Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 16

Chrissy

Just bought The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman in the Kindle Daily Deal

Me too! I've started it all ready and it's looking good. :D

Ditto, despite owning two tree copies already. This Daily Deal is wonderful, I make sure I check every day. Clever old Amazon. :giggle2:

It must be a good read then :wink: When I get home from work the first thing I do is check the daily deal, there's been some good books on offer hasn't there?

This will be my first Neil Gaiman so I hope I enjoy it, but there were lots of good things said about it on here, so I thought I'd give it a go!

My first Neil Gaiman as well and I've got a feeling it won't be the last. :)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Graveyard Book' is a curious little read; a little surreal, a little macabre. Once you're doen, you'll have to take a look in June's Reading Circle thread.

I do like Neil Gaiman's writing and hope to read all his works over time, having read 'American Gods' and the utterly fab 'Neverwhere'. All the Neil Gaiman books waiting to be read by me ~ all is well in my literary world! :D

Finished The Divide by Nicholas Evans - loved it, very moving read. I was going to start The Windup Girl, but I think I will go with A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan instead. I know nothing about it, except that it was cheap on Amazon's Daily Deals. :boogie:

Found some great deals in an indie book store on our Gulf Coast today.....

Painting Katrina by Phil Sandusky Tons of fantastic paintings by Sandusky, a local artist, of the devastation in New Orleans from the storm. He is simply amazing.

The Exception by Christian Jungersen

Corner's Journal, Stalking Death in Louisiana by Louis Cataldie, M.D.

Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy

Delta of Venus by Anais Nin

The Leopard by Guiseppe di Lampedusa This is a copy that includes some previously deleted passages.

Almost Gone by Carol Taylor Lander A Gulf Coast girl's unforgettable memories of her life, and other natural disasters.

Edited by pontalba

Will be starting a new book today, but not sure what one yet. I have my library copy of The Bloody Chamber and other stories by Angela Carter for the January reading circle, so I might make a start on that, but I also have the two books for my local library reading group meeting later this week which I really ought to try, but unfortunately, neither of them appeal in the slightest. Might have to try one of those so at least I can add something to the discussion when we meet up! :giggle2:

Pontalba

Thanks for the rating on Sisters Brothers. Guess I'll order it here soon. Maybe for my kindle .

Also I have one of the books you bought -- The Coroner's Journal ,but haven't read it yet .

Edited by julie

Found some great deals in an indie book store on our Gulf Coast today.....

[The Leopard by Guiseppe di Lampedusa This is a copy that includes some previously deleted passages.

That's a book I've meant to read for a long time but never got round to. I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

I have just started reading Jude The Obscure by Thomas Hardy.

I'm a big fan of Hardy but Jude the Obscure I couldn't get into, however I picked a copy up in the charity shop as I'm determined to give it another go. Looking forward to reading your comments on it.

I'm over halfway through The Forsyte Saga now & still really enjoying it. I also went mad on Redhouse & ordered the children loads of books for Christmas doh.gif

Started A Christmas Carol last night.....my only re-read.....ever.

Well, if you're only going to re-read one book ever, A Christmas Carol is a very worthy choice! I like to re-read it every year if I can; I was going to pass this year, but maybe I'll take it on holidays with me to help get me in the Christmas mood. :)

I bought a 3-pack of Agatha Christie novels the other day: The ABC Murders, The Clocks and The Murder in the Mews.

Two books I ordered as a treat for myself when I realised I had some Amazon online vouchers have arrived this morning (thie third one is a pre-order of a book that isn't published till January):

- The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

- The Complete Book of Cross Stitch by various

Bought in my local bookshop; ‘Mile By Mile On Britain’s Railways’ by SN Pike. A 3-in-1 set by New Scientist; ‘Does Anything Eat Wasps?’, ‘Why Don’tPenguins Feet Freeze?’, and ‘Do Polar Bears Get Lonely?’ . I also bought ‘War Horse’ by Michael Morpurgo and ‘Dark Matter’ by Michelle Paver (Thank you Willoyd)

I bought these books in a local charity shop; ‘Blow On A Dead Man’s Embers’ by Mari Strachan, ‘My Haunted House’ byAngie Sage, ‘Nick Of Time’ by TedBell and ‘The Spook’s Secret’ byJoseph Delaney

I received in thepost from Amazon; ‘Stone Junction’by Jim Dodge (Thank you Brian)

And two other books were ordered today; Mari Strachan’s ‘The Earth Hums In B Flat’ and ‘The Welsh Girl’ by Peter Ho Davies (Thank you Chesilbeach)

Since 1st December I have downloaded to my Kindle; ‘The Brilliant Book Of Calm’ by Tania Ahsan, Regarding Ducks and Universes by Neve Maslakovic ‘In a A Strange Room’ by Damon Galgut, ‘Breakfast With Socrates’ by Robert Rowland Smith, ‘Victim Six’ by Gregg Olsen, ‘The Graveyard Book’ by Neil Gaiman, ‘If You Fly With The Crows’by Neal Sillars and ‘The Final Curtsey’by Margaret Rhodes

Phew! Not bad for someone who hasn’t been able to pick up a book for weeks now! :blush: