Can remakes of classic films ever be better?

vodkafan

Remakes  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should classic films be remade?

• Yes certainly
    • not bothered
    • No! They should leave well alone

Only one woman could pull this off......the world's Greatest Living Actress....

Kate Beckinsale? Yes, yes I entirely agree :giggle2::wink:

Can she play Scarlett in her Underworld outfit? :unsure: :ph34r:

(well, apart from Jack Black who gives me a bit of a reaction)

I think I have the same reaction - can't stand the bloke :lol:

Thanks for reminding me about the remake of Planet of the Apes, though - I'd only just managed to obliterate that abomination from my memory :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the original Clash of the Titans (1960s) when the special effects were models - the Cracken was brilliant! I have recently seen the remake which is 99% CGI and it has absolutely no soul whatsoever. Same with the original Time Machine with Rod Taylor soooo much better than the remake with errr ..... can't remember :blush:

Does anyone remember the original Clash of the Titans (1960s) when the special effects were models - the Cracken was brilliant! I have recently seen the remake which is 99% CGI and it has absolutely no soul whatsoever. Same with the original Time Machine with Rod Taylor soooo much better than the remake with errr ..... can't remember :blush:

Guy Pierce :wink:

Just cos I remember it doesn't mean I liked it, though :lol:

Totally agree with you about the remake of Clash. You can't beat Ray Harryhausen :cool: Plus they would've had a tough time CGI-ing Harry Hamlin's perm ...

At times, I get right on my high horse about re~makes, there have been some re~makes I have enjoyed but ultimately I have liked the original better (although I have still to see the new version of 'True Grit', I loved the book), so basically, Hollywood leave well alone! :) Colin Farrell as 'Doug Quaid' in 'Total Recall' ~ nope! is the word that comes to mind. :)

Disappointments for me (filmically speaking .. if I listed all my disappointments we'd be here all day :D) ..

King Kong

Pride & Prejudice

Miracle on 34th Street

Planet of the Apes

The Preachers Wife (Bishops)

Sabrina (lord, what an insult)

Alfie

St Trinians

Wuthering Heights (but don't think anyone has been successful at bringing this book alive yet)

Well we'll have to agree to disagree about Miracle on 34th Street, but we are definitely on the same wavelength about The Bishop's Wife (fabulous film - in my top 10), Sabrina (love Julia Ormond, but this was poor, poor, poor) and St Trinians (just thinking of it makes me hang my head in shame that I even watched it).

Wait! How many versions of The Thing are there?? I know of 2...the original with James Arness [of Gunsmoke fame] and the remake with, I think Kurt Russell??

The original was truly.....let's just say "camp". :giggle2: Sort of like The Crawling Eye.....does anyone know of that one? :rolleyes:

Wait! How many versions of The Thing are there?? I know of 2...the original with James Arness [of Gunsmoke fame] and the remake with, I think Kurt Russell??

The original was truly.....let's just say "camp". :giggle2: Sort of like The Crawling Eye.....does anyone know of that one? :rolleyes:

Never heard of The Crawling Eye have to look that one up.....Paula the new film The Thing is NOT a remake it is a prequel, it is about the Norwegians who discovered the alien, in the Kurt Russell film they had already all popped their clogs...although that does give away the plot of the new film pretty much I guess

I am thinking maybe they should remake Zulu or maybe Gone With The Wind?

What do you think?

Gone with the Wind? :huh: Never! They could never, ever, find anyone to come close to Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable!

But on the whole I agree why does Hollywood insist on re-making classic films, there was talk at some point of remaking Blade Runner (shudder) which I am thankful they never have.

I thought they were still doing this remake? I'm sure I read something about it only recently...

The day the earth stood still remake has to be the biggest crime against cinema so far.

I've been told not to watch this, but I still can't help but be curious. :(

Generally, I hate remakes. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one as good as (or better than) the original. For me, it's often about the charismatic actors that appeared in the originals. They just don't make actors like that any more. :(

I just thought of a remake that was much, much better than the original:

John Carpenter's The Thing. The black and white original B movie was called The Thing From Outer Space

Actually, it was called The Thing From Another World, not to be confused with It: The Terror from Beyond Space, of which Alien is effectively a remake. Ooh! - now there's a remake that was better than the original! :)

And I agree, you've got another one there - John Carpenter's The Thing is a classic, probably his best film and easily Kurt Russell's. It's much more faithful to John Campbell's story 'Who Goes There?' than the original movie. It's a shame it bombed when it was released in '82. I don't know whether I want to see the prequel or not, tbh. I can see it being a mess of cgi, where as Rob Bottin's practical effects were what made Carpenter's version truly outstanding.

Having said all that, I quite like the original film. Kenneth Tobey was in some cracking sci-fi movies. :D

I thought they were still doing this remake? I'm sure I read something about it only recently...

I think they are talking of making a prequel or a sequel not sure which, whatever I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good as the original.

I think first Godzilla better than second one but I think true what people say The Thing that Kurt russel work better than first one.

Paun when you say first Godzilla do you mean the Japanese movies? There were lots of those so I get confused. Not sure if I have seen it. I didn't like the Hollywood version it made Godzilla more of an ordinary dinosaur.

Edited by vodkafan

Actually, it was called The Thing From Another World, not to be confused with It: The Terror from Beyond Space, of which Alien is effectively a remake. Ooh! - now there's a remake that was better than the original! :)

And I agree, you've got another one there - John Carpenter's The Thing is a classic, probably his best film and easily Kurt Russell's. It's much more faithful to John Campbell's story 'Who Goes There?' than the original movie. It's a shame it bombed when it was released in '82. I don't know whether I want to see the prequel or not, tbh. I can see it being a mess of cgi, where as Rob Bottin's practical effects were what made Carpenter's version truly outstanding.

Having said all that, I quite like the original film. Kenneth Tobey was in some cracking sci-fi movies. :D

Thanks for correcting me. I only saw the original once when I was a kid. I do remember it being quite exciting and frightening for a B movie. There used to be a series of old sci-fi/horror movies on a Friday night when I was about 15-16. My parents used to go to bed and I would stay up and watch them on my own. I remember one where there were invisible brains and spinal columns wandering around sucking brains out of people. They became visible when dosed in radiation. Oh what a gem that one was.

Thanks for correcting me. I only saw the original once when I was a kid. I do remember it being quite exciting and frightening for a B movie. There used to be a series of old sci-fi/horror movies on a Friday night when I was about 15-16. My parents used to go to bed and I would stay up and watch them on my own. I remember one where there were invisible brains and spinal columns wandering around sucking brains out of people. They became visible when dosed in radiation. Oh what a gem that one was.

Oooh, was that It Came from Outer Space? I remember alien brains floating around the desert in that one, I think.

That trailer was hilarious :lol: But no that wasn't it. This was an English black and white film. The brains and spinal columns were once human and needed to suck other brains out of live people to survive. Made that way by radiation from atom bomb tests of course. They were romping about the English countryside. I would love to see that one again.