Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 16

Chrissy

I'm still wading through The Winter Palace - hugely enjoyable but I need to devote a reasonable length of time to it at each sitting and there's so much else going on at the moment. Will finish it this week (that's my promise) and that will take by tally for the year up to 50 (I'm sure that's a drop in the ocean to some of our bookworms on here :cool: ). I am then ready to go on me hols with a loaded up Kindle. :D

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mojo's flying high at the moment I finished the second volume of The Forsyte Saga, brilliant read if anything I enjoyed it even more than the first as I felt I knew the characters better. I've just finished The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse, I wasn't very impressed with this one not eerie enough to be considered a good ghost story but at least it was a quick read so not much time wasted. Next I'm going to read the much recommended 4th book in the True Blood series Dead To The World by Charlaine Harris.

Finally. Finished. 1Q84!!!

Yes, it was worth it, but honestly, it didn't have to be quite so repetitive!! :huh:

Started, almost finished the latest Flavia de Luce...they honestly get better and better. :cool:

Finished Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves about a week ago. Brilliant read and genuinely scary at times - it's one of those books that linger in the back of your mind and crawl out to bite when you turn the lights off at night. It reminded me of what books are meant to be - a discovery, exploration. I still keep it close by just to page through and ponder about. :) At the moment I'm very much enjoying the new Sherlock Holmes adventure, House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz as well as Carrie by, of course, Stephen King (who would have thought I'm really a closet King fan?!).

I finally finished 'IQ84' Books 1 & 2 by Haruki Murakami and I started book 3, I am also reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin (but its not ongoing reading :) )

Just finished Sisters Brothers.

Loved it ~~ :D

I know I was 53 pgs into God of Small Things, but after the above book, I need a little lighter reading to balance things out.

Stay tuned .......

I finally finished 'IQ84' Books 1 & 2 by Haruki Murakami and I started book 3, I am also reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin (but its not ongoing reading :) )

Ahh, "finally", being the operative word. :rolleyes: I'd become so annoyed, I'd be tempted to throw the thing. But, in the end, it's well worth the trip. IMO it could have been a lot shorter, more concise.

Stay tuned .......

:cool: So glad to hear that! I thought his style was a little dry, but in a good way. The cowboy way. :lol:

Edited by pontalba

:cool: So glad to hear that! I thought his style was a little dry, but in a good way. The cowboy way. :lol:

Hi Pontalba

Yep, it was told just like a cowboy ,wasn't it ? I usually like books like that though ,so it was a perfect fit for me . :wink:

I had planned on MAKING myself read today, but it didn;t happen. :( Instead I organised my Kindle into better categories, deleted some of the freebies I had downloaded but I knew I would never read, and generally made busy with it. I'll get to some reading tomorrow. :readingtwo:

Kell

Hope you enjoy Sisters Brothers . I thought it was great . I kept thinking about how they could make this into a movie. I rarely ever watch movies ,but did keep thinking about how this could be a really neat one .

Chrissy

Hope you come out of your reading slump soon. Sometimes I'll pick up a really different type book ,which will make things click,and get me started reading again.

It usually has to be a nonfiction book of some type .

:D I'm reading it now and loving it so far. I'm so pleased because it's not very often that I get the chance to read western fiction (I've long thought it's a bit of a neglected genre .. here in the UK anyway). I'm hoping that they will make it into a movie because my Dad will love it, he loves all things cowboy (having said that he didn't exactly get on with Brokeback Mountain :smile2:) but can't read anymore due to a disability .. but can listen so I might look out for the audio .. it depends how the story progresses.

Ahh, "finally", being the operative word. :rolleyes: I'd become so annoyed, I'd be tempted to throw the thing. But, in the end, it's well worth the trip. IMO it could have been a lot shorter, more concise.

It was definitely well worth it pontalba, as much as I enjoyed Books 1 & 2, at times I did find it difficult to pick up again, not for any particular reason although maybe unconsciously I just didn't want the book to end :giggle:

'IQ84' Book 3 by Haruki Murakami :)

Poppy

I'm glad you are also liking Sisters Brothers . I had to chuckle when you said your dad didn't exactly enjoy Brokeback Mountain. I think most of that age group would frown on it .I can't imagine my parents approving of something like that either .

I grew up watching cowboy shows. They were really popular here back then,but not so much now. I can't even remember when the last western was on tv. We do occasionally have cowboy movies come out,but rarely .

As for western books, our libraries all have western sections .A large majority are the Zane Grey type books and other real thin paperbacks . It probably isn't a very popular section .I rarely see people check them out .

I'll look and see what I have here on hand that is a Western and come back in and post a list of them . I don't think I have very many,but I'll see .

I put my list of westerns I own over in the thread -Is The Western Genre Dying Out ?

Edited by julie

Into the last 50 pages of The Midwife's Confession, it's very good, I just need more time!

Got Anna Gavalda's "I wish someone were waiting for me somewhere" out of the library today which I'm really looking forward to reading, but I also need to get started on "The Bloody Chamber".

I had a little bit of cash left over after ordering my brother's Christmas present, so I bought two 1p books on Amazon Marketplace - Valiant by Holly Black (terrible book, but a guilty pleasure) and The Various - book one in a trilogy by Steve Augaurde. I had bought the latter once before, but I missed the postie as he delivered it for some reason at 7.30am rather than the usual 9-10am, and it didn't fit in my postbox! So it went back to England, and I had to buy it again. :giggle2:

I polished off the last 150 pages of 'The Payback' by Simon Kernick this morning and then got stuck straight into 'Snowdrops' by A.D. Miller. Am now about 60 pages into that and plan to read some more before bed. Hasn't exactly got me gripped so far but still intrigued enough to read on. A good days reading really and despite spending a lot of time on here catching up with what has been going on, no books purchased ....yet.

Edited by tunn300

Finished A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Not very impressed with it. In fact, I'm a bit irritated with it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I went to the library today, and picked up a few books:

A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguo. Recommended by someone on here who read it recently. Can't remember who though. :blush:

Florence and Giles - John Harding. Another recommendation from here.

Last Light - Alex Scarrow

I've just started A Pale View of Hills, which seems like a reasonably quick read.