Sally's Reading Lists 2012 onwards

Easy Reader

Thanks for the interesting review! This is a book that's on my wishlist, among with quite a few Andy Warhol titles, written by/about him, and I'm disappointed to hear you didn't find it very enjoyable nor a good autobio, but I am thankful now that I know I am better off if I don't expect too much from the book. Maybe that way I'll find it a decent read.

The first part was fine but the second part I was less keen on I am not sure if its because the style changed or its just that I lost interest

I agree on your review of this :) And I was also really keen on watching Black Adder right after I finished the book. Haven't had a chance to do so, though, unfortunately.

What did you think of the end?

When Fry is first introduced to cocaine? Didn't it just make you go 'arrrrrgh, I can't believe you ended the book with this kind of a cliffhanger??' ? :D It drove me nuts, for one!

well I am ok on that one because I still have to go back and read Moab is my Washpot whilst waiting for the next instalment :D

well I am ok on that one because I still have to go back and read Moab is my Washpot whilst waiting for the next instalment :D

:D You just have more patience than I do, that's it! Because I haven't read that Moab book, either, and I'd rather just read the coke book :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

:D You just have more patience than I do, that's it! Because I haven't read that Moab book, either, and I'd rather just read the coke book :giggle:

I am getting impatient now that I can't find any mention of it anywhere I thought a hardback release date at least would be on the horizon. Just how long am I going to have to wait.

Carry On Jeeves - PG Wodehouse

Right ho this was my first Jeeves and Wooster and I started off loving it and laughed out loud many times but then unfortunatley I got a bit bored with it. Each chapter was basically the same format as the one before and the next one to come. I still enjoyed it and will read more but might just read a chapter inbetween other books here and there break it up a bit. I do love a lot of the style and phrasing of the writing and I admire Woosters lifestyle and wish I could live comfortably with no worries or concerns and have someone pick up the pieces as I go.

Elephants Can Remember - Agatha Christie

from Amazon

Hercule Poirot is determined to solve an old husband and wife double murder that is still an open verdict…

Hercule Poirot stood on the cliff-top. Here, many years earlier, there had been a tragic accident. This was followed by the grisly discovery of two more bodies – a husband and wife – shot dead.

But who had killed whom? Was it a suicide pact? A crime of passion? Or cold-blooded murder? Poirot delves back into the past and discovers that ‘old sin leave long shadows’.

This has to be my favourite Christie book so far. I found the story was told at just the right pace and the characters were easy to remember (I often suffer from too many character syndrome). I found the mystery unravelled nicely and although I had worked out some of it I hadn't worked out all of it so wasn't too much of a disappointment.

Edited by Easy Reader

• 4 months later...

Looks Like I have got some catching up to do (my main reason for not keeping up to date with my reviews is I don't really have much to say about any of them but feel I should give some acknowledgement)

Charlotte Street - Danny Wallace

I read this for my comedy month. Although it was light hearted it wasn't exactly a comedy but was enjoyable to read.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Both re-read both of which I enjoyed much better second time around

There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom - Louis Sacher

I read this for children's month as it was recommended by my niece. I didn't really enjoy it I got the feeling it was supposed to have a "message" but I didn't learn anything from it.

One of Our Thurdsy's is Missing - Jasper Fforde

Good old Thursday I think her stories are going to be endless.

Deception Point - Dan Brown

I wasn't looking forward to reading this and have had it on my shelf since reading the da vinvi code many moons ago but I decided it was time to read it or send it to charity. I didn't really enjoy the first half but it soon picked up and I did enjoy it by the end.

Viridis - Calista Taylor

My first venture into the world of steampunk. I really hope that this book isn't a good example of the genre. There wasn't much of a story, the characters were very one dimensional and two of the characters may as well have been the same person they werre so similar. But it was a free book so I wasn't really expecting groundbreaking stuff.

The Mystery on the Blue Train - Agatha Christie

Too many characters

Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne

Better than I was expecting glad I did give it a go.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling

Again re-read better second time around (I am now wondering how long I should leave the whole series before another re-read)

At Bertrams Hotel - Agatha Christie

Nice quick and easy although I did remember who did it from watching this one on television

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

My favourite in the series so far slightly. More grown up that the previous ones.

Mrs McGinty's Dead - Agatha Christie

It could have been anyone and I am still not sure who did it.

Why Didn't They Ask Evans - Agatha Christie

Really enjoyed this one two twenty somethings solve the mystery with what I read to be comic effect but I don't think it was written like that. My new favourite Christie.

The Radley's - Matt Haig

I started reading this for children's month but didn't finish it then so carried it forward to fantasy month but didn't finish it then either. Its a young adult book about a family of vampires where the teenage children don't know they are vampires at the start and about how they find out and then deal with it. Although it didn't hold my interest to read it quickly it was easy to put down and pick up again in between other books.

The Mystery on the Blue Train - Agatha Christie

Too many characters

Mrs McGinty's Dead - Agatha Christie

It could have been anyone and I am still not sure who did it.

:D My favourite two reviews of the week I think :D

Glad to see that Thursday is still having excellent adventures .. I am so behind but everytime the book gets mentioned it reminds me that I must pick it up. Jasper's stories always require total concentration and brainwork which is probably why I don't pick them up automatically but I'm always glad when I do .. they're always so entertaining.

Hope you're well Sally xx

:D My favourite two reviews of the week I think :D

Glad to see that Thursday is still having excellent adventures .. I am so behind but everytime the book gets mentioned it reminds me that I must pick it up. Jasper's stories always require total concentration and brainwork which is probably why I don't pick them up automatically but I'm always glad when I do .. they're always so entertaining.

Hope you're well Sally xx

I have only read his Thursday books I said to myself I would read all the Thursday then try one of his others and then the last Thursday came out so I waited and now I have read that I see there is another hardback (will wait for paperback)

I am well thank you I have been quite busy lately and not really been keeping up with the forum but I have finished one of my bookmarks. How are you keeping ?

403984163.jpg

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Both re-read both of which I enjoyed much better second time around

I haven't re-read these myself (I have the others), but I think that they're better the second time around because one already knows what's going to happen and one doesn't have to rush through the pages to get to the end: one can really savour every single page :smile2:

One of Our Thurdsy's is Missing - Jasper Fforde

Good old Thursday I think her stories are going to be endless.

Good old Thursday indeed :) I've only read the first novel, but I know (and I've heard from members on here) that I'm in for some real treats with the rest of the books! :)

Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne

Better than I was expecting glad I did give it a go.

Those are promising sentiments, I should give the book a go.

The Radley's - Matt Haig

I started reading this for children's month but didn't finish it then so carried it forward to fantasy month but didn't finish it then either. Its a young adult book about a family of vampires where the teenage children don't know they are vampires at the start and about how they find out and then deal with it. Although it didn't hold my interest to read it quickly it was easy to put down and pick up again in between other books.

So you did finish it in the end? What did you think of the twist in the very end?

403984163.jpg

Beautiful! :)

I'm very well thank you Sally. What a lovely job you've made of the bookmark :)

Apart from the Thursday's I've only read Jasper's Shades of Grey (that title is a bit unfortunate now .. I'm sure Jasper will use that to his advantage at some point .. bound to make a pun out of it or something) .. but I haven't read the sequel or the Dragonslayer stories .. though I really must.

• 4 weeks later...

Frankie ^ The Radley's - yes I liked the end it all rounded up nicely

Poppy ^ On your recomendation I treated myself to Shades of Grey for my birthday so will be reading that soonish

October - Something newly Published in 2012

The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling

I really enjoyed this book especially the second half and more importantly the ending. Hopefully a review will be coming soon.

Edited by Easy Reader

• 3 weeks later...

November - Historical Fiction (which according to the genre challenge is pre WWII but this is actually from 1960's onwards but Wikipedia seems to think its historical fiction so I will go with them)

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

I really don't know if I liked this book or not to be honest. Its a story of an American priest's wife and four daughters who all go to live in Africa to convert the locals to the Baptist way of thinking. The books in largely told from the point of view of the four daughters and occassionally the wife. I much preferred the first part of the book when the girls were younger and more naive and really enoyed a lot of the phraseology and their observations when they first arrived in Africa. But from the middle of the book and onwards it became more political and quite frankly boring which was such a shame. I have read two other BK's books and really enjoyed one but not the other. I really like her writing style its just unfortunate that I am not always interested in what she is writing about.

Oh Dear Silvia - Dawn French 8.5/10

I hadn't planned on reading this but someone gave me their copy so I thought I would give it a go. Its a great little book nice and quick and easy to read.

Silvia is in a coma and various people have drawn up a rota to visit and talk to her to hopefully bring her out of her coma. Silvia's visitors like to chat. There were a couple of the characters who I found really perked up the story and I couldn't wait for their chapters. Particularly Silvia's cleaner who is very keen on Silvia waking up so she could get paid.

The very start of the book I was very conscious of it being written by Dawn French but it didn't take long at all for all the characters own personalities to take over.

All in all I really enjoyed this books and will be looking out for A Tiny Bit Marvellous now.

• 1 month later...

I think I will be treating myself to A Tiny Bit Marvellous with my Christmas vouchers as I really did enjoy Oh Dear Silvia to the point I am already considering re-reading it.

stopped reading a bit as Christmas kind of got in the way but have just managed to squeeze three more books to cmplete my two goals, being the genre challange and to read 12 Agatha Christies this year

Genre challange - December - War

was hoping to avoid war as I completely lose interest when war rears its ugly head but I have been meaning to read War Horse for a while so thoght no time like the present kil two birds with one stone so to speak. I did enjoy it but it wasn't really what I was expecting and I had to keep reminding myself that it was being told from the horses' point of view which didn't sit well with me

12 Agatha Christies in the year (ie one a month or as near to as possible)

The Sittaford Mystery - didn't like the characters therefore wasn't really that interested.

Hercule Poirot's Christmas - slightly meatier than her normal murder really enjoyed this one