Looking for books set in London

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Connolly is an historical romance / saga set in the East end of London and is very good. The fact that I do not read romances as I pretty much hate them, yet enjoyed this one, should indicate just how good it is! :)

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Connolly is an historical romance / saga set in the East end of London and is very good. The fact that I do not read romances as I pretty much hate them, yet enjoyed this one, should indicate just how good it is! :)

There are 3 volumes, right? I've read the first 2 ones, but in French, so I don't know which one is which in English. I've loved them and I believe the third one's just been released. So I definitely will read the third one! Thanks for reminding me!

There are 3 volumes, right? I've read the first 2 ones, but in French, so I don't know which one is which in English. I've loved them and I believe the third one's just been released. So I definitely will read the third one! Thanks for reminding me!

I've checked.

The first one is called "The Tea Rose", the second one is "The Winter Rose" and the last one is "The Wild Rose" but is not yet been released.

Edit: the paperback of the latter has not yet been released, but the hardcover (but American version) was released last August!

Edited by MysteryRose

I really enjoyed that book too. Her descriptions of vintage fashion was just great.

I've just been writing on another thread here called "London Belongs to Me" by Norman Collins. This book was written in 1945 and it is centred solely around London Life. In the same era is Angel Pavement by J P Priestley which is centred around an office in 40s London. If you are a doorstep challenge, then there is "London" by Edward Rutherfurd which is historical fiction of London from Bronze Age (I think) to present day.

I really enjoyed that book too. Her descriptions of vintage fashion was just great.

I've just been writing on another thread here called "London Belongs to Me" by Norman Collins. This book was written in 1945 and it is centred solely around London Life. In the same era is Angel Pavement by J P Priestley which is centred around an office in 40s London. If you are a doorstep challenge, then there is "London" by Edward Rutherfurd which is historical fiction of London from Bronze Age (I think) to present day.

Thank you. I'll check them out. I must say that at the moment I don't really read historical fiction, but I usually enjoy them. So if I like the synopsis, I will definitely add them to my wish list. Thanks again! :wink:

Hi!

I love London, and I love reading books set in London. So if you know novels (Chick Lit, Contempory, Romance) set in London, please let me know!

Thanks!

Don't know about chick lit or romance, but the following are all set in London, have something to say about London and are post-war to modern; I've read them all in the past year or two, and enjoyed them (especially those asterisked)

Martin Amis: London Fields, Money

Monica Ali: Brick Lane

Jane Stevenson: London Bridges

Michael Moorcock: Mother London*

Ben Aaronavitch: Rivers of London*, Moon Over Soho*

Peter Ackroyd The Great Fire of London, The House of Doctor Dee*, Hawksmoor*, all set in contemporary London, but all of which include an historical element which you may not be looking for.

Neil Gaiman: Neverwhere

Blake Morrison: South of the River

William Boyd: Ordinary Thunderstorms

Ian Sinclair is generally regarded as one of the quintessential London writers. I've never really got on with his writing, but you may enjoy it.

There are a lot more books I'd recommend with a stronger historical element, but I gather that's not what you want.

Edited by willoyd

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Willoyd! It's quite a list!!! I'll check them all out! Thanks! And you're right, at the moment I'm not really reading historical novels.

It would be interesting to find out how you get on with any of the suggestions here. I should have also said, that I can totally concur with SueK's suggestion of Norman Collins's book London Belongs To Me - one of my favourite London reads of recent years.

I should have also remembered that there is a really good website called Fictional Cities, which focuses on books based on Venice, Florence and London (London may be my home city, but I've an almost equal fascination with Venice). Lots of interesting browsing.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean the book edited by Ben Weinreb and Christopher Hibbert, then yes, I've had a copy of that for about as long as I can remember. It's well worth the investment if you have any interest in London at all. It's exactly what it sounds like, a straight up-and-down encyclopaedia, and whether you use it to look up something particular or just dip in and out of it, it's a fascinating book. Go for it!

London Encyclopaedia - one of the best books I've got on London. You won't be disappointed (but, possibly, addicted!). Brilliant for dipping in and out of.

I can not wait!! I HOPE to get it by Saturday, but I fear it will be next Monday :D

Edited by MysteryRose