Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 16

Chrissy

"A Christmas Carol" (Charles Dickens) of course! :D

I've tried to read his "Haunted Man" a few times - but it's too blinkin' :icon_eek: scary for me!!

Isn't it a great time of year for ghost stories?

Merry Christmas, All, and the Best of New Years.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A Christmas Carol" (Charles Dickens) of course! :D

I've tried to read his "Haunted Man" a few times - but it's too blinkin' :icon_eek: scary for me!!

Isn't it a great time of year for ghost stories?

Merry Christmas, All, and the Best of New Years.

What a great choice of read for the time of year! I'm planning to read more Dickens in the New Year.

:merry:

My word I have not been on here in ages. So busy. But I have read loads of books since the last time I was on here.

Because of my blog I have had the oppotunity to read so many awesome books.

Including death Sentance and Contest.

But right now I am reading Dann Brown's digital Fortress. I was reading it on the train this morning and it kept my attention well even though the passenger next to me said that it was pretty bad. I'm only 100 pages through but I have a feeling that this will be a quick rad. However bad it is.

I grabbed some fantastic books while I was away. But I was talking to my friend and she has made me want to start reading The Girl who kicked the hornets nest ASAP. I have held out for so long as I didn't want the series to end. But it will be sent soon.

I've just finished 'Songs of Blue and Gold' by Deborah Lawrenson (I will write a review for it soon) and I'm now about to start reading 'The Long Song' by Andrea Levy. I did try and read 'The Long Song' and few months ago, but I couldn't get into it. However I've decided to give it another go.

I decided to treat myself, so downloaded and started Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

I'm now about to start reading 'The Long Song' by Andrea Levy. I did try and read 'The Long Song' and few months ago, but I couldn't get into it. However I've decided to give it another go.

This is one of my library reading group choices for next month. I have to admit, I was ambivalent about Small Island when we read it a few years ago, and I'm not especially keen on starting this one, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it this time :)

This is one of my library reading group choices for next month. I have to admit, I was ambivalent about Small Island when we read it a few years ago, and I'm not especially keen on starting this one, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it this time :)

Well I haven't read 'Small Island', but when I first tried to read 'The Long Song' I was a little uncomfortable by the almost flippant attitude of the book's main character, especially when it was to do with the subject of slavery. I'm giving this another chance though, because maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I was reading it. I will let you know my thoughts when I have finished :)

I decided to treat myself, so downloaded and started Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

Is that the 3rd or 4th one in the series? I really like it.

Gonna blame Charm for getting me into T J Michaels council of Ethics series Serati's Flame is book 2 dam those sexy gorgeous vampires.... lol

200 pages into American psycho and really enjoying it,very very well written and quite horrific in parts..... :eek:

I adore this book and is one of my favourite books of all time. I feel every emotion, and I remember still finding it hard to stop thinking about it for weeks after. It's a definate re-read for me soon.

As for me. I read more of Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. It's going Ok. Becuase of the short chapters I'm able to sneak a quickie in while having a coffee, perfect for a Mummy during Christmas Week.

I also have an EBook that I am reading on my iPod Touch. I do struggle to read on such a small screen but the book is starting to be quite good. It's called Soul Protector (I can't remember the authors name at the moment.

Is that the 3rd or 4th one in the series? I really like it.

Gonna blame Charm for getting me into T J Michaels council of Ethics series Serati's Flame is book 2 dam those sexy gorgeous vampires.... lol

It's the third one, and I'll probably finish it this afternoon - great little series. See, this is why I avoid Charm's reading blog - always too many tempting new authors in there!

I'm currently reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. My friend told me it was amazing but to be honest I'm finding it a bit of a slow read. Yesterday I finished Jenny Colgan's The Good, The Bad and the Dumped, which I was reading alongside The Secret History as it was a quick, light-hearted book.

Hi Kate

I read Secret History several years ago and loved it . It starts out a little bit strangely, but picks up at one point ,so maybe you haven't reached that point yet . Hope you stick it out if possible .( But we all like different books, so maybe you won't like it as much as I did ). Good luck :)

I finished Tales Behind the Tombstones yesterday and am now teetering between a library book,and Under the Dome (King) .It's a WHOPPER .

Blimey! Were you reading other books inbetween? what did you think of it?

I was indeed - I think I've read 80/90 other books in that time period. Weridly enough, it the end I really enjoyed it and read the second half in about 3/4 weeks. I just kept stopping and starting with it a lot, but it was a very enjoyable read.

Well I had a new Kindle today for my birthday, and to go with it I got 2 DVD;s with 200,000 ebooks as well as the Calibre software for conversion, had some interesting moments with the conversion, but on the DVD's I found a Christmas Carol, so have started reading it on my kindle, I am finding reading on the kindle better than I expected :smile:

I also got 2 books from my mum Childrens Stories by the Village Shepherd by Janice B Scott

Because I believe that God is in every part of life but does not intrude unless invited, these stories follow a similar pattern. That is, they are about God and Christianity, but they do not intrude unless invited. Above all, they are for enjoyment, because that too is what I believe about God -- that God should be enjoyed. -- From the Foreword This collection of heartwarming stories from the Village Shepherd is an ideal means for revealing deep truths of the Christian faith while at the same time entertaining and captivating readers. It is a journey through worlds of talking animals, imaginative characters, pixies and goblins, and regular, everyday life, learning important lessons on faith, love, family, and God. Some stories evoke laughter while others bring tears, but each will leave the reader better for the experience. Every tale is linked to a passage from the Bible, aiding readers in searching beneath the surface of the story and applying its wisdom to their daily lives. This collection is sure to be a treasured part of any library, appealing to the child in all of us

and Vengeance Lies in Wait by Janice B Scott,

When Rev. Polly Hewitt arrives as rector in a new parish, disturbing things happen to her. It seems that someone is out to get her, but who is targeting her and why?

The culmination is when Polly is taking a funeral, but discovers there is already a body in the grave. Who is the murder victim and who is the murderer?

When Polly tries to find out for herself, events escalate and she is soon in danger.

Set in the Norfolk countryside, this tale of intrigue in small villages with the unlikely backdrop of the Church of England, will grip you from the beginning. If you have enjoyed Polly Hewitt's escapades in "Heaven Spent" and "Babes And Sucklings", you are sure to enjoy this murder mystery, the third in the series

They are both by a local author and my mum thought of me after hearing her interviewed on the local radio, they are Christian themed books,

I will have a handyman over later today, he's going to clean my filthy laptop and hopefully it'll start working nicely again, without crashing down on it's own every now and then. I'm very much looking forward to then catching up on stuff here on the forum, I've missed this place so much <3

I finished Robert Rankin's The Book of Ultimate Truths yesterday, it was pretty good. I will definitely be reading more of Rankin's novels in the future. I now have only four different books on the go, all non-fiction, I wish to finish them all off soon so I can go back to reading one book at a time!

@ Jessi - Thats awesome that you liked it in the end. My memory is not what it used to be would have given up because I would have forgot the plot and would have had to re-read it. Haha.

As for me. I unfortunately have a few books on the go at the moment.

One is the Soul Protector by Amanda Leigh Cowley which like I said in a previous post is an E-book that I read on my iPod Touch. I generally read this when on a break or waiting to pick the kids up and now that I am doing neither because of the Xmas holidays it's kind of been put on the back burner even though it is a book I have been asked to review... Whoops. It is however starting to get quite good. It's about a woman who seems to be able to shift into other people's bodies. She then finds out that she is not alone and that there other people who can do the same thing, they call themselves Soul Protectors. Looks like there will be some romance and some action... I hope.

My second book is a Non fiction book.Called The Bible Code 2 by Michael Drosnin. I am a bit of a conspiracy fan, whether I believe in the conspiracy or not. I just fin it fascinating. This book is hwat it says onthe cover. A jounralist was brought to attention to a hidden code in the Bible. In the first book (Which I read a few years ago) you read about how he found out about the code, trying to unlock the code to it's full potential and the consequences if we don't full unlock it's secrets. In Book two it starts with him waking up on 9/11. He then goes on to state that he goes to his computer to see if the code had predicted the event. It does. Through the book it goes back to previous events to show how the author travels the world to warn political leaders about the upcoming End Of days. I'm around half way through, after reading another 50 pages last night. I find it a easy book to read.

My final present reads is of course the Dan Brown's Digital fortress. I am still finding this a plesant read. Like previously said the short chapters are great forme right now, and it seems to be keeping my attention. I'm glad this isn't a Langdon book as I think I would have stopped reading by now.

It's fiunny isn't it when your mojo is high you seem to be so much happier? Reading, looking at my bookshelf anticipating my next read and being able to come on to a forum like this and posting my progress has really made me happy. Thank you to all of you.