Hi, I'm Vicky

vickyh

Hi all :) I'm Vicky and just joined after discovering this forum on the net. I'm currently living in Bucks and will read almost anything I can get my hands on, mostly crime thrillers and historical fiction. I am also a fan of a genre of fiction that seems to be quite popular at the moment but I don't know what you would call it, always about someone discoving something about the past, usually involving a big house, thinking of Kate Morton and Rachel Hore.

While I'm not reading I love living in the country side after years in the city so spend a lot of time on long walks and bike rides (when weather permits) and I still work in London so have a long commute (plenty of time to read :))

Look forward to meeting you all, having some interesting dicussions and hopefully making some friends.

Hi everyone,

Abcintha, living in Stoke Mandeville. I quite like it, can enjoy the countryside without being in the middle of nowhere.

Hi Julie, it's quite a silly book. Giles Brandreth wrote a couple of books with real historic characters involved in murder mysteries. This one has Oscar Wilde, Bran Stoker and Arthur Conan Doyle at a party where the guest keep getting murdered. Good fun so long as you don't take too seriously :)

Hi Vicky

Wow, that would be quite an interesting mix of characters to put together,wouldn't it ?

It sounds like a fun read,though .

How many did he write like this,and what are some of the other character combos ?

The way the reading circle works is that one person hosts it each month, and chooses a theme or genre of book they want to read. They open a thread for everyone on the forum to nominate books on that theme that they would like to read and think would be interesting to discuss. At the end of the nominations, the host puts together a shortlist of books based on the nominations and seconds for all the books, and puts up a poll for everyone to vote on. The winning book in the poll is the chosen book for the next month, and anyone who wants to join in, reads the book in preparation for the 1st of the month. The host will then start up a thread for the book with a set of questions to start the discussion, and then everyone can get stuck in with their thoughts on the book.

So, for example, Kylie is the host for January and chose short stories as the genre she wanted to read, and the nomination thread was set up in November here http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9354-january-2012-reading-circle/, then the poll for voting on the short list was here http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9400-january-2012-reading-circle-vote/, and you can see that The Bloody Chamber and other stories by Angela Carter won, and on the 1st of January there will be a new thread for the discussion on the book.

Every member of the forum is welcome to join in the reading circle and, hopefully, everyone now is either reading, or planning to read the book over the next few weeks, and then we'll have a good discussion in January. :smile2:

The threads stay open, so if you've read any of the books that have previously been chosen, you can still add to the discussion and write your own thoughts on the book or answer some of the questions.

Hope that helps!

Edited by chesilbeach

• 2 weeks later...