Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 16

Chrissy

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a book about the Mothman, which is a legend in West Virginia .I've seen it mentioned on several supernatural type tv shows. Not sure what to think of it ,but the book looked neat. It had lots of news articles, etc from back then ,lots of firt-hand accounts of people who actually saw this thing,whatever it is .

I think they made a movie about it a couple years back, but I have no clue what it was called .

I like reading about unsolved type things like this .

When God Was a Rabbit is on my to read pile, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts :D

My trouble is I have a massive to read pile, go to the library to return books, see more I want to read then have to prioritise those because they have to go back. Sigh.

I've been reading Sebastian Faulk's Engleby for my own pleasure, whilst also reading Simon Armitage's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men for university.

I just recently finished all the Hunger Games, for the second time. :-)

And I also surprised my mother with the longest book-wish list ever for Christmas this year :P

( I think I broke the record)

I'm considering pulling 'Memory & Dream' by Charles De lint, out of my book list :)

Have any good recommendations?

'The Way Of The Wyrd' by Brian Bates arrived today, also 'Anglo-Saxon FAQ's' by Stephen Pollington. Maybe if my reading mojo comes a'wandering home, I may get to read them some day soon. :blush:

Are you an Anglo Saxon fan Chrissy? I have a mass of A-S books on the bookshelf - I absolutely love that era - I think my favourite book is the Anglo Saxon Chronicles and a book I've got on the Sutton Hoo treasure.

I'm still reading The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak and I've also got Apricot Jam (short stories) by Solzhenitsyn on the go.

I found a copy of When God Was a Rabbit on the train a few months ago, and it was one of the best finds, so funny! Have you had the nativity play yet??

I have gotten about halfway through Wuthering Heights, and I am struggling. I am not a classic reader at all, but my friend is working her way through them, having just read all of Jane Austen and I thought maybe it was time to give them another go as I havent read any since school.

Anyways, needless to say it is not going well!

Are you an Anglo Saxon fan Chrissy? I have a mass of A-S books on the bookshelf - I absolutely love that era - I think my favourite book is the Anglo Saxon Chronicles and a book I've got on the Sutton Hoo treasure.

I met a really interesting man the other day, and we got talking. He is very involved with visiting schools and giving talks and workshops on all things Anglo-Saxon. It galvanised me to actually follow through on my interest, and so asked him if he could recommend a few titles for someone with a raised interest but beggar all knowledge. :D I now have a fair few titles listed, but am going to do the buying slowly. A light has been lit within, so all is good.

I'm a little over halfway through When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman. Really enjoying it!

A friend bought me this for my birthday & I really enjoyed it toosmile.gif

I'm about a quarter of the way into The Forsythe Saga Vol 2 & really starting to get into it now, I',m so glad I picked it up again.

Almost done with Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. Started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, today - this is my second try with this book, the first time I found it a little boring and gave up, but then I read a few good reviews of it recently and decided to give it another try.

I finished Elephants can remember last night. Not one of Agatha's best in my opinion but entertaining nevertheless. Not sure what to go to next. I have Moby Dick on the Kindle but not sure I am in the mood.

Edited by Dr Bill

I'm still reading Packing for Mars by Mary Roach, which is a very interesting read about preparing for space travel.

Today I was in town, so decided to go to the library for the first time in about a year. :thud: I came away with The Divide by Nicholas Evans and The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. It will be weird to read a tree book for the first time in quite a while.