Live Music

Brian.

I went on a cruise yesterday, it was a 25 years of Electric Dance Music -themed cruise so not really my scene, but I did have fun! I don't remember when I last danced this much... I got to see Darude, in the front row! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This doesn't really count, but I'm on Facebook and as I have liked Skunk Anansie, I just got a notification that they are doing a live stream session, and I'm now listening to their live concert! :D:wub:   Oh I wish they'd come to Finland, but no. 

Edited by frankie

The last show I went to was to see Har Mar Superstar in April of 2016.  This year so far I've got tickets to see The Dig in March and in April I'm going to see my most fave band in the whole world, Biffy Clyro!!  I cannot wait for that one.  Thank you again 10 times over to Weave, who first introduced me to them.  They are playing in a very small venue too, which will be amazing.  I might be near-deaf the next day, but I won't care! 

:b7ydance:  :b7ydance:

I was very excited when I heard a few days ago that Sigur Ros, my favourite Icelandic rock band were doing a European tour in the autumn, this time at smaller venues. You don't often get the chance to see something like this, so I was straight online the moment they went on sale and managed to get 2 tickets for September 21st. The best seats went within about 20 minutes, so we had to content ourselves with some of the cheaper ones, but that's okay, as in such a small venue you still get a good view. I have booked a half days holiday so we can get up there early and the following day off, so that we can stay up in town and not have to miss the end of the show. There is a Premier Inn nearby so I expect we will stay there.    

Edited by Talisman

Ticket availability really annoys me. I logged on as soon as pre-sale tickets were available for a gig last year and all the standing tickets were gone (it was a big band in a small venue). I opted for seating tickets even though I much prefer standing one. A week later loads of standing tickets were available on one of the 'official reseller' sites run by the same company who were selling the pre-sale tickets.

Anyway, I went to saw Black Sabbath last week on their last ever date in London. They have now completed their farewell tour and I am glad that I got to be part of it.

• 2 months later...

This year is going to be amazing... I'm going to see Rammstein for the first time ever, and then I'm going to see Guano Apes! :wub: I've seen them twice before at Ilosaarirock, but that was more than a decade ago, and I'd already buried the dream of seeing them once again.... I was absolutely thrilled when I found out they'd be joining Rammstein at the Rock Fest in Vantaa! :cool:    (Also found out that Anathema will be playing in Helsinki in November. Will definitely go see them too!)

I'm seeing Rammstein too! I'm seeing them in June at Graspop, a Belgian festival.

This year, I saw Epica in Brussels and two days later in London. I'm seeing them in Dordrecht (The Netherlands) in June and then five days later at Graspop. If there's an Epic Metal Fest in October, I'm seeing them there too. They're my favourite band as you can probably tell.

Also hope to see Tarja at Graspop!

On 15.4.2017 at 0:09 AM, Alexander the Great said:

I'm seeing Rammstein too! I'm seeing them in June at Graspop, a Belgian festival.

What day? I'll be seeing them in June, too. If you see them before me, don't wear them out, please!! :P:biggrin:

On 15.4.2017 at 0:09 AM, Alexander the Great said:

This year, I saw Epica in Brussels and two days later in London. I'm seeing them in Dordrecht (The Netherlands) in June and then five days later at Graspop. If there's an Epic Metal Fest in October, I'm seeing them there too. They're my favourite band as you can probably tell.

You are a hardcore fan to go and see them in other countries eventhough you are totally able to see them in the Netherlands, too :biggrin:  Respect!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the Epic Metal Fest for 2017 :yes:

2 hours ago, frankie said:

What day? I'll be seeing them in June, too. If you see them before me, don't wear them out, please!! :P:biggrin:

You are a hardcore fan to go and see them in other countries eventhough you are totally able to see them in the Netherlands, too :biggrin:  Respect!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the Epic Metal Fest for 2017 :yes:

I'm seeing Rammstein on June 16 :)

I'm from Belgium myself, but as long as they don't play too far north I'm perfectly willing to travel to The Netherlands (or the UK) to see them!

On 16.4.2017 at 2:37 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I'm seeing Rammstein on June 16 :)

Okay, that means I'm going to see them exactly one week before you will. I'll tell them to say hello to you :D 

On 16.4.2017 at 2:37 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I'm from Belgium myself, but as long as they don't play too far north I'm perfectly willing to travel to The Netherlands (or the UK) to see them!

Oh crap! Why did I think for a while that you're from the Netherlands! So sorry for my slip! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I had an email yesterday informing me that my favourite band in the whole world. Sigur Ros and finally after five years doing some shows in their native Iceland. The bad news is that they are at the very end of the year - 27th, 28th, 29th and 30th December when the air fares are sky high. I get a few days off over Christmas, so it may just about be possible to catch the show on 27th. The cheapest fare I have seen is about £150 return flying with Norwegian from Gatwick on Boxing Day and back again on 28th. It is a lot of money though for 2 days, even for Sigur Ros, plus the flight put is very early at 6.15am which will not do down well the day after Christmas at all. On the other hand, it will give me the day to explore the city I love and have a dip in the hot pools. The tickets go on sale this weekend, so I need to really think carefully about this one, as it I want one I will have to act very fast indeed.

I went to see Adam Ant in concert last week (the first night of his new tour in Newcastle!) and it was all kinds of awesome! All his biggest hits, a whole bunch of B-sides, and some older, more obscure stuff that really big fans (like myself!) would know but would be totally new to others coming later to their fandom (such as Whip In My Valise from Dirk Wears White Socks). Had an absolutely fabulous night - we were right in the centre of the row, just three rows from the stage - almost close enough to touch!!!

18268661_10158509122995386_1614833127203530525_n.jpg

18268624_10158509126630386_6684662950430831523_n.jpg

18274688_10158508360360386_2592086711836010170_n.jpg

18221553_10158509127330386_669534252025888825_n.jpg

18221867_10158509128005386_7858911252335372971_n.jpg

18274899_10158509128300386_3353211580067288337_n.jpg

On 10-5-2017 at 6:57 PM, Talisman said:

I had an email yesterday informing me that my favourite band in the whole world. Sigur Ros and finally after five years doing some shows in their native Iceland. The bad news is that they are at the very end of the year - 27th, 28th, 29th and 30th December when the air fares are sky high. I get a few days off over Christmas, so it may just about be possible to catch the show on 27th. The cheapest fare I have seen is about £150 return flying with Norwegian from Gatwick on Boxing Day and back again on 28th. It is a lot of money though for 2 days, even for Sigur Ros, plus the flight put is very early at 6.15am which will not do down well the day after Christmas at all. On the other hand, it will give me the day to explore the city I love and have a dip in the hot pools. The tickets go on sale this weekend, so I need to really think carefully about this one, as it I want one I will have to act very fast indeed.

I would do it if I were you. It's not very likely that you'll regret it since this is your favourite band. I've gone to London for three days to see my favourite band as well - just look at it as a mini city trip!

@Kell Those are some great photos, looks like you had a good time!

I'd said I wouldn't go to another Epica show this years since I'm already seeing them four times, and I only would if they played in Belgium. But then I got thinking - their last show this year so far is in Lille, which is just across the border, and closer than many cities in Belgium itself. So I went ahead and booked a ticket after all. I'm also going to meet the band again, and at least this time I know how that goes, so I'll be prepared better!

4 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

I would do it if I were you. It's not very likely that you'll regret it since this is your favourite band. I've gone to London for three days to see my favourite band as well - just look at it as a mini city trip!

@Kell

Unfortunately by the time I got home from work at 4pm all the presale tickets had already gone. From what I saw though the ticket prices are pretty hefty at not much less than £100 (Icelandic prices I guess). I might try again on Monday when they go on general sale, or perhaps look at the cost of the travel packages I have heard will also be available from Monday, but I suspect it will be the same story. I have another 2 trips to pay for after all - one to the Channel Islands next month and one to Croatia in September. We are going to see the band in London in September anyway, so it looks as if I will have to be content with that and wait for another time. I have waited 15 years since I first discovered their music, so I guess I can wait a bit longer ....  

I am going! In the end I thought, stuff it, I have been waiting years for this and may not get another chance. I have booked a flight then for Boxing Day, coming back on 28th and a bed in a nice little hostel that I know and went straight online at 1pm yesterday when the tickets went on general sale. I managed to bag one for an eye watering sum in the 10th row, which is just brilliant. They are not releasing an awful lot of information at the moment, but from what I gather it will actually be more of a music festival where artists from all over Iceland and indeed the world will be flown in to perform. The original post I saw did say that the band were taking up residence in the concert hall for 6 days! I suspect then that the high ticket price also includes a lot more than just their own concert, but I may be wrong. If Of Monsters of Men, my 2nd favourite Icelandic band are also there on 27th, the date on my ticket that will really be the icing on the cake.   

Edited by Talisman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13-6-2017 at 9:59 PM, frankie said:

I saw Rammstein and Guano Apes last weekend. Was in the front row to see the latter! :exc:   It was fantastic. :wub:

I bet you were really excited for Guano Apes, cool that you were front row!

I saw Epica in Dordrecht on June 11, where they performed the best live show I've ever seen them at. Then last Friday, I saw Epica, Tarja and Rammstein at Graspop Metal Meeting. I met the band members of Epica at the signing sessions, got to talk to them and give a gift. Later, the singer also retweeted something I tweeted while she normally never retweets pictures from fans of shows (usually beauty stuff, or things her friends post, or about music she likes, charities, Epica announcements...) So I had a great time and look forward to seeing them in Leuven, Antwerpen and Lille later this year!

I went to see another live opera last night - not live as in at the actual theatre (sadly I could never stretch to the Royal Opera House and even if I could I would never be able to get home afterwards), but rather a cinema screening. This time it was Otello and it was brilliant and very moving. This was the last one of the season, but there will be more starting in September - there are some great ones that I am already lining up for.      

• 3 months later...

I saw Epica in Leuven and Antwerpen this week. They were great and also played a new song they've never played live before. I was able to capture it entirely, so I'm happy about that. They were simply superb. Simone liked my tweets about the Antwerpen show and my expanded merch collection, then retweeted a video I'd put on Twitter as "Isaac, Mark & Simone of Epica presenting the new Olympic discipline: synchronised headbanging". She also put a picture of mine on her Instagram stories.

I also met some members of MaYan, which is Mark's (founder of Epica) side project. They were the second support on both shows. I met Mark two days in a row and the second day he remembered me. He's a super nice guy and I also got a picture with him. On Tuesday, I also met Marcela Bovio, who is a very chatty person and so extremely nice. Also have a picture with her. Then I also talked to Laura Macri, Mark's girlfriend, who also sings in MaYan. She was very nice as well, got a picture, and later on Facebook responded when I'd sent her a panorama picture I'd taken of MaYan. In Antwerpen, I also met Merel of MaYan. Also got a picture with her. I even had a great time with the merch lady - she also remembered me from the day before and she was just great to talk to really. 

Next shows I'm seeing are Eluveitie in November. Then Epica in December in Lille - the friends I made this week are attending that show as well so that'll be great. I'm seeing London Grammar later in December. In January, I'm seeing Arch Enemy. Then in April, I'm seeing Epica in Dublin. Those new friends I made are from Manchester and they said I was welcome to stay with them if I ever wanted to attend a Manchester show. It so happens that Epica plays there two days after the Dublin show, so I'll be flying from Dublin to Manchester to see them again!

I've seen Epica ten times now, I'll have seen them seven times in 2017 and after the Manchester show I'll have seen them thirteen times. Still, I never get bored of it. They get better and better with each and every show. The English friends I've made are seeing them three times this weekend in The Netherlands as well. Because it's too far away for me to go there and then back the same night but I can't really afford to book a hotel and do the travel between the cities, I had to miss them. My friends are sending me pictures and videos, though, so that's awesome. Can't wait to meet the band again in person later this year!

Always good to see another Epica fan around :cool:

I'm going to see Delain next week.  I'm not really going for Delain (think they're decidedly average) but for Cellar Darling, who are one of the support acts.  It's their first ever UK gig.  Kind of amusing that they're playing London the night before Eluveitie (as they're three ex-members of Eluveitie).

On 23-10-2017 at 11:59 AM, Karsa Orlong said:

Always good to see another Epica fan around :cool:

I'm going to see Delain next week.  I'm not really going for Delain (think they're decidedly average) but for Cellar Darling, who are one of the support acts.  It's their first ever UK gig.  Kind of amusing that they're playing London the night before Eluveitie (as they're three ex-members of Eluveitie).

Yeah, big Epica fan here :D

I liked Delain's first album, but never properly got into their work after that. When they played in Belgium last year, I was very undecided about whether I'd go or not, but ended up not going because it was on a Sunday and I didn't feel like taking half a day off on Monday to get enough sleep. Which goes to show how dedicated I am 😂 I don't dislike them - maybe if I really put in the effort I'd like them more. I did try, in light of the possible concert, but i don't know. They just don't stand out that much? Kind of weird, friends of mine are such massive fans that I've never felt able to admit they're not that special to me :P 

I have to say that I really liked Merel (their guitarist) when she was playing with MaYan.

I would love to see Cellar Darling, actually. I'm really bummed that I have to miss them and Lacuna Coil in December. The day they come to Belgium, I'm in London and the other dates are all just too far away. I'd booked the Eurostar and a week later they announced the show, I'd have tried to rebook if they hadn't :( Let us know how Cellar Darling was :) 

Edited by Alexander the Great