Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

A good place to get books is the Oxfam bookshop in York hospital, I used to get some amazing bargains in there! I also used to like the Little Apple bookshop in High Petergate :)

Oh brilliant - thanks for that! I live quite near the hospital too so I will check it out.

There's an Age Concern shop near me which is really good for books, I managed to get Lucky Man by Michael J Fox for 50p which was a really good read.

Can't wait for the summer, a nice walk along the river and sitting in the Museum Gardens in the sun with a cracking book!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never buy second hand books, unless they are out of print, as I like to support authors and make sure that they enough money to continue writing, not to mention supporting the stores - too many of them are going out of business due to competition from the Internet as it is. I then buy the majority of my books from Waterstones - every couple of months I go there and buy about 2 or 3 lots of 3 for 2's which keep me going for a while. I tend to use Amazon though for non fiction, as there is usually a far bigger range, plus you can get stuff from abroad which isn't necessarily published in the UK.

charity shops, car boots and library sell offs are my usual sources. I usually get some new books as presents at Christmas. I have just started buying one or two from Amazon because of the convenience.

I never buy second hand books, unless they are out of print, as I like to support authors and make sure that they enough money to continue writing, not to mention supporting the stores - too many of them are going out of business due to competition from the Internet as it is. .

Talisman I just read your post and it made me feel guilty....but I can't afford a brand new book habit :)

Edited by Janet
merged consecutive posts

Talisman I just read your post and it made me feel guilty....but I can't afford a brand new book habit :welcome:

You can always borrow from the library - it might not be much (5p per time) but at least authors get something that way. I understand that times are hard and not everyone has cash to spare, but if you value books and love literature, it is important to try and support it when you can ...

• 1 month later...

I used to use library a lot. I also bought my hardcover books from local bookshops. Now I have started to buy paperbacks because I can have more books a lot cheaper. I found an online shop where almost all the books are couple of euros cheaper so I use it a lot.

Do you buy them? If so where from?

Supermarket?

Bookshop?

Online?

Second hand?

Or do you use the library.

I get a lot of mine from the library lately.I have bought the odd few,as well as from the Op-Shops & garage sales as well.I also have a friend who like me is an avid reader and we post one another books too.

I haven't got a library near me, sadly. There used to be one just around the corner but they closed it down a few years ago.

I like to go in book shops (usually Waterstones or Hatchards) to see if they've got what I want. I have to confess that I'm one of those crazy people who likes to keep his books pristine, so I buy them new. If there's five copies on the shelf I'll look at all of them and take the one that's in the best condition. And I never crack the spines :smile2:

If I can't get it in the book shops then I'll order from Amazon.

I used to buy all my books in independent bookshops.

Then when online became so much cheaper I used lots of different sites (www.find-book.co.uk was a good place to start, not not all e-retailers are listed and it doesn't take into account the 3 for 2 deals.)

Then I went back into bookshops as they started doing deals again. Then I got an eBook reader so I downloaded loads of out of copyright books and now the price of retail eBooks has dropped I'm buying them again.

I mostly use the library, and buy books only once in a while. University books are expensive dammit, gotta save your money for them :smile2: But I don't mind. I find most of the books I'm looking for in the library (for free. ok,not completely free because of the fee you need to pay for the membership,but still - cheap), and if I can't find sth there and think I really need to read it, then I buy it.

I mostly use the library, and buy books only once in a while. University books are expensive dammit, gotta save your money for them :smile2: But I don't mind. I find most of the books I'm looking for in the library (for free. ok,not completely free because of the fee you need to pay for the membership,but still - cheap), and if I can't find sth there and think I really need to read it, then I buy it.

Yes Uni books were always a massive cost, I spent

^^It's the same everywhere with uni books :D

There's also a great policy in our library at uni,where you can only get books (get as in take them with you for more than a day) if there are ''enough copies available''.The required number,however,hasn't been defined xD So I go to the library and ask if they have the book I need,they say ''yes,but only for the reading room'', and I can see they have at least 5 copies left :smile2: Wohow.Thank God for public libraries.

• 2 weeks later...

Every couple of weeks I use the library, but I prefer to buy books because I want to put them on my shelves. :lol: I do buy online a lot, mostly at a German shop that sells remainders at very cheap prices. Since the books I buy there often look brand new I can't see why I should buy them at the regular price. But I also do use Amazon or the common bookshops in town.

Tomorrow begins my voluntary career as an Oxfam bookseller so I foresee me buying more books from there than I price and shelve :lol:!

That sounds great BJ. There is one newly open in my nearest high street and it's just lovely. Maybe in a year or two, I will maybe see if there are any vacancies.

I normally buy most of my books online, but I recently re-discovered the library. Also yesterday I discovered a book shop were I live that sells used books really cheap. I'm not picky and actually like old books, it feels like they have a history. The owners were wonderfully quirky but really passionate about books. Loved it!

So far, I've gotten most of my books from amazon. I sometimes buy the used ones.

I love to read the book reviews at amazon.

I'm thinking about using library now though.

I used to buy from Borders but since they closed down, I'm sticking with Waterstone's. I sometimes buy from Amazon, but not very often because I'm too impatient to wait for the books to arrive.

I never use the library because it's rubbish. :) Then again, I haven't been down there for a while (try six, maybe seven years) so I think it might be worth popping down for a look. Hmm, I might go down tomorrow, actually. :lol:

Usually online via Amazon and Play, but I do prefer to shop from Waterstones, i.e. a real-life bookshop! =o I tend to spend a long time in there when I get the chance. I also like to browse e-bay for old copies books. I like the way old books were made, with gilding on the covers and threaded spines. Usually I only get cheap ones that have a bit of battering, or - as I like to call it - "character", but sometimes I do look at old first editions of classics which usually cost hundreds or thousands of pounds and imagine having enough money to one day own a copy. I don't know what it is, I just seem to like the history of old books. And the smell. :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...