Live Music

Brian.

^ She does, a bit :D I was a fan wayyyy back when she did that one album which she became known for... I'm like a bird, I only fly away, that song/album. It was quite odd to then see her doing Maneater stuff years after. Quite a change. (I loooove her song Say It Right! :wub:)

Yes Whoa Nelly! .. that's my fave album of hers and I played it to death (have two copies actually .. one very sacred one that she signed :blush2:) .. every song was a gem. I liked most of the hits off of Loose but it wasn't the same as the old days :no:  :D

I don't mind that early Nelly song either. Poppyshake, you must have looked so cute in your plaits!

Not exactly :giggle:

I'd love to see Regina Spektor too.

Then you must absolutely come next time she plays London :D

I just bought a ticket to see Franz Ferdinand in Sydney next month. I'm so excited! They haven't been out here for many years, and I've always regretted not going to see them when they were last here, but I wasn't much of a concert-goer then and was too scared to go by myself. Now I'm a 'seasoned' concert-goer and will have no probs going by myself. :D

You lucky lucky girl .. enjoy! :friends0: 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love Franz Ferdinand, Kylie!  Lucky girl :D

Last year I saw Muse, Black Keys, Young the Giant, AWOLNation, The Dig and Two Door Cinema Club.  This year, unfortunately, my show-going has been less.  Only because there haven't been a ton of bands I want to see coming through town.  I'm sad I missed the Killers in August but tickets sold out so fast plus I hate the venue they played in.

In the early spring this year I saw Mika, and tomorrow night I'm seeing Ra Ra Riot.  Then next week I'm seeing one of my favorite bands, The Dig.  Yahoo!!  They are opening for Leagues, with whom I'm not very familiar but it'll be a week night so I probably won't stay to watch them.

It's funny how that seems to have an ebb and flow to it. Last year and the year before I saw loads of bands but it seems to me as if very few of the bands I like have been touring England this year.

Just bagged tickets to see Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert Hall the week after next :exc: :exc: :D

I imagine that will be a pretty special gig, he has worked with so many other musicians it a surprise he has any time to himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well the Steven Wilson gig is on Sunday and I haven't received the tickets yet.  I got an email saying they were sent out on Wednesday, so I phoned them up today and they've arranged for replacements to be collected from the box office.  No doubt the originals will arrive tomorrow, but I didn't fancy the stress and hassle of trying to sort it all out at the last minute, I was worrying too much about them as it was :rolleyes:

The tickets didn't arrive, so I'm glad I sorted out replacements.  It was all hassle free, no queue, walked into the Albert Hall, straight to the box office desk, got the tickets in about 10 seconds.  Then had to hang around for an hour before the gig because we got there early anticipating a queue :doh:  :lol:

All worth it, though.  It was possibly the best 'gig-that-wasn't-Rush' that I've ever been to.  Just stunning  :D

• 1 month later...

Black Sabbath at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam was a great experience. The venue itself is just about the right size, big enough to build a great atmosphere but not so big that it feels anonymous. I was very impressed with the token system in use for the bars, the plentiful and cheap lockers and also the toilets. It all seemed far more civilized than the gig experience back home. Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats were the support act and were far better than I expected, I intend to buy their albums soon. Black Sabbath were fantastic, they were tight musically and the setlist was a good span of stuff off the new album and the older classics. Ozzy sounded better than he has in while which surprised me because he isn't the best singer in the world. The touring drummer is a hoot and extremely impressive, his drum solo was one of the best I've ever seen.

All in all I had a fantastic time and I will look to see more bands at the Ziggo Dome :alc:

We went to see Sigur Ros at Wembley about 2 weeks ago, and they were fantastic. I have been a fan of theirs for well over a decade, having discovered their music in a Reykjavik record store and have been hooked pretty much ever since, having also converted Coran. It was definitely one of the best shows I have been to - by the end of the evening it felt like every single cell in my body was vibrating and there were people there with tears streaming down their faces.

• 1 month later...

Just found out that Korn is coming to Finland this May, wohoo! :) I didn't like their latest album (did love that one single, but the rest... :rolleyes:) but I know they'll be playing a lot of the good old stuff. I'm probably going to get me some tickets!

I've only been to an impressive concert about once in my life, because with my disability I don't do well at all with crowds or loud music. Our concert was by Within Temptation (one of my favourite bands) and we had chairs to sit on (a must really, I couldn't do it with crowds). The concert was in the next town over, so quite close by. I enjoyed it and was glad we went there. The music wasn't overly loud and because of the chairs I could sit for most of the time which was good.

So unfair. Pearl Jam is touring in Europe this summer, and they'll be playing in Stockholm, but not in Finland.

We get Justin Bieber to come here, and yet Eddie Vedder & co. say no to Helsinki :motz::wibbly::cry2:

Never seen them myself. Previously, they have never played outside London when they come to England (to be best of my knowledge) and it was always too awkward to get there. So they announce they are doing Milton Keynes this year - a much better option for me. It's on my wedding anniversary. :o

No way am I going to swing that!

Never seen them myself. Previously, they have never played outside London when they come to England (to be best of my knowledge) and it was always too awkward to get there. So they announce they are doing Milton Keynes this year - a much better option for me. It's on my wedding anniversary. :o

No way am I going to swing that!

Yep I noticed the Milton Keynes option and thought it a bit odd, I've never even heard of such a place. So they play at some Milton Keynes place, and not in Helsinki?!? :D:rolleyes:

Are you sure your wife wouldn't want to spend the anniversary by listening to a great band rock? :(

Yep I noticed the Milton Keynes option and thought it a bit odd, I've never even heard of such a place. So they play at some Milton Keynes place, and not in Helsinki?!? :D:rolleyes:

Are you sure your wife wouldn't want to spend the anniversary by listening to a great band rock? :(

Our musical tastes are somewhat different, so probably not!

You don't know MIlton Keynes? You're not missing much! 

Although to be fair, the Milton Keynes Bowl is a good Venue - I saw Metallica play there with Megadeth as support in about 1992 and it was great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Anathema last Friday, the gig was amazing :wub:

Here's video of the concert. Not mine. 

And the setlist: 

1. The Lost Song, Part 1

2. The Lost Song, Part 2

3. Untouchable, Part 1

4. Untouchable, Part 2 

5. Thin Air
6. Ariel
7. The Lost Song, Part 3
8. Anathema
9. The Beginning and the End
10. Universal
11. Closer
12. A Natural Disaster
13. Distant Satellites

Encore
1. Parisienne Moonlight
2. Judgement
3. One Last Goodbye
4. A Dying Wish
5. Fragile Dreams

They said they'll be touring next year and I'm going!!!! :exc:

Edit: The girl who downloaded the video on youtube was standing right behind me when we were outside in line, waiting for the doors to be opened, and during the gig she was in the front row, two people from me to the right. I was in the front row, right next to the guy who was standing right in front of Vincent. 

Edited by frankie

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, Sari.  :)

I have seen some great groups in the past (Rush, Asia, Motorhead, Black Sabbath (with Ronnie, not Ozzy), Thin Lizzy, Status Quo (a couple of times), Whitesnake, Jimmy Nail (he was surprisingly good!), Depeche Mode, Phil Collins, Marillion (after Fish left, sadly - they were dreadful!)...) but I haven't been to a concert with a big group for a long time.

I tried to get AC/DC tickets last time they toured, but was unsuccessful - I was gutted, I'd love to see them live.   Peter and I also love Pink Floyd.  Sadly we've never seen them, but we have seen a tribute band called The Australian Pink Floyd Show (TAPFS) many, many times and they're the next best thing.  We have tickets to see them in Bristol in the spring.  I also love Genesis and have seen a good tribute band for them, but they only seem to tour in the East of the country these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Threshold at Islington Academy the other night and they were bloody brilliant!  :cool:  We were right at the front and the atmosphere was great.  Damian the singer kept jumping into the crowd, which was funny :D  Haven't enjoyed a gig that much for a long time :D

They had two support bands: The Silent Wedding and Overtures.  Both of them were decent, although Overtures amused me because their singer kept demanding that the crowd boo them :lol:  and their (new) bass player looked like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.  I kept hoping he'd walk over to the drummer and say 'You're in my spot' :giggle2: