Live Music

Brian.

Had I known that Sigur Ros were organising a big music festival to go with their own Icelandic performances at the end of the year I might have saved a bit more annual leave. There are some great acts taking part whom I wouldn't have minded seeing. They are offering one day passes as well as four day passes (at Icelandic prices of course), but it isn't worth it for me, as the ones I want to see (Stars of the Lid being the main one) are performing on 30th December after I return home. I guess I have to remember why I am going - to see Sigur Ros. It would have been good to see a few more artists as well. but such is life. 

They were taking questions about their shows from their fans on Facebook the other night, so I have put in a request for my favourite, Ara Batur. They normally need a live orchestra for that one though, so I doubt if I will be that lucky!    

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, my dream came true on December 27th. I went to Iceland to see Sigur Ros at Harpa and it was every bit as brilliant as I hoped. They didn't play my favourite, but I didn't expect it anyway, as you need a live orchestra for that one. They did play a lot of other favourites though - and a few new ones as well. The acoustics were fantastic and the audience were great too - very loud and appreciative. They were a mixture of both Icelanders and foreigners like me. The woman behind me actually complained about them speaking to the audience in Icelandic - in their own country in their own language! 

It would have been great to have stayed for the whole four days of the festival, but it was expensive and I didn't have enough holiday left from work anyway. There were some great artists there though - again some Icelandic (Gus Gus, Hugar etc). and less known outside of there and some from other countries. The ones I would have most wanted to see were all on the last day - Stars of the Lid, Julianna Barwick (she is amazing) and Jarvis Cocker (he would have been brilliant too), but it was not to be. A lot of it was at least in part live streamed, so I had to content myself with that. Sigur Ros' last show on 30th December was live streamed in its entirety so I watched that which was great. If they ever do this sort of thing again (which they probably won't as it was a lot of organising), I am definitely though staying for the duration.        

• 1 month later...

I am super excited to have got 2 tickets for the Game of Thrones Experience with Ramin Djawani at Wembley on May 27th. I really didn't think we were going to get any, but looking tonight as one does, 2 suddenly became available for exactly the price we wanted, so I grabbed them quick. As its the day before the second May Bank Holiday I won't even have to take the day off work afterwards, as we will want to book a hotel of course so we don't have to rush home.  

On 1/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, Talisman said:

Well, my dream came true on December 27th. I went to Iceland to see Sigur Ros at Harpa and it was every bit as brilliant as I hoped. They didn't play my favourite, but I didn't expect it anyway, as you need a live orchestra for that one. They did play a lot of other favourites though - and a few new ones as well. The acoustics were fantastic and the audience were great too - very loud and appreciative. They were a mixture of both Icelanders and foreigners like me. The woman behind me actually complained about them speaking to the audience in Icelandic - in their own country in their own language! 

It would have been great to have stayed for the whole four days of the festival, but it was expensive and I didn't have enough holiday left from work anyway. There were some great artists there though - again some Icelandic (Gus Gus, Hugar etc). and less known outside of there and some from other countries. The ones I would have most wanted to see were all on the last day - Stars of the Lid, Julianna Barwick (she is amazing) and Jarvis Cocker (he would have been brilliant too), but it was not to be. A lot of it was at least in part live streamed, so I had to content myself with that. Sigur Ros' last show on 30th December was live streamed in its entirety so I watched that which was great. If they ever do this sort of thing again (which they probably won't as it was a lot of organising), I am definitely though staying for the duration.        

Sounds like a great experience overall! Was it your first time seeing them?

I saw my favourite band Epica 7 times last year. They've been touring ever since the release of their last album in September 2016, put out two EPs in between, so while they usually make an album every two years, the next one will be for 2019. I expected I wouldn't see them live very much if at all in 2018. Then they announced a UK tour, and I immediately got a ticket to the Dublin show - with a meet & greet. Then they announced a special show for their 1000th concert that same week on Saturday, so I got a ticket for that. I met a couple from Manchester while queuing for Epica, and they invited me to the Manchester show that same week and told me I could stay at their place. So got a ticket, and also a meet & greet. Then these people said they're seeing Epica at a festival in Austria in August, invited me along, naturally I said yes. Then last week they announced they're playing a festival 15 minutes from my house the week before that, of course I'm going.

So I get to see Epica 5 times in 2018 :D I'll see the band twice officially, and then at both festivals there'll probably be signing sessions. I'm really excited!

I also saw Lacuna Coil in London in January, for their 20th anniversary show. They were amazing. A week later, I saw Arch Enemy in Antwerp for the first time. They were absolutely amazing, and I've won a ticket for their Lille concert in June!

I have seen them twice before - so the Icelandic gig was the third time. The first time was at Wembley in 2013 and the second at Hammersmith last September.

The Icelandic show was for me though brilliant - I have always wanted to see them on home turf so it was always going to be special.

I hope they do this sort of thing again, although I won't hold my breath, as it took a lot of organising. 

I must admit I have never even heard of Epica, but I am hoping for a new Sigur Ros album this year - they played a few new songs in Iceland, so I know there's one on the way. :)   

• 3 months later...

I've just bought tickets to see The Posies! I loved their first album when I was a teenager, but never got to listen to their subsequent albums. I found out they are coming over to Finland on their 30th anniversary tour and now I've been listening to their other albums, too! I'm very excited! :D 

Coran and I went to see the Game of Thrones Experience with Ramin Djawadi at Wembley last weekend - and very good it was too with some great effects. We have also just bought tickets tor Rick Wakeman's Piano Tour in November at our local theatre here in Dorking. Coran is a big Rick Wakeman fan and saw him all the way back in the 70's so it will be a good night for her! It will be great to see him at such a small venue and so close to home. 

• 4 years later...

I’ve seen a few bands over the last two weekends. Last week I went to my local venue to see Blaze Bayley who was supported by Absolva. Last night I went to Alexandra Palace to see Parkway Drive. Parkway didn’t disappoint with a performance packed with energy and crowd engagement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 7:10 PM, Brian. said:

Last night I went to Alexandra Palace to see Parkway Drive.

I haven’t heard of Parkway Drive for years! Going to have to look them up again. Alexandra palace must have been a pretty impressive venue to see them too. 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:58 PM, Hayley said:

I haven’t heard of Parkway Drive for years! Going to have to look them up again. Alexandra palace must have been a pretty impressive venue to see them too. 

It was the first time I've been to Alexandra Palace and I was really impressed wih it as a venue. It would have been helpful if it was closer to the centre of London but we can't have everything.

I've just secured tickets to see Iron Maiden again next summer, this time in Amsterdam.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Brian. said:

It would have been helpful if it was closer to the centre of London but we can't have everything.

I’ve never actually been! Was it awkward to get to?

On 10/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Brian. said:

I've just secured tickets to see Iron Maiden again next summer, this time in Amsterdam.

!!! 

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

I’ve never actually been! Was it awkward to get to?

The transport links to it are pretty good to be fair, it’s just where my train arrives in London which isn’t ideal. I have to travel into London from the north and my train arrives at St Pancras. To get to Ally Pally I then have to get a Tube heading back the way I’ve just come for at least half an hour. It’s not so bad going to a gig but heading home afterwards turns into a bit of a chore.