Looking for a good 'general purpose' cookery book

I've been asked to give someone a good 'general purpose' cookery book for Christmas. Not a speciality one or a themed one, just a general purpose book with good, but not too difficult or too easy, meals to cook. Preferably not a celebrity one as the recipient isn't t too keen on celebrities.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have an old copy of the "Readers Digest Cookery Year" sitting around at home and think a modern version of something like that would be good, but without recommendations it's hard to know what to chose.

That looks gorgeous Duncan, so much so I have added it to my basket to buy in the new year! :blush: I particularly liked the comment made in the first review that reads "I've found them original (not in a ground breaking way but imaginative takes on old favourites) and reliably good." That says to me decent recipes without a load of faffy nonsense. :D

Good food cook books are normally good. I'm always on their website using recipes. It's updated constantly.

They do all sorts of cook books depending on what you're after from meals for 2, quick 30 minute suppers, one pot meals and many more.

Most recipes are fairly straight forward although they do have some harder one's thrown in too. Def worth a look in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Edited by Star

Well my money is definitely on the Good Housekeeping Book. Of all the cookery books I have that is my Bible. I go back to it time and again for the cookery basics and some mouthwatering recipes.

I have one of the Good Food cook books, the one pot dishes one, and do indeed find it quite useful.

Amazon say the copy of Bills cook book is on its way, looking forward to seeing what it is like. Thanks for the other suggestions all, I've had a look and added some to my wishlist as I like cookery books too. It's tempting just to look things up online, but I find a book more fun to browse through for ideas.

The ultimate "go to" cook book we have is The Joy of Cooking. It has great recipes and talks about basics, like buying the right cut of meat, what kind of pan to use, etc. How to cook different cuts of meat as well. http://www.amazon.co...23718700&sr=1-2

Everything from soup to salad, deserts and all inbetween.

Edited by pontalba

just a general purpose book with good, but not too difficult or too easy, meals to cook. Preferably not a celebrity one as the recipient isn't t too keen on celebrities.

If stuffed and roasted slowly celebrities can be quite tasty :giggle2:

The Good Housekeeping Step by Step Cookery Book is one of the standards in this household too. I learned to cook using Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course, and remain a great fan of that one too - much better in my eyes than her later Complete How To Cook. She only became a celebrity because she was so good!

My favourite 'everyday' cookery book at present is Diane Henry's Cook Simple. Amazon reviews are unanimously laudatory too. I've cooked recipe after recipe from it, all highly popular within the family. Her other books are really good as well, and equally praised in the reviews.

Edited by willoyd