Live Music

Brian.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, Sari.  :)

I have seen some great groups in the past (Rush, Asia, Motorhead, Black Sabbath (with Ronnie, not Ozzy), Thin Lizzy, Status Quo (a couple of times), Whitesnake, Jimmy Nail (he was surprisingly good!), Depeche Mode, Phil Collins, Marillion (after Fish left, sadly - they were dreadful!)...) but I haven't been to a concert with a big group for a long time.

Wow, you've managed to go and see a lot of the big names! :smile2: 

Went to see Threshold at Islington Academy the other night and they were bloody brilliant!  :cool:  We were right at the front and the atmosphere was great.  Damian the singer kept jumping into the crowd, which was funny :D  Haven't enjoyed a gig that much for a long time :D

They had two support bands: The Silent Wedding and Overtures.  Both of them were decent, although Overtures amused me because their singer kept demanding that the crowd boo them :lol:  and their (new) bass player looked like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.  I kept hoping he'd walk over to the drummer and say 'You're in my spot' :giggle2:

I'm really happy you enjoyed seeing Threshold! :) I assume Damian was well met with the audience because you speak of no minced meat? 

Sheldon :D Bazinga!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume Damian was well met with the audience because you speak of no minced meat? 

He seems like a really decent bloke.  When we were queuing outside he walked past and was saying hello to everyone then, before Threshold came on stage, he came out and jumped over the barrier into the audience and was shaking hands with people and having a chat, then he did the same again at the end.  He also had his dad and his son up on the balcony, who he pointed out - much to the son's embarrassment :giggle2:   The band just seemed genuinely excited and happy to be back in their hometown :smile:   Damian's a big guy, though, so I'm glad he didn't land on top of me :hide:  :giggle2:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Epica at The Forum last night.  They were awesome! :cool:

When I bought the tickets there was no mention of this, but Dragonforce were added as co-headliners.  I'd seen them before, but it was Epica I wanted to see last night, and I was a bit annoyed that it meant Epica would be doing a shorter set.  As it went, Dragonforce were bloody brilliant.  Silly name, very silly music, but they're just so irrepressible it's hard not to like them.  They're just so much fun  :D

Caught Machine Head at the Roundhouse in Camden last night. A really good show with a very varied setlist despite having just released a new album. They also did a Pantera jam session in memory of Dimebag who was murdered 10 years ago today. Darkness Within were the support act and they impressed as well. They really hit the ground running and got the audience nicely warmed up for the main act.

Went to see Epica at The Forum last night.  They were awesome! :cool:

When I bought the tickets there was no mention of this, but Dragonforce were added as co-headliners.  I'd seen them before, but it was Epica I wanted to see last night, and I was a bit annoyed that it meant Epica would be doing a shorter set.  As it went, Dragonforce were bloody brilliant.  Silly name, very silly music, but they're just so irrepressible it's hard not to like them.  They're just so much fun  :D

I like both bands, so I'm glad you had a good time!

A couple of vids someone posted from Saturday.  We were downstairs.  The first vid's worth it just for the bit about 5:30 in where they stand in a square and play their own instruments with one hand and one of the other's instruments with their other hand.  Show offs! :giggle2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7URINv4yt2w

• 3 months later...

Bloody hell, I've missed out on Steven Wilson tickets again :rolleyes:  Two nights at the Royal Albert Hall and only restricted view seats left :doh:

What crappy luck :(

The coolest thing ever just happened! I follow Anathema on FB, and they'd posted The Resonance tour. I rarely comment on famous people's feeds, I only usually *like* them if there's cause for it, but I couldn't help but post that "Finland wants you desperately!". You see, Finland is not, at least at the moment, on their tour list. 

Well, I just got a notice saying that Darren White (the original vocalist) had responded to my comment. He said that "And I want Finland. I want to do it for Sami Hyypia, Jari Litmanen, God Forsaken and all great people of Finland"

:thud: Darren White wants Finland!! :wub:  :kiss:

What crappy luck :(

I think it's my own fault for not keeping an eye on his website and forums.  Mind you, forum people were saying it was next to impossible to get tickets even being on the site at 9am the day they went on sale.  Getting tickets for gigs seems to be becoming more and more difficult thanks to people who don't want them snapping them up and then trying to sell them through re-seller sites for astronomical prices :irked: 

The coolest thing ever just happened! I follow Anathema on FB, and they'd posted The Resonance tour. I rarely comment on famous people's feeds, I only usually *like* them if there's cause for it, but I couldn't help but post that "Finland wants you desperately!". You see, Finland is not, at least at the moment, on their tour list. 

Well, I just got a notice saying that Darren White (the original vocalist) had responded to my comment. He said that "And I want Finland. I want to do it for Sami Hyypia, Jari Litmanen, God Forsaken and all great people of Finland"

If he'd said Kimmu Timonen or Valtteri Filppula I would've understood :giggle2:

I guess I need to take the plunge and either sign up to various bands/artists mailing lists, or - God forbid - join FB :rolleyes:

I think it's my own fault for not keeping an eye on his website and forums.  Mind you, forum people were saying it was next to impossible to get tickets even being on the site at 9am the day they went on sale.  Getting tickets for gigs seems to be becoming more and more difficult thanks to people who don't want them snapping them up and then trying to sell them through re-seller sites for astronomical prices :irked:

Yep. The humanity :thud: I think living in Finland is a double-edged sword: you don't get more than that one concert in one city (maybe two if you're lucky) by the same band and you don't get all the fabulous bands, like you do in the UK. But when they come... It's easier to score tickets than in the UK. Although if it's someone really big, then there are the 15 minutes when you have to have your internet connection working its magic and you gotta hit the refresh like your soul depended on it.

If he'd said Kimmu Timonen or Valtteri Filppula I would've understood :giggle2:

:D Nah, Mika Häkkinen and Ville Laihiala :P:giggle2:

The biggest problem when it comes to getting tickets for anything that may be even slightly popular is the ticket touts. The ticketing companies say they are taking steps to stop it but they clearly don't care in the slightest. For example, Stub Hub one of the biggest online secondary ticket agencies is owned by eBay and minute after tickets sell out they appear on Stub Hub at vastly inflated prices. Ticketmaster and the like love to add on 'processing fees' which are ridiculous and then charge you more if you want to print out your ticket. Bands that have tried to avoid using big companies like Ticketmaster soon discover that a lot of venues both in the UK and USA have exclusive agreements with Ticketmaster & Live Nation. As a result if you want to put a show on at anywhere with a capacity of more than 3k-4k you have to use them. As usual, the real fans end up getting screwed.

One would expect him to say Jean Sibelius,  given music is his life. My first thought of Finland is Kimi Räikkonen, I was a fan of F1 when younger and his world championship victory was amazing.

You could ask him for free tickets, a discount on them, or just to save one for you to pay in full but don't have to bother with the ticket rush.

Edit: Saw his wikipedia page and he's from Liverpool; Hyypia and Litmanen are two of the best european football players in recent years and both played for Liverpool. Enigma solved.

Edited by Sousa

Sami Hyypia is universally loved by Liverpool fans, he is one of the best players we've ever had and he's a really nice guy as well. Jari Litmanen didn't have as good a time at Liverpool as Sami but that was mainly down to the players he had around him rather than anything he did wrong.

You could ask him for free tickets, a discount on them, or just to save one for you to pay in full but don't have to bother with the ticket rush.

Why would I ask him that? That's a bit selfish in my opinion. I don't mind paying for my own ticket, as I want to support the band and getting a ticket over here in Finland is easy enough.

Sami Hyypia is universally loved by Liverpool fans, he is one of the best players we've ever had and he's a really nice guy as well. Jari Litmanen didn't have as good a time at Liverpool as Sami but that was mainly down to the players he had around him rather than anything he did wrong.

Awww, that's a very nice thing to say, thanks Brian :) It warms my Finnish heart!

• 3 months later...

Last night I achieved an ambition that I've held for 39 years and saw AC/DC at Wembley Stadium!

Oh. My. Word.  They were everything I hoped for and more!  Definitely worth the wait.  I know the line-up has changed a lot over the years, and this time they were missing Phil Rudd and the wonderful Malcolm Young, but wow, what a show.  :wub:

Crikey, I didn't even know they were playing :o  Good to hear you had a great time, Janet, especially after waiting so long for the chance :cool:   I saw them there a few years ago and they were great!  Did they finish with Whole Lotta Rosie, Let There Be Rock, Highway to Hell and For Those About to Rock?  :D

My countdown is well and truly on, now.  Only ten days till Rush in Calgary . . .  :exc:

They did!  :D  Oh my goodness, I can't get over how good they were.  I was slightly concerned they might not live up to expectation, but if anything they exceeded it.  Corny as it sounds, last night's gig will stay with me forever.  :wub:

Have a great time at Rush.  :)  (I know you will).

They did!  :D  Oh my goodness, I can't get over how good they were.  I was slightly concerned they might not live up to expectation, but if anything they exceeded it.  Corny as it sounds, last night's gig will stay with me forever.  :wub:

Hee, knew they'd finish with those - it's tradition!  :D   Did you manage to get anywhere near the stage, or were you at the side?  :smile: 

Have a great time at Rush.  :)  (I know you will).

I really, really hope so, cos it's looking increasingly likely that these two shows will be the final time I get to see them - the show in LA on 1st August looks like being their last   :(  So I'll never make it to seeing them 30 times, I'll be stuck on 28 forever  :giggle2:

We didn't stand on the pitch because I had a horrible experience at a Status Quo concert where I was right at the front of the stage and I had a panic attack because of all the pushing and I had to be lifted over the barrier.  :blush:  Since then I haven't liked to stand at gigs.   We had fantastic seats though - we were on the second tier of seating in the front row very close to the stage, so we had nobody in front of us. 

I didn't realise Rush were going to stop touring.  Shame you'll have *only* seen them 28 times!  :giggle2:  A friend of ours has seen Quo over 120 times.  They wave to him from the stage now!  :D

My Hubby joined a band a couple of months ago (as lead vocalist) and they have their first gig this coming Saturday night - it's a wedding evening do. So excited for him, and super excited because I've been invited along too, so I can see his first gig. They were already an established band before he joined, but they had lost their vocalist and needed someone who could step in and be gig-ready quickly - and he fit the bill. :)

We didn't stand on the pitch because I had a horrible experience at a Status Quo concert where I was right at the front of the stage and I had a panic attack because of all the pushing and I had to be lifted over the barrier.  :blush:  Since then I haven't liked to stand at gigs.   We had fantastic seats though - we were on the second tier of seating in the front row very close to the stage, so we had nobody in front of us.

That's what I tend to do these days, too, cos I don't like being squashed, and I'm short.  I make an exception for Rush, but that's all.  When I saw them in Amsterdam a couple of years ago I was on the barrier in front of Alex and when Geddy came and stood in front of us the person behind me nearly knocked my head off :lol:

Oh, tell a lie, I was at the front for Threshold, too, but that was a small gig and generally an older audience, so it was fine :smile:

Did you go and see Quo with the original line-up last year?  That was fun! :D 

I didn't realise Rush were going to stop touring.  Shame you'll have *only* seen them 28 times!  :giggle2:  A friend of ours has seen Quo over 120 times.  They wave to him from the stage now!  :D

120 times??  :lol:  Mind you, they tour every year at least twice, don't they :giggle2:

Yeah, it looks like Rush are calling it a day.  They're getting on a bit now - Neil suffers with tendonitis and Alex has arthritis in his fingers (not good for a guitarist!), so playing a three hour show every other night starts to be a bit impractical :shrug:

My Hubby joined a band a couple of months ago (as lead vocalist) and they have their first gig this coming Saturday night - it's a wedding evening do. So excited for him, and super excited because I've been invited along too, so I can see his first gig. They were already an established band before he joined, but they had lost their vocalist and needed someone who could step in and be gig-ready quickly - and he fit the bill. :)

That is exciting :)!

Last night I achieved an ambition that I've held for 39 years and saw AC/DC at Wembley Stadium!

Oh. My. Word.  They were everything I hoped for and more!  Definitely worth the wait.  I know the line-up has changed a lot over the years, and this time they were missing Phil Rudd and the wonderful Malcolm Young, but wow, what a show.  :wub:

Oh wow, to finally see a band you've been wanting to see for so many years!! :smile2: I have no idea how emotional it must've been, as well as cool and awesome and all thrilling things :smile2: