Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get most of mine from the library or from charity shops although we have just been to the States so I took advantage of the weak dollar and spent quite a lot in Barnes and Noble. Family and friends also pass books on to me and I to them.

• 8 months later...

I get some of my books from the local liabary. My fahter-in-law is book mad and we have some similar interests so i get majority of my books from his personal stock. If there is a book or a subject i'm interested in, he sometimes buys it for the whole family to read. And failing that he works at the local university and has a membership card for the liabary there. So, apart from the ocassional fictional book and my cookbooks, i manage somehow to get the book i need.

I brought a few books from a charity shop the other day which I have never done before :)

I buy most of my books from charity shops, I only buy the ones in really good condition, they are such good value. I give most of my read books to charity shops too.

I cannot stand second hand books - you never know who's touched them or where they have been so I buy all of mine new. As you can guess my bookcase is running out of room quickly :lol:.

I generally buy them from Waterstones, Asda, Play.com or Fopp (they have some really good bargains. I got Notes On A Scandal for

I cannot stand second hand books - you never know who's touched them or where they have been so I buy all of mine new. As you can guess my bookcase is running out of room quickly :eek:.

I generally buy them from Waterstones, Asda, Play.com or Fopp (they have some really good bargains. I got Notes On A Scandal for

I buy most of my books from charity shops, I only buy the ones in really good condition...

If I buy more books in charity shops, they will have to be in perfect condition otherwise id hate touching something someone else previously had and not knowing where it had been and being kinda ruined (that probably sounds odd!) :)

Oh my god, there is another person like me!! Yay! Hehe. I have to buy my books new, I can't explain it, it's a little obsessive. I am exactly the same whether it's a book for pleasure of for Uni. Even though the Uni books are ridiculously expensive, I always buy them new from the bookshop.

Waterstones and play.com are my favourites :lol:

I know what you mean. My family mock me for my book OCD (and my OCD in general) but there's nothing like a brand new book that no-one else has touched. I'm so fussy that I even choose the book at the back of the shelf because people are bound to pick up the front one to look at etc :lol: so it's less likely the one at the back has been touched. Sounds odd I know but it's just the way I am :).

• 4 weeks later...

I always use amazon - its still cheaper to buy books including shipping than it is to buy them in the bookshops here. Often I get a like-new book for 1p on amazon, thats only about €4.10 including shipping, when I could pay up to €10 here for the book alone.

Hey you, does Dublin have a lot of second hand bookshops? I'm only in dublin city once a year or so unfortunately. I've never thought to go hunting for second hand bookshops up there.

Hmmm not many that I know of chapters has a whole floor of second hand books and there are a few others around ( I normally don