Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Yes, you can post now, Ben. :biggrin:

Hey just being on the safe side this time. :giggle:

Best of luck with your 2012 reading, can't wait to read your thoughts on your latest reads. Let's hope 2012's a good one for us both eh. :grinhat:

Edited by Ben

• 2 weeks later...

OMG Kylie !!!!! I didn't even attempt to read through your TBR list ohmy.gif

I know what you mean, it's one helluva list!! But I couldn't help myself, I had to go through each title, I just love going through Kylie's books, we have a pretty similar taste :blush2: Kylie's got so many awesome books that I just want to go and 'borrow' :giggle:

I hope you have a great bookish year 2012 Kylie :friends3:

Let's hope 2012's a good one for us both eh.

Indeed, Ben! I didn't have the greatest reading year this year, so I'm hoping for a better one in 2012. Good luck with your reading too.

Yes, happy reading in 2012 Kylie (and Ben :biggrin:) .. here's to another year full of books :alc:

I'll drink to that!

OMG Kylie !!!!! I didn't even attempt to read through your TBR list ohmy.gif

Your so organised though I'm well impressed. Happy 2012 reading

Haha. I don't expect anyone to really read through it (except Frankie!) It has been added to and revised over several years now. When I originally started it, it was a lot smaller, so all I really have to do is keep it up to date with new purchases (which actually hasn't been very easy given the large number of books I bought this year!) and then copy/paste into a new thread.

I know what you mean, it's one helluva list!! But I couldn't help myself, I had to go through each title, I just love going through Kylie's books, we have a pretty similar taste :blush2: Kylie's got so many awesome books that I just want to go and 'borrow' :giggle:

I hope you have a great bookish year 2012 Kylie

Aww, thanks hun! :) And ditto to everything you said.

Phew! I've done a lot of work to my book lists today: both to my spreadsheets offline and my posts here. I got so behind with everything in the second half of this year that all of my lists were rather out of date.

The TBR books in my challenge posts have now been populated. In 2011 I had an extra post for each challenge that showed the books on my wish list, but I decided to leave them off for 2012 because it means too much extra work to keep them updated. I'm also not doing as many challenges in 2012.

I also added quick links into the first post so I can access the rest more easily. :)

Have a fantastic reading year in 2012 Kylie. I am going to grab myself a hot chocolate and read through your lists .. bliss (lots of hugs, cheery smiles and thumbs up .. in lieu of the fact that I'm having difficulty with the emoticons .. the little rascals have all swapped places.) Your lists are always so inspirational, I'm going to look at them before I go to Amazon to spend my Christmas money .. that may be a mistake! (laughs uncontrollably until sick!)

Have a fantastic reading year in 2012 Kylie. I am going to grab myself a hot chocolate and read through your lists .. bliss (lots of hugs, cheery smiles and thumbs up .. in lieu of the fact that I'm having difficulty with the emoticons .. the little rascals have all swapped places.) Your lists are always so inspirational, I'm going to look at them before I go to Amazon to spend my Christmas money .. that may be a mistake! (laughs uncontrollably until sick!)

Coinkydink! I'm just about to read through your lists. I'm rather nervous about doing it though, because I'm afraid my wish list will grow exponentially. Oh yes, the emoticons are more annoying now, I think. I can't seem to just click to insert one; I have to drag it over from a separate window. And some of my most used emoticons don't appear in the main list at the bottom of the post.

Oh, speaking of chocolate and coincidences, did you see my comment on your FB photo of the rocky road? I mentioned that I wish I'd thought to make some for Christmas. Anyway, I spent Christmas day with Mum yesterday. At one point I walked into the kitchen and saw that Mum had all the ingredients for Rocky Road sitting on the bench! :D I hadn't even mentioned anything about it to her, so I was thrilled. I got to have my Rocky Road after all. :D

Umm, Frankie was right, your lists are hugely impressive and so organised. You must read books like a robot :giggle2:

I wish! My buying rate far exceeds my reading rate. I think it would be silly of me to say I'm going to attempt to reverse that trend in 2012, but I'm going to try to slow it down a lot.

I wish! My buying rate far exceeds my reading rate. I think it would be silly of me to say I'm going to attempt to reverse that trend in 2012, but I'm going to try to slow it down a lot.

I'm exactly the same - I can't help myself when it comes to acquiring more reading material! :)

Oh, speaking of chocolate and coincidences, did you see my comment on your FB photo of the rocky road? I mentioned that I wish I'd thought to make some for Christmas. Anyway, I spent Christmas day with Mum yesterday. At one point I walked into the kitchen and saw that Mum had all the ingredients for Rocky Road sitting on the bench! :D I hadn't even mentioned anything about it to her, so I was thrilled. I got to have my Rocky Road after all. :D

Aww ... Mum's sort everything out don't they? I'm glad you got to make it after all, ours is all gone *sad face* but it was good while it lasted. My lists are very short compared with yours ... I'm not very organised plus I'm easily daunted (which translates as too lazy). It doesn't really matter if you are buying more books than you can read, you have all the time in the world. You don't want to be buying books when you're old, you'll be too busy buying incontinence pads and puréeing your food *huge wink* .. you'd never get them all on the bus anyway. Buy them now and spend the rest of your life reading them .. that's the best way *big huggles*

Did you spend Christmas day on the beach Kylie? .. we all think you did .. it was even on our news yesterday ... Australians sunning themselves on Christmas Day. I looked for you but all I saw was some guy in a Santa suit amongst some bronzed bodies .. it was cold and drizzly here *green resentful face* .. bet they didn't put that on your news??

I've just had a proper read through all your lists, I'm so jelous both of your books and your organisation in typing them all out! Happy Reading in 2012 :)

Thanks Laura! Happy reading to you too. :) I haven't had a chance to check out many other 2012 threads yet. I can't wait to see what everyone else has planned for next year.

I love that it's still four days away from 2012 and you're already on page 3 of your book thread! Happy book acquisition and reading in 2012, Kylie :)

Haha. Yes, me and my endless lists. It'll slow down once the year actually starts and my reading probably dwindles. :( I'm hoping my book buying will also dwindle quite a lot, which will mean a lot fewer posts.

I started reading my lovely new edition of Joseph Heller's Catch-22 today. Most of it will be read next year, so I'll consider it my first read for 2012. :) It's been quite a few years since I last read it, and it's just as wonderful as I remember (and I'm only a few pages in!)

I fixed my non-fiction TBR lists today and played around with some other posts.

As this seems to be the reading blog to hang out in, I've a question for you guys.

How do you classify the first read of the year? Is it the first book you start after the first? Or is it a book you've started with in December and then finished in 2012? I've got quite a few on the go at the moment and if I finish them all in the new year do I get to count them all as 2012 reads?

Yes, these are the important questions of life that keep me awake at night. ;)

Edited by Ben

These are very important questions indeed, Ben. :) I've pretty much given my answer already, but I'll elaborate (because I'm at work, in need of a distraction, and I generally like to ramble on and on about books).

I split my reading for the year into months, and I try to time it so I start a new book around the beginning of the month. Generally, if I start a book in month 1 and read over half of it in that month, then I count it as a month 1 book. If I start it in month 1 but read over half of it in month 2, then I consider it a month 2 book.

I've had further problems this year because I've read some books over a period of months. For these books, I'll probably just add them into the month in which I finished them.

Of course, you can do it whatever way you see fit and you can 'cheat' if you want. By cheating, I mean you can change the rules as you go along to suit yourself. So if you choose to count your current reads as 2011, but at the end of 2012 you're not happy with the number of books you've read, you could always go back and change your current reads to 2012. ;) Let me know what you decide!

Happy reading for 2012 Kylie, hope you have a great year! :)

Thank you Charm! I hope you have a great year too. :)

I've kicked off 2012 with a re-read of one of the greatest books ever, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's been exactly 6 years since I first (and last) read it, which has nothing to do with anything - I just thought I'd mention it.

I've also started reading To the Nines by Janet Evanovich. It's been over a year since I last read about Stephanie Plum's adventures, so it's good to back with Morelli and Ranger and Lula. :)

I have successfully made it through 5 days without buying a book. This isn't such a big deal until you consider how many I bought last year. In 2010 I bought around 400 books and I swore to myself that I wouldn't go past that in 2011. At the start of 2011, my TBR pile was at 795; there was no way in heck I was going to go over 1,000!

By the end of 2011, I had bought *gulp* around 550 books and my TBR pile now stands at 1,305. Ridiculous.

This year I have a couple of great reasons to buy far fewer books (one excuse is obviously the size of my TBR pile). I will likely be leaving my day job soon to work from home full-time. This means I will no longer have a steady income so I'll need to be much more careful with my money. Some of the bookshops that have been the most responsible for me buying so many books are right in the heart of Sydney. Since I won't be working there anymore, I doubt I'll head into town very often, so I'm effectively removing myself from temptation. :)

I'm also hoping to go on a special holiday next year (anyone who has seen Frankie's recents threats to me about spending money will probably figure out where I want to go ;)). So that is even more incentive to save rather than spend! If I can just keep myself away from the two book fairs in Canberra (those alone are probably responsible for 200-250 of my book purchases last year), it'll be sweet.

Wish me luck!

Forgot to mention...I was browsing book sites today and found another great list: Penguin's list of books you must read before you die (all books published by Penguin, of course). I was scrolling through the list and recognised a large number of books that are also on the 1001 list, so I thought it would be a fun (yes, and easy) challenge to try...

A couple of minutes later I read the introductory paragraph and realised that their list is simply an extract of Penguin-published books from the 1001 book. Good grief. :doh:

Good luck Kylie! You do make me feel better about my TBR pile, but my problem is the new books that are released, it would really help if all authors would decide to take a year out to let us all catch up somewhat!

Maybe you could plan in advance to be somewhere else when the book fairs are on, so you are not tempted when the time comes? :smile:

I've kicked off 2012 with a re-read of one of the greatest books ever, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's been exactly 6 years since I first (and last) read it, which has nothing to do with anything - I just thought I'd mention it.

Still sadly sitting on my TBR pile waiting to be read, as I always pass it over when chosing a new one. I am determined to get around to it this year though, especially with your glowing recommendation.

I have successfully made it through 5 days without buying a book. This isn't such a big deal until you consider how many I bought last year. In 2010 I bought around 400 books and I swore to myself that I wouldn't go past that in 2011. At the start of 2011, my TBR pile was at 795; there was no way in heck I was going to go over 1,000

By the end of 2011, I had bought *gulp* around 550 books and my TBR pile now stands at 1,305. Ridiculous.

Much congratulations and yay'ing for getting so far without buying a book - not far to go at all. :lol:

I'm also hoping to go on a special holiday next year (anyone who has seen Frankie's recents threats to me about spending money will probably figure out where I want to go ;)). So that is even more incentive to save rather than spend! If I can just keep myself away from the two book fairs in Canberra (those alone are probably responsible for 200-250 of my book purchases last year), it'll be sweet.

It's great that you've changed job and as a result have made yourself further away from temptations. I think I'd be okay if there wasn't websites like Amazon - as a result I can't cut myself off from temptation. The holiday's a great incentive too, so best of luck on your endeavours to not buy more books, and stay away from those pesky book fairs. :lol:

Edited by Ben