Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

Do you buy them? If so where from?

Supermarket?

Bookshop?

Online?

Second hand?

Or do you use the library.

I used to use the library a lot, not so much these days, though I feel I should really - since its a lot easier on the purse! I quite often buy from Amazon. I occasionally but rarely buy from the supermarket. I'm sure I used to have a good reason not to buy from supermarkets - but I can't remember what it was now :friends0: something about them only stocking best sellers means its harder to get new talent published maybe

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea thats true! The book im reading at the moment I picked up at a jumble sale for 50p :)

If i dont force myself to use the library from time to time I end up buying tons of books and never reading them :friends0:

I borrow from the library as it's free and so I tend to be more adventurous in my choices and also because I'm running short of bookcase space. If I read a book that stands out then I will buy my own copy.

:friends0:

I like going to the Bookstore!

Once there were seven bookstores in my neighborhood; now there are none. I have to drive farther to the big chains; only two for me now: Borders and Barnes & Noble. I miss my locally-owned stores and their owners with knowledge and the love of reading.

My Dad used to imagine opening a Used Book Store when he retired.

I had no idea when I was a kid just how poor my family was but there was a long time when our Big Treat was a trip to the used-book store and we could each get between five and ten books! Picking from the fare offered in the Kid's Section was like digging for treasure.

Now I know the other big advantage of used books is one can find old favorites from decades ago, something not offered in Borders unless very successful.

Still, I enjoy a trip to the Book Store. I'll browse Sci-Fi, Mystery, Westerns and even occasionally into Romance! I've many favorite novelists, I can spend hours in the Fiction section.

I'm not one to sit in the stuffed chairs with my fancy coffee - I like the walk. They put the popular releases right at the front door, so y'can't miss what's out and new.

Typically, I'll buy two books and one CD.

I get books everywhere I can! Second hand shops, bookshops, charity shops, supermarkets - everywhere! Particually if i can get a bargain!

Ditto...lol I've even picked up some good books at school Christmas and summer fairs.

I tend to get them wherever I see them. I've swapped a lot through Read it, Swap it and bought and sold many on Green Metropolis too. I occasionally buy from Amazon, but mostly only if I have some gift vouchers registered, as I hate the often long waiting periods. There are several "bargain" book shops in Aberdeen such as The Works and Book World that I often check out, as well as Fopp, as they often have very good deals. I've managed to get a few excellent cut-priced books from Virgin too, which is not a place I ever expected to get books! When spending birthday or Xmas money, however, I always loved to go to Ottakers. Now that it's been taken over by Waterstones, I don't like it half as much as I did.:friends0:

Well. I love bookshops and I should buy books from independent bookshops, as I do believe in having a creative and 'open' bookselling market. And I have bought a lot of books from my local indie in the past.

But then I became a student and money became an issue. And as I was a literature student, I had to be careful where I bought them because of cost. By the looks of things, I'm going to be a perpetual student (:friends0:) so I STILL have to be careful.

So, the dream scenrio is "I buy all my books from independent bookshops"

The reality is actually more like Amazon.co.uk and Amazon Marketplace, Play.com and PlayTrade, "3 for 2" offers at Wa*cough*ones and second hand shops (love second hand shops! Especially the fabulous Oxfam Books shops. Fantastic! But we don't have a local one :)).

I love GreenMetropolis too, but I haven't bought any yet: building my credits up from selling on there :)

I regularly use the local library and take out two or three books at a time. I bought four books as Christmas presents one from Waterstones, two from W H Smith and one from the independent book shop Webberleys all in the city centre. I love looking in book shops especially second hand book shops or the Oxfam ones but the last book I bought - 'The Interpretation of Murder' - I got in Tesco.

Ooh crikey, that's my local indie too!! :blush:

Which library do you use, Rosie?

'tis, a small world:) I mainly use Longton Library it's my closest but sometimes Hanley - I always look to see what they've got when I've been using the archives upstairs.

Which library do you use?

Hey, it's a small world!

Nici said,

I get books everywhere I can! Second hand shops, bookshops, charity shops, supermarkets - everywhere! Particually if i can get a bargain!

and Jules said,

Ditto...lol I've even picked up some good books at school Christmas and summer fairs

Ditto twice and I even got three nearly new, recent novels at the hospital the other week, for 10p each!!I am due there again in a couple of weeks so will take my ten pees;)

I used to use our local library growing up but where we live now, well the library is nice but there is not a lot of choice (they really need me working for them:lol:).

I buy books from second hand shops and new books from, Asda, Fopp and when I am in Glasgow, Waterstones and Borders.

well the library is nice but there is not a lot of choice

You can ask your library to purchase books, and requested books get subjected to a panel I think, who decide whether to buy them or not.

It does mean a little wait though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my trust Essex Library card which I would defend with my life!

I just walk over there when I'm on holiday back in Essex and select a few choice ones from the Classics section usually. I find that the time limit actually helps me read them instead of just letting them rot.

Are the library people volunteers? I've always wondered. I would give them a hand if I could when I get the chance to pay them back in a way.

Are the library people volunteers? I've always wondered. I would give them a hand if I could when I get the chance to pay them back in a way.

No, we get paid!:D Most libraries do have a 'friends of the library' set up which is made up of volunteers. We ask them to help when we have to do surveys (grabbing people and asking them to fill in the forms). We also have volunteers that collect and return books for the housebound.

I went to waterstones last week and bought 'The Blind Assassin', we have two book shops in the town centre here, and they didn't have any Margaret Atwood x