my shopping basket/s. I didn't actually buy them because I had work to do, but I actually have a few free hours to myself tonight, so there's no telling what's going to happen...;)

I Want it Now! Julie Dawn Cole 9/10

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, starring the wonderful Gene Wilder, is one of my all-time favourite movies. I never tire of watching it and it has a special place in my heart. I was thrilled to learn that one of the children, Julie Dawn Cole, who played the spoiled Veruca Salt, had written a book about her time making the movie.

The book is choc full of wonderful photos and anecdotes about Cole's time on the set. The movie is obviously very dear to her, and it shows in her lovely and loving anecdotes about her fellow cast members.

While the book obviously focused a great deal on Willy Wonka, there was a generous helping of information about her early life and later career, but not so much that it became uninteresting or overshadowed the main theme. I hadn't realised that Cole went on to a successful TV career and acted in many plays and movies in the UK. I'd like to see her act in something as a 'grown up'.

I can't wait to watch the movie again and pick up on the small details that I've missed in the past. :)

Ugh, Willy Wonka. Creepy! :lurker: (ETA: Okay, should have read your whole post properly. Now I've just insulted one of your favourite films ever! Sorry! It was on TV here at the weekend but I only saw the last 5 minutes. I want to read the book now, to see how both films compare - apparently Dahl hated Willy Wonka so much that he refused to have any other books adapted in his lifetime, so I feel a little vindicated - but I hope I haven't offended you. :hug: )

Ten Little Niggers by Agatha Christie

Is that the same as And The There Were None? I had an ancient copy of it somewhere but I'm not sure if I still have it - not sure I'd want to read it in public now with that title. I don't know where it came from as I haven't read it.

Have you guys actually done a combined list of your lists? I've read a few off yours and have quite a few on my 'to read' pile - perhaps I would have more luck with 'Kylie and frankie's books you must read before you die' than I'm likely to with the '1000 books...' :giggle2:

Edited by Janet

Have you guys actually done a combined list of your lists? I've read a few off yours and have quite a few on my 'to read' pile - perhaps I would have more luck with 'Kylie and frankie's books you must read before you die' than I'm likely to with the '1000 books...' :giggle2:

I think there may be more than 1000 on the K & F combined............................... :out:

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! :hide:

You might have found this yourself, Kylie - but there is an article from one of our newspapers on what happened to all the main characters here. It's not a paper I'd touch with a 10 foot pole, personally, but it's very popular here and the article is quite interesting if you haven't already seen it. :)