Live Music

Brian.

Anyone care to share their live music experiences, I tend of go to quite a few gigs throughout the year. This includes the Sonisphere festival that I try to get to each year (its only be going a few years). Recently I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers at the O2 and it was a great show. I'm not a huge fan of their music but they certainly live upto the reputation of being a great live act. I'm going to see Machine Head at Wembley Arena on Saturday night and I expect it will be good mayhem. I've seen them live twice before and they were superb both times.

I've had a quick scan and can't see another live music topic, if there is one, I apologise.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't been to a gig for ages! I do miss them, I just don't really have the money to go to many of them!

My first gig was Aiden, Taking Back Sunday and Lostprophets at the NEC so I think that will always be my favourite one!

Hope you enjoy Machine Head, I bet they're epic live!

Machine head were, as you say, Epic. They really know how to put on a great show and despite playing for 2 hours the set seemed to really fly by. The support acts, well 1 in specific weren't really to my liking but that happens from time to time.

It was so many many moons and therefore it's hardly worth mentioning mine, but I have seen live;

Aswad (British Reggae band 0f the 80's)

David Bowie (supported by The Beat)

Toyah Wilcox

Kirsty McColl (supported by Australian James Reyne)

I used to go to a lot of live concerts when I was younger, but Coran and I have such different tastes, and we live that much further form London now that we only really go for very special occasions - plus the fact that it is just so expensive. The last concert then that I went to was Stevie Wonder at the 02 back in 2009. This was the fourth time I have seen him, and along with the other shows, it was brilliant. I am such a huge Stevie fan that I can recognise most of his songs from the first note, so was one of the embarrassing ones who started singing along from the first key. I sang so much and so loudly that by the end of the night I was hoarse! It was for me a brilliant night, until that it we got out of the arena to the tube station, where Coran had what he felt at the time was a heart attack - luckily it turned out to be a panic attack. We had to phone his sister though to come and take us home and ended up spending the night in Mayday Hospital in Croydon - not a nice place at the best of times.

Edited by Talisman

I haven't been to as many gigs this year as I would usually do. I saw Riverside, Opeth, Pure Reason Revolution, Rush (3 times), and am going to see The Pineapple Thief next week. Wanted to see Amplifier this week but can't do it.

• 11 months later...

Gojira @ Koko tonight. The first gig I have been to this year which is something that I didn't think I would say. Sonisphere was cancelled and there just hasn't been any bands playing that I really wanted to see. December brings Band of Skulls @ Brixton Academy and then Deftones in Feb (I think). Going to Berlin in June to see Iron Maiden again, I just know that it will be a superb gig in one of my favourite cities.

I've been to a few this year. The most recent was Motorhead and Anthrax in Wolverhampton.

Went to London recently and got to be at a live recording of The Defiled's album which was really good.

I'm also going to see Rob Zombie/Maralyn Manson at the NEC at the end of the month and I've never seen either of them so I'm really looking forward to it!!!

Being at a live recording of The Defiled's album must have been pretty great. I am not an uber metalhead but I like what they have released so far and I only hear great things about them live. I really love 'Final Sleep'.

Gojira were superb last night, they really suited the venue as well.

Edited by Brian.

I went to see Nerve End a few weeks ago. Their best gig so far, in my opinion. If anyone's interested, it's a rather new Finnish prog metal band from Joensuu (where I live). If you want to give them a listen, you can visit their website and download their album(s) for free, it's totally legal and they actually want to pass on the word and their music and to share it with friends. Great guys :)

Personally I think they are the finest new (metal) band I've discovered this year (or in a while, actually).

I can't rememeber the last time I saw a band live, it's been that long. But in the past I've seen some awesome gigs.

Iron Maiden - Donnington 1988

ACDC - saw them about 5 times over the years (sadly never with Bon Scott), amazing every time.

The Black Crowes - Wolverhamptin Civic (can't recall when though!)

KIngs X - several times at the Hummingbird in Brum, and Rock City, Nottingham. Fantastic live band.

Faith No More - also at the Hummingbird. Came out sporting a black eye and covered in other bruises. It was worth it!

Metallica used to put on a good show too - till they sold out!

• 4 weeks later...

Band of Skulls at Brixton Academy last night were immense. It goes down as one of the best liver performances I have seen and it's great to see a band really grow from a small act into a confident well polished band. If they keep up the quality of their song writing I can only see them going from strength to strength.

Gojira were superb last night, they really suited the venue as well.

I will be seeing these in March with Ghost and The Defiled. I've not really listened to them before so will have to have a look on You Tube before the gig to see what I think.

The Manson/Zombie gig was good - Zombie was AMAZING...moving machines and dancing giant puppets meant the stage show was great and the music was bang on as well!!

I have a few gigs lined up for next year that I'm really excited about. I'll be singing Ringo and his All Starr Band on my birthday in February (OMG - an actual Beatle!!) At the beginning of March I'll be seeing one of my favourite Australian bands, The Cat Empire. At the end of March, I'll be going to Bluesfest for 3 days, where I plan to see many artists, including Paul Simon, Wilco, Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), The Cat Empire (again!), Status Quo, Iggy and the Stooges, Blind Boys of Alabama, Beasts of Bourbon and Xavier Rudd. :D

I will be seeing these in March with Ghost and The Defiled. I've not really listened to them before so will have to have a look on You Tube before the gig to see what I think.

The Manson/Zombie gig was good - Zombie was AMAZING...moving machines and dancing giant puppets meant the stage show was great and the music was bang on as well!!

I've only heard good things about the latest Manson/Zombie tour and I know some people were a bit unsure about how well Manson would perform prior to seeing him. I've only heard good things about Ghost but I'm yet to really check them out. As for The Defiled, I think they are a great band and I can see them going from strength to strength. A would say that a good place to start with Gojira is to check out the tracks on the latest album, L'Enfant Sauvage.

I saw Florence + The Machine last Sunday, it was brilliant! I love her, and I've been wanting to see her live for ages. The concert was great :D

I saw Florence + The Machine when they were touring her first album and it was one of the best gigs I have been to. She sounds even better live than on the CD and that is something that performers rarely manage to achieve.

I have a few gigs lined up for next year that I'm really excited about. I'll be singing Ringo and his All Starr Band on my birthday in February (OMG - an actual Beatle!!) At the beginning of March I'll be seeing one of my favourite Australian bands, The Cat Empire. At the end of March, I'll be going to Bluesfest for 3 days, where I plan to see many artists, including Paul Simon, Wilco, Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), The Cat Empire (again!), Status Quo, Iggy and the Stooges, Blind Boys of Alabama, Beasts of Bourbon and Xavier Rudd. :D

I've been getting into Blue for a while now and Bluesfest sound like a great festival.

I saw Florence + The Machine when they were touring her first album and it was one of the best gigs I have been to. She sounds even better live than on the CD and that is something that performers rarely manage to achieve.

I know, she has an amazing voice! I love the first album, my favourite song is from it (thankfully I got to hear it Sunday too).

I'd also like to say I'm jealous of the people who have seen Manson live...the one time I got the chance a few years ago, before moving to the UK, no one would go with me, and I was a bit scared to go by myself :lol: Never again though, next time I'm going alone if I have to!

We went to see Epica at the Electric Ballroom in Camden last night - they were brilliant. It was only the second time I've seen them - I somehow managed to miss the last tour - so it was great to catch up with them this time around, and to hear Simone's voice live again, and they were very funny, too (they kept taking the mick out of the Mayan apocalypse :lol: ). Plus they played a really good selection of tracks from all their albums, including most of my favourites :D

• 1 month later...

This band's playing live tomorrow at a local bar, I'm really tempted to go, but it's a week night and I don't think I could get anyone to go with me. I discovered the band by accident last year when I heard them play live at another bar, they were great.

That would be fun!

In 2012 I managed to see Young the Giant, AWOLNation, The Black Keys and Two Door Cinema Club.  All at bars and clubs except for BK, of course.  I also saw one of my fave unknown bands, The Dig.  I think that was my 5th time seeing them, since they tour a lot and the places they play are never expensive to get into.

This year I've only got two shows lined up so far, both in March.  Ra-Ra Riot and Muse, which is very exciting!

I saw Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band in concert on Wednesday night. He was awesome. :)

In a couple of weeks I'm going to see The Cat Empire perform their new album, which hasn't been released yet. Can't wait!

Gigs I've been to over the years:

Westlife

Bon Jovi

Velvet Revolver

Goo Goo Dolls x2

Jack L x2

Chris De Burgh

Tim Minchin

Last week I also saw Hank Green at the RDS, and in May I'll be seeing my music hero, Andrew McMahon.

I love gigs. :)