Hello everybody! :)

Roy

Hello everybody, my name's Rodrigo but please call me Roy. I think Rodrigo is too formal and besides I don't like it so much.

Well, first of all I'd like to talk a little bit about me,

I'm from Mexico City, yes, I'm not an English native speaker, and I think some of you are wandering why do I decided to join into an English forum :P, well, it's because I'd like to become a teacher of English, but not only that, I do really love books, it's a shame that not everybody like reading, and why a forum of English books? I made a promise to myself which says: "You will read one to one book[i don't know if I wrote it well]" (I mean, one book in Spanish, one book in English, one in Spanish, one in English, and so on). I searched for a lot of forums and this is the one I most liked, so I'm here writing an introduction post. :)

Emmm, on the last post I read, I found there was some questions, so I made my own questions:)

What are your favourite bands/groups?

I'm fond of classical music, actually I studied classical guitar for three years when I was studying at high-school, but favourite bands would be Muse, Aerosmith, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, etc. :) I love to hear the guitar solos. I also enjoy listening music in other languages, for example music in German like Oomph (Industrial Metal, like Rammstein but less heavy), the other night I heard something from Jena Lee and I liked it so much, she sings in French. :)

Your favourite activities?

Of course one of them is reading ha,ha, but because of school I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted, now that I'm starting my holidays I'm going to eat all the books I've bought during the semester.

When I'm not reading I'm watching anime, but I don't think of myself as an otaku, I was in a fansub as a translator from English to Spanish, but it died so now I have no job :(.

When I'm not reading or watching some anime, I'm wasting my time on the computer, and I have to make something about it, because it has become an addiction, I managed to erase my Facebook profile and now I spent the half of the time on this thing than I used to some time ago.

How many languages do you speak?

By now I'm only able to speak Spanish and English, so if any of you need some help with Spanish you can feel free to ask me. :), but I'd like to pick French up again, I tried to study French when I was younger, I wasn't able to speak English by then, I hope to do it better this time :9, I'm still designing the steps I have to follow in order to make well progress. The reason? I'm obsessed in reading Les Misérables in French, I haven't read it yet, but everybody tells me that it's one of the best books written ever!

And the final question: What are your favourite books?

To me, it's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez, I can read it at any time, and N number of times and I still like it.

Well, Márquez is my favourite writer, followed by Edgar Allan Poe. "The Raven" is the poem I most fancy. My dream is to read Shakespeare's plays in its original version, that's why I'm studying English, but I'm still so far to reach Shakespeare's plays :(, I noticed it when I tried to read Moby Dick, and to be honest, it was simply impossible for me to read it, its range of vocabulary is out of my possibilities at the moment.

So you know me now :), I hope to make new friends, I have some bookworms friends, but only in Spanish, I haven't found an English one, so it would be really great to have a friend who reads in English. :)

PD. As I said, English is not my mother language, so please forgive the grammar or spelling mistakes I made, I do my best writing in English, really. :)

Hi Roy

You certainly sound like you have an interesting life. It'll be nice to have someone from even another country on here. There are several different ones that I have run across ,so it's a good group to sign up with. You'll get a wide variety of people that way.

Good for you,wanting to be a teacher. That's a great career choice .

I'm from Ohio ,a wee little town.Our main language here is Hillbilly, so that should give you another one to learn .

As for music, it is neat that you like Aerosmith and Pink Floyd -- 2 bands that were popular in my younger years,which was back in caveman days .

Could I ask what ANIME is and OTAKU ???

You sound like you have some good taste in books also . Les Mis is also one on my to-read list. I have started it many times,but never gotten very far. I'm not sure why,because I really enjoyed the writing style .Maybe just the size of the book .

No wonder Shakespeare has been a bit of a challenge. As VF said, it is pretty hard to understand ,no matter what your language.They worded things so much differently then.

Great to have you join in. Hope you like it here . :)

Julie: Anime is japanese animated cartoons, in a very specific "anime" style... Otaku is a really hardcore anime fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_zfJY5JcE

I never really watched any, apart from Sailor Moon which I loved when I was a child.

Roy: welcome :22: may I ask how old you are? Can you tell us a little about Mexico?

I'm also not a native English speaker :)

Edited by Hyzenthlay

Thank you Hyzenthlay

As you can probably tell, I'm quite out of the loop on a lot of things. I must be too old to know what a lot of these things are . Those are the "pretty people" cartoons. I like their faces and eyes,very pretty .

Thanks for the video !

vickyh: Oh, now you've inspired me even more to read it :), I'll do my best to learn French, I have to admit I have Les Mis in English, but something inside of me tells me not to read it yet. :S

Julie: Yeah, that's the anime, :), I also like read manga (The Japanese comic), but as I suffer of dyslexia it's really difficult to read it in the correct order :P

Hyzenthlay: Thank you so much :), your video is really beautiful :); I've lived 20 happily years ^_^, and... Mexico, I really love Mexico, but I don't know what can I tell you about Mexico hehe, it's a really beautiful country and all people over here are really tactful, we have the second best university in Latin America, La Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) which means, National Autonomous University of Mexico. Mexican food is really delicious haha, I love eating tacos! And Pozole (have you eaten Pozole?) :), what elese? Mexico is known by its culture, we have really old traditions like El día de muertos (the day of the dead), we put an offering to welcome our dead loved people, those are my favourites deays in the year. If you are planing to come Mexico I can give you some tour over the Historic City Center. :)

vodkafan: Oh, thank you, you're giving me more strength to keep studying English haha, so Shakespeare is difficult ever for you, Oh... Well, do you have any advice before reading it? Do you recommend some books as a training?

.vodkafan: Oh, thank you, you're giving me more strength to keep studying English haha, so Shakespeare is difficult ever for you, Oh... Well, do you have any advice before reading it? Do you recommend some books as a training?

Not really, I would say just pick one of his plays that the story appeals to you. That way it is easier to stick with it when you get to a hard part, if you are interested in the characters. I am sure there are notebooks on his plays that help you through the language and explain it but I don't know where to start looking , some of the students on here probably would .

Not really, I would say just pick one of his plays that the story appeals to you. That way it is easier to stick with it when you get to a hard part, if you are interested in the characters. I am sure there are notebooks on his plays that help you through the language and explain it but I don't know where to start looking , some of the students on here probably would .

Oh, I see, I'll try to read it, but I decided to read Shakespeare after having read all Poe's works. That's my second favourite writer. :P May I ask who is your favourite one?

Roy

Thanks for the explanation .I learn something new every day in here . Now I will know what Anime means .

Can I ask if your dyslexia affects your reading of books with just words in them or is it just the comic-type books with all the pictures ?

You must have done very well to overcome that obstacle,to be able to attend college and aim for teaching as a career.

Very impressive :)

Roy

Thanks for the explanation .I learn something new every day in here . Now I will know what Anime means .

Can I ask if your dyslexia affects your reading of books with just words in them or is it just the comic-type books with all the pictures ?

You must have done very well to overcome that obstacle,to be able to attend college and aim for teaching as a career.

Very impressive :)

Reading books help me to bear my dyslexia problems, :), so fortunately it doesn't affect my reading :). Oh yes, I didn't say it, to be a teacher of English is not my aim as a career :P, I'm studying mathematics and my really aim is to become an investigator, ^_^.

My dyslexia is a really big obstacle when I'm doing calculations, like 3+2 = 5 it's possible to me to think 3+2 = 6 (because I didn't see it was a sum and I made a product) that's why I'm not studying engineering or something similar, mathematics uses more logic and a mathematician never NEVER does calculations. :P

Another thing about me, I'm rally absent-minded, haha, yes, for example this semester, I forgot to attend my last number theory exam, or I usually forget the name of my friends, old friends, or sometimes I don't remember where my house is, or I take the wrong bus, or... Well, I think you get what I mean.

Hyzenthlay: Oh, I've tried to read Shakespeare for five times, and all of them I made a mess because of the vocabulary, but now I'll read it for sure, may I ask how much did it take you to read it? And which play is your favourite?

Hi Roy

I'm sorry I must have gotten mixed up .I thought you were taking English courses to become an English teacher .

See , I think we have something in common .I am forgetful too and get confused at times .

I'm really glad that reading helps you overcome your dyslexia . I feel sorry for people who can't read because of some type of health reason, etc.

I think it would be very sad to go through life and not have the ability or pleasure of reading, don't you ?

An investigator sounds like a very interesting job. Would you mean like a detective,chasing criminals, or more along a different type of investigating ?

Hi Roy

I'm sorry I must have gotten mixed up .I thought you were taking English courses to become an English teacher .

See , I think we have something in common .I am forgetful too and get confused at times .

I'm really glad that reading helps you overcome your dyslexia . I feel sorry for people who can't read because of some type of health reason, etc.

I think it would be very sad to go through life and not have the ability or pleasure of reading, don't you ?

An investigator sounds like a very interesting job. Would you mean like a detective,chasing criminals, or more along a different type of investigating ?

Oh no, when I said I want to become an investigator I meant that I want to do research into mathematics, I'm sorry, I think I've used the wrong word all this time. :(

Hi Roy

I should have understood what you meant when you mentioned math . It's ok, we'll get it all figured out soon . :)

You are doing very well with your english words,so no need at all to make an apology .

Oh, thank you Julie, really :), may I ask you which is your favourite writer? Have you read something about Julio Cortázar or Jorge Luis Borges?

Hey Roy, welcome to BCF. :welcome2:

Thank you Ben, :) I hope to post ofte. :) One question, how can I find the discussion about a book that I'm reading? For example... Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carrol?

Oh, I see, I'll try to read it, but I decided to read Shakespeare after having read all Poe's works. That's my second favourite writer. :P May I ask who is your favourite one?

My favourite author is Jack Vance, second is Jane Austen

Oh, thank you Julie, really :), may I ask you which is your favourite writer? Have you read something about Julio Cortázar or Jorge Luis Borges?

Hi Roy

I sure wish I had a quick answer for you on this one. It depends on my mood,since I read a lot of different type books,all depending on my mood .

If I look back at some books that really stick out in my mind, I'd have to give you this list,which is by no way a complete list of favorite writers, this will just be naming a few :

Alan Gurganus --Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All

Bryce Courtenay -The Power of One

Pat Conroy- Price of Tides

Robert Goddard - Past Caring

Bill Bryson -several books, favorite was At Home

Wally Lamb- I Know This much Is True

Larry McMurtry -Lonesome Dove

Susan Howatch -Wheel of Fortune

Charles Dickens & Wilkie Collins -- tied for some of my favorite classic writers ..

Khaled Hosseini- Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns

Rohinton Mistry-A Fine Balance

I guess I'll stop there for now . There are lots of others I have really enjoyed,but these stick out in my mind currently .

My favourite author is Jack Vance, second is Jane Austen

I haven't read Jane Austen, but I know she's really good, maybe I'll read something from her next weekend. Thank you so much :).

Hi Roy

I sure wish I had a quick answer for you on this one. It depends on my mood,since I read a lot of different type books,all depending on my mood .

If I look back at some books that really stick out in my mind, I'd have to give you this list,which is by no way a complete list of favorite writers, this will just be naming a few :

Alan Gurganus --Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All

Bryce Courtenay -The Power of One

Pat Conroy- Price of Tides

Robert Goddard - Past Caring

Bill Bryson -several books, favorite was At Home

Wally Lamb- I Know This much Is True

Larry McMurtry -Lonesome Dove

Susan Howatch -Wheel of Fortune

Charles Dickens & Wilkie Collins -- tied for some of my favorite classic writers ..

Khaled Hosseini- Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns

Rohinton Mistry-A Fine Balance

I guess I'll stop there for now . There are lots of others I have really enjoyed,but these stick out in my mind currently .

Wow, too much books, honestly I haven't read any book from your list, is there one you highly recommend? Thank you so much. :)

hello and welcome :)

Thank you, and hello, :).

Hi Roy

I think I'd say it depends on what you might have an interest in learning more about ,or what time frame you are interested in .

I guess if I were choosing for you, I'd probably suggest The Kite Runner or The Power of One ,mainly because they are told by a young boy's point of view, growing up in a particular place and situation . The first is set in Afghanistan, second in Africa .

It'd be really hard for me to say what book you might like best .I don't think you'd go wrong with either of them .

Edited by julie

Hola Roy, Que tal?

Hope you enjoy it on here and your English is marvellous I know I struggle to read in a foreign language, and it is easier with books you are familiar with but persevere and it will get there. :D

Hi Roy

I think I'd say it deoends on what you might have an interest in learning more about ,or what time frame you arp interested in .

I guess if I were choosing for you, I'd probably suggest The Kite Runner or The Power of One ,mainly because they are told by a young boy's point of view, growing up in a particular place and situation . The first is set in Afghanistan, second in Africa .

It'd be really hard for me to say what book you might like best .I don't think you'd go wrong with either of them .

I would like to read it, I'll try to find it :), the problem is to find it in English hahaha.

Hola Roy, Que tal?

Hope you enjoy it on here and your English is marvellous I know I struggle to read in a foreign language, and it is easier with books you are familiar with but persevere and it will get there. :D

Oh, thank you so much, I think that my English is not so good, I'm lacking of a lot of vocabulary :P. Do you speak another language?