11/22/63 - Stephen King

bobblybear

Who is looking forward to his latest: 11/22/63, which comes out 8th November? :boogie:

I haven't pre-ordered it, but will be buying the Kindle version as soon as it comes out.

Not being American, I wonder if the book will have the same sort of impact on me as it would on someone who grew up with the JFK legacy. The plot doesn't sound that much like my cup of tea, but I shall still get it as soon as it comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bobbly and Busy

I'll be watching for your opinions myself. Still patiently waiting for my copy of the Kennedy one to arrive . It will be quite interesting to see what different takes we have on it from here and over there.

I think some famous figures seem to hold the same fascination for all of us, like I love anything about your royal family --we just gobble that up over here,as I'm sure there are people over here that you all just can't get enough of .

It really will be interesting to see how this book takes place. when I first saw he was writing about that subject, it seemed so out of character from what he usually writes, so it will be fun to see what he does with it .

I'm old enough to remember Kennedy and the day he was killed. I was only 5,but remember it being on tv constantly for days on end .

Hi Michelle

Sounds good ! I'll be watching when you all fnish up to see how you liked it. I think I wanted to read it because it's an unusual topic for Stephen King to take on . He doesn't usually write books that are connected to many serious historical topics . I haven't read nearly all of them,mainly because I'm not a huge horror fan. I did read some of his really early ones,back in my younger days . I think I read Bag of Bones, the ghost -type story ,then one about some guys in a cabin in the woods -- can't recall any more than that .

I have a copy of Lisey's story,but have to admit, I bought it for the cover. It was so pretty . :D

Michelle

Yes,I'd say Bag of Bones was good . Really different than the early ones I read , I think it was Salem's Lot for one .....I really never kept very good track of my books read .

I can't think of the one with the guys in the woods, I think maybe hunters ...maybe aliens or some such thing ,I can't even recall .

I also liked Green Mile but hated the ending .I don't guess most of his stories have happy endings though .

I have heard Under the Dome was good too .

I tend to like thick books, so the thicker the better .

I bought 11/22/63 tonight. Wow, it is a heavy book. :)

Only problem is I have a couple other books to read before I get to King. I also have my name on the list for two books at the library and when my name is called I have to read them as they only give you a limited time. One of the books though is t Zero Day and I am number 130 on the list (they have 4 copies)so it will be a while before I get that book.

I will keep reading the posts to see how well you all like 11/22/63.

Edited by muggle not

Hi Muggle not

My copy is on the way -- just got an email that they mailed it today,so should have it within a couple days time .

I know what you mean about library books --when you get them,you have to read them or lose your chance at them .

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 50 year anniversary of the Kennedy assination. I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned it. maybe the book isn't very interesting. :readingtwo:

especially since no one has posted recently on the book. :Zzzz:

Hi Mugglenot

I'm still reading the book .On pg 575 . It's good .It's a huge book, so it takes time to read .As far as I know, no one else has finished it yet or if they have, I haven't seen a post about it .

Not sure where the others are at this point. Maybe they'll see this and post how far they are or if they are done .

I'll post a note when I get it finished . :)

I'm about 55% through, but haven't had a chance to read it as much as I'd have liked. It's very good, and will probably be one of his top 5, IMO. I'm very curious as to how it will end. I think that

the Yellow Card Man is the main character ('George Amberton'), and was kind of trapped in a time loop.

That's just my theory, but they are so often wrong. :giggle2:

This is a new release that has completely passed me by. (What on earth have I been doing all this time - Oh yeah, it's called life and it keeps getting in the way of my reading!)

Sounds very interesting. I don't think it matters if you are American or not - the JFK assassination was such a global event that even to me, born 7 years after it happened in another country, it feels like a very relevent piece of history to me.

I can see my Christmas list needs to be amended!

Ian

Well, folks,

I just completed the book, 11/22/63 .Stayed up late last night and just now closed the book on the last page .

May I say that this was possibly one of the best books I have ever read ? WOW, I don't even know where to start ,other than to say it has many twists and turns and a very unusual ending . It's been a really long time since I was this wrapped up in a book ,so much that I read several hundred pages within a few hour's time .

I need to refer back to Mugglenot first : This year isn't the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death ,that will be 2 years from now -- 11/22/2013 .

It's always mentioned on the news here each year in remembrance of JFK .I'm sure on the 50th anniversary of his death, we will be bombarded with tv specials and probably many new books will be out around that time .

Bobblybear

Keep on reading. I'm a little foggy about what you mentioned in your spoiler. ( I don't know how to do that yet,so will wait til you are done ,so maybe we can discuss it then ,after I try to figure out spoliers .

* Today is Thanksgiving, and I have a turkey to wrestle into the oven,so not much time . :D

Ian

I would highly recommend the book. It has so many really good parts ....jst can't think of how to post without giving too much away .

I'll be watching for someone else to finish it, then maybe we can figure out a few things ..

Edited by julie

Ooh.. well done on finishing! I have it on audio (as I've probably said loads of times :giggle:) and it's a good format for it. Thankfully the narrator is really good, as a bad one can ruin a good book! I'm not quite hapf way through yet, so I'm really interested to see where the rest goes.

I'm not really good at "shortening " my posts,but let's see if I can make a really short description of 11/22/63 ,then try doing the spoiler below for those who are done reading it .

This book is about time travel,and how the main character goes back in time to the year 1958. His main purpose is to see if he can possibly change a major historical event,the assassination of JFK . He sets out to do that, but has many other loose ends he gets involved in beforehand .

The book has suspense,action,mystery ,a touch of a romance ,and some history all tossed in.

I guess I'd better cut it off here so I don't give away any more of the story .

I'd be interested in hearing what your take is on the following once you complete the book :

1- Do you think life back in the 50's sounded simpler or more complicated ? I can see both viewpoints on this .

2- I'm a little fuzzy on the guy who Jake met at the "invisible steps" each time ,and the reasoning for the different colored cards ? Any ideas on what significance those would be ?

Well, folks,

I just completed the book, 11/22/63 .Stayed up late last night and just now closed the book on the last page .

May I say that this was possibly one of the best books I have ever read ? WOW, I don't even know where to start ,other than to say it has many twists and turns and a very unusual ending . It's been a really long time since I was this wrapped up in a book ,so much that I read several hundred pages within a few hour's time .

I need to refer back to Mugglenot first : This year isn't the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death ,that will be 2 years from now -- 11/22/2013 .

It's always mentioned on the news here each year in remembrance of JFK .I'm sure on the 50th anniversary of his death, we will be bombarded with tv specials and probably many new books will be out around that time .

Bobblybear

Keep on reading. I'm a little foggy about what you mentioned in your spoiler. ( I don't know how to do that yet,so will wait til you are done ,so maybe we can discuss it then ,after I try to figure out spoliers .

* Today is Thanksgiving, and I have a turkey to wrestle into the oven,so not much time . :D

Ian

I would highly recommend the book. It has so many really good parts ....jst can't think of how to post without giving too much away .

I'll be watching for someone else to finish it, then maybe we can figure out a few things ..

You are absolutley correct. my old age got me again and I screwed up. I remember well the events of 11-22-63 and still get emotional when I think about it. I will actually start reading the book today, I just finished reading Grisham's book, The Confession.

You are absolutley correct. my old age got me again and I screwed up. I remember well the events of 11-22-63 and still get emotional when I think about it. I will actually start reading the book today, I just finished reading Grisham's book, The Confession.

Hi Mugglenot

No problem, I am suffering the effects of old age myself. I know what it's like. I remember the day Kennedy was killed ,too ,but I was 5,so my memory of it isn't as good as an older person's would have been . And yes, it was such a very sad time,and still is tragic when you see what has happened to JFK's family .So many tragedies .

Awhile back, I read Ted Kennedy's book, True Compass. It was SO good . If you have any interest in learning more about the family,it was such an interesting book . I read it mainly to see how Ted was able to go through the number of terrible events that occurred in their family and keep on getting up every day and never giving up . He was such an inspirational person .

On another note, how'd you like the Grisham book ? I used to read all of his ,but I am way behind now and have many to catch up with .

I've only just seen that book yesterday and I will wait for the paperback to be published. As a German aged 30 I haven't any personal string to the Kennedy assasination.

Which doesn't mean that the Germans haven't at all, the older generation loves him for a speech he gave in Berlin, but I'm more than 20 years too young to say, that for me it is more than history.

But I think, that book will be interresting to me in two ways:

First for a closer feeling to Kennedy and his murder.

Second for the theme of changing history.

But, as I said, I will wait for the paperback, as the hardcover is very heavy when you are used to hold the book while reading.

I have never read a Stephen king book. Nor have I ever wanted to. His books are based in the 'horror' genre yet not a single of his films has ever been scary which I suppose is why they are only ever a 12 or a 15 which to me does not qualify as a horror. I prefer books and films that keep me awake at night.

A question to all King-fans here:

In a review I read on amazon it is mentioned, that one of the characters is doing something about a desaster in 1958, one of the other King-books. But it didn't say, which.

Should I read that book first? And, if so, which one is it?

Many of King's books mention events from other books he's written, but I've never found they ruin those books as future reading material. For example, the back story of Gerald's Game features the same eclipse that is a part of the storyline in Delores Clayborne, and it even alludes the events of that eclipse event in Gerald's game, but it doesn't actually contain any actual spoilers (he's very clever that way!). I think you'l be safe to read them I nwhatever order you fancy as they all stand alone (apart from those that are part of a series such as The Green Mile or The Dark Tower) and he's adept at linking things without ruining it for readers who haven't made that connection yet. That's why King is the King! ;)

Some of the earlier story is set in Derry, just after the events of IT. You don't need to have read it, but it does add an extra layer if you have. I assume that's what the review was talking about? I'm trying to avoid all reviews about this one, as I just want it to unfold. :)

Hi Mugglenot

No problem, I am suffering the effects of old age myself. I know what it's like. I remember the day Kennedy was killed ,too ,but I was 5,so my memory of it isn't as good as an older person's would have been . And yes, it was such a very sad time,and still is tragic when you see what has happened to JFK's family .So many tragedies .

Awhile back, I read Ted Kennedy's book, True Compass. It was SO good . If you have any interest in learning more about the family,it was such an interesting book . I read it mainly to see how Ted was able to go through the number of terrible events that occurred in their family and keep on getting up every day and never giving up . He was such an inspirational person .

On another note, how'd you like the Grisham book ? I used to read all of his ,but I am way behind now and have many to catch up with .

I am only 50 pages into 11/22/63 and really enjoyed it so far. I think the writing is superb in this book. Unfortunately, my book at the library is ready for me and I will have to put the King book aside for a couple weeks.

The Confession, I enjoyed it and agree with the message that Grisham kinda gave in the book on the death penalty. btw, Grisham and I have the same dentist:). Grisham gives both his time and money to many events in Charlottesville. He built the nicest (5 fields) Little Leaque Baseball complex in the U.S. for the kids to use and he is actively involved.

Generally, I like most of his books.

Edited by muggle not