Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 16

Chrissy

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished reading Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter and have started The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle De Jour. I read the previous book a few years ago and have finally got round to reading the second.

This book is my 75th of the year, which was my target :) :) :)

I finished Nenäpäivä last night, and I really liked it but thought I was glad it wasn't the winner of the Finlandia award in 2010. And then this morning I found out that it was :D Oh boy.

I started reading The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt, my first Hustvedt ever. I was going to read other books after finishing Nenäpäivä but last night I discovered that I need to return TSWM in the library in a few days and that there are reservations and I can't just re-borrow it. So have to read it now when have the chance. Have only read 14 pages, and I'm already loving Hustvedt use of words. Fantastic!

I started reading The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt, my first Hustvedt ever. I was going to read other books after finishing Nenäpäivä but last night I discovered that I need to return TSWM in the library in a few days and that there are reservations and I can't just re-borrow it. So have to read it now when have the chance. Have only read 14 pages, and I'm already loving Hustvedt use of words. Fantastic!

I've only read A Plea for Eros by hustvedt, and while I agree the writing itself is lyrical, I wasn't enthralled with the story. I think it would take a reread to appreciate, for me at least. However, my husband read The Summer Without Men early this year, and thought it was wonderful. I haven't gotten to it yet though I know I will eventually. Probably sooner now. :)

I've only read A Plea for Eros by hustvedt, and while I agree the writing itself is lyrical, I wasn't enthralled with the story. I think it would take a reread to appreciate, for me at least. However, my husband read The Summer Without Men early this year, and thought it was wonderful. I haven't gotten to it yet though I know I will eventually. Probably sooner now. :)

I guess there are differences to the book, I tried reading Hustvedt's The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves a few months ago and I couldn't get into it at all, The Summer Without Men has been a completely different thing for me, I'm hooked! :) So do give it a try if you like :)

And did you like it? I thought it was less funny than I expected it to be. But it was a nice read.

Yep. I really enjoyed it. I didnt find it funny as such, but I thought it was a lovely read.

In other bookish news I have brought

Flyaway by Lucy Christopher

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin from the 12 days of Kindle sale.

I'm getting closer and closer to the end in George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings and I also took a head start last night on a crime novel that came out last month in my country. The new book by Arnaldur Indridason, if anyone's familiar.

I also got an email from a bookstore nearby saying they have my Inheritance in hardcover in stock now - I had to order it because they get sold out pretty fast. I'm guessing that will be my next read. So excited to finally get to see how the Eragon series end. =D

I am offically addicted to downloading books for my Kindle. Gah! Spent too much already. Books include Discovery of Witches. Two of Jack Kerley's books, and the latest Chris Carter novel.

I have two books still on the go. Ploughing though Next by Michael Crichton. Over half way through. I am finding it interesting.

My other book that decided to read is for the kindle and is called. Jesse Ventura: American Conspiracies. I know a little back information about him and I watch his show about conspiracies. Very easy to read and 25% in already. :)

I am offically addicted to downloading books for my Kindle. Gah!

Me too - I need help I think!! I've downloaded 12 since Christmas eve, I just can't say no to those bargains :blush2:

I've also read, Wrong Man Running - Alan Hruska, a pretty good thriller

and I'm half way through The Quest for Anna Klein - Thomas H Cook. Enjoying this so far. :smile:

Am about to hit the amazon sales after finally having been paid I can download some of those books which have been tempting me, In the mean time I am still reading Snuff - Terry Pratchett

Finished reading Coffee at Luke's today. Nice to incorporate more of Gilmore Girls in to my life!

I just started The Virgin Cure by Amy McKay, a lovely xmas gift from my boyfriends parents!

What?! Do you own a copy? Could you please tell me more about what the book is like? I'm sure there are others who are curious about it too! :)

What?! Do you own a copy? Could you please tell me more about what the book is like? I'm sure there are others who are curious about it too! :)

Coffee at Luke's? yes I do, it was also an xmas gift! :D

Its basically just a bunch of essays written by various people about the show. Examples of essays: one talks about the mother-daughter bond and how hard it would be in 'real life.' Another talks about Stars Hollow and small towns, and how well businesses would fare in the real world. One defends Emily, who is not the villain everyone thinks she is. Another talks about the way the show perceives sexuality and relationships with men, etc. It was pretty interesting! And it was nice to see what others thought about the show (as I am a HUGE Gilmore Girls junky!)

Coffee at Luke's? yes I do, it was also an xmas gift! :D

Its basically just a bunch of essays written by various people about the show. Examples of essays: one talks about the mother-daughter bond and how hard it would be in 'real life.' Another talks about Stars Hollow and small towns, and how well businesses would fare in the real world. One defends Emily, who is not the villain everyone thinks she is. Another talks about the way the show perceives sexuality and relationships with men, etc. It was pretty interesting! And it was nice to see what others thought about the show (as I am a HUGE Gilmore Girls junky!)

Oh man, sounds just awesome, what a great Xmas gift! :D I'd love to get a hold of the book some day, I'm going to go and add it to my wishlist and see if by any slim chance the library might have a copy :)

Oh man, sounds just awesome, what a great Xmas gift! :D I'd love to get a hold of the book some day, I'm going to go and add it to my wishlist and see if by any slim chance the library might have a copy :)

It was a great gift! My boyfriend knows how much I love the show <3

I hope you're able to get a copy of it! I definitely recommend it for any Gilmore fans!

Now I must get my hands on The Gilmore Girls Companion book! hehe