London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins

Milo MInderbinder

Waterstones in the last few years have been very good at doing inspiring informative displays of books from certain genres. Be it ‘European Writers’, ‘Best Short Stories Collections’, or ‘Classic Crime’ etc. Until I went in the other week I had never heard of the writer Norman Collins. LBTM was in amongst titles in a particular display by writers like Barry Hines and Stan Barstow. I suppose it was some kind of ‘Best of British’ or ‘Kitchen Sink Drama’s' promotion. Originally written in 1945 LBTM is one of the recent Penguin print of ‘Vintage classics’ range. I Had a look at it and thought it could be worth a bash.

Good thinking on my part. This is easily my book of the year. The setting is a rooming house/lodgings at No.10 Dulcimer Street, Kennington, London. The characters are the occupants of this address. Amongst them the fragile-but-fearsome landlady Mrs. Vizzard, the young rebel without a clue/promising mechanic Percy Boon who see’s London and the world as his for the taking, Connie the ageing nightclub cloakroom attendant, the mysterious Mr. Squales, and (my personal favourites) the brilliant middle-aged couple Mr. and Mrs. Josser.

The first chapter starts on Christmas eve 1938 and describes Mr. Jossers retirement day from the company he has worked for all his life. We are then taken through the intertwining tales of the residents of Dulcimer Street in the lead up to WW2 and the book ends exactly two years later in 1940. Collins envelopes the reader in late 1930’s London, the politics, the architecture, the food, the weather, the fashions, and the humour of what must have been a very strange time to be alive in England’s capital. This is a such a well written book that I would recommend it to anybody who likes, er, reading books! Collins humour is razor sharp but he can also nail you with some of the sadness that befalls certain characters. This is an excellent funny, touching, and euphoric read.

As I mentioned earlier I don’t know much about Collins, but he wrote a few books before this one and was a part of the left-wing publishing house that first published Orwell’s ‘Road to Wigan Pier’ he had a period at the BBC and then jumped ship and challenged the monopoly of the Beeb and became one of the big hitters at ATV through the 50’s and 60’s. I just wish that people with his insight, humanity and striking wit were still in charge of what gets on the telly. I’d definitely watch more of it if this bloke was running things.

I agree with Milo, this is a lovely book. I've been a fan of Norman Collins since my dad introduced me to his books a long while back. You should also try to get hold of Bond Street Story - a booked centred around a Department Store - which is just as good as LBTM. I love the way he deals with the minutiae of London Life. (There was a good black and white film of LBTM with Richard Attenborough playing Percy).

If that style of book appeals I would also recommend Angel Pavement by J P Priestley which I have listed on my profile as my favourite book. Similar in some ways to LBTM but with the added warmth of Priestley's wonderful prose.

Edited by SueK

Yes, London Belongs To Me is a great book. If you're interested in this sort of stuff (and I'm a sucker for books on London low-life myself), London Books is a small publishing house which has re-issued some classic stuff from the same era by the likes of Gerald Kersh, James Curtis and Bob Westerby (www.london-books.co.uk is their website).

Thanks for recommending those books Sue. I can see this forum is going to cost me money. I already give the guys at Amazon far too much from my wages!

:readingtwo:

Oh yes, we've all been there too. It's all the good recommendations on this site and makes one rush out and buy the book. By the way, you're not Roman Abramovitch in disguise are you? :giggle2:

Yes, London Belongs To Me is a great book. If you're interested in this sort of stuff (and I'm a sucker for books on London low-life myself), London Books is a small publishing house which has re-issued some classic stuff from the same era by the likes of Gerald Kersh, James Curtis and Bob Westerby (www.london-books.co.uk is their website).

That sounds right up my street Roland. I'll check out the website (oh dear more money .... :lol: )

Yes, you and I seem to have eerily similar tastes, Sue ... :lol:

Oh, and Alexander Baron's The Lowlife is another one you'd like. Have you read any Patrick Hamilton?

Thanks again Roland I'll have a look out for that too :) . Yes, I have read Patrick Hamilton, not the biggie .... Hangover Square, but I've read Slaves of Solitude and absolutely loved it. Also, if you haven't read it, I strongly recommend Angel Pavement - it's a lovely story of normal people leading their everyday life in London but told in such a wonderful way.

Edited by SueK