11/22/63 - Stephen King

bobblybear

Hi Mugglenot

Thanks for telling me about the Grisham book .I've liked all the ones I read so far too . I'll pick another one up here one of these days .

No problem with the library book,I understand that they are on more of a deadline,so they need to come first.

I've just finished 11/22/63 and loved it (even though it took me forever to read it!). I'm glad that it didn't only focus on the JFK assassination, as I thought that would limit my enjoyment of the story (not being American or alive on 1963). I thought it faltered a bit towards the end

after he had prevented the assassination. Not sure if stopping the assassination would have had such a huge impact on life in 'the future' but I guess that was somewhat explained by the Green Card Man, and the creation of a new thread each time he went back, rather than the slate being wiped clean.

I think it's a book I will need to read again maybe in a few years, as I'm sure there are probably things that I missed, given it took me nearly a month to read it. :smile2:

I'd be interested in hearing what your take is on the following once you complete the book :

1- Do you think life back in the 50's sounded simpler or more complicated ? I can see both viewpoints on this .

2- I'm a little fuzzy on the guy who Jake met at the "invisible steps" each time ,and the reasoning for the different colored cards ? Any ideas on what significance those would be ?

1. Simpler, I think. Mind you, people probably tend to have more idealistic thoughts about 'back then', especially if they weren't around to experience it. I know I certainly do. :lol: I'm sure the 50's were so much more innocent, which makes it quite appealing.

2. My understanding of the cards is that they reflected the emotional state of the world, and how it was affected by all the time-traveling. I'm not sure which color means what, though. Or maybe it was the holder of the cards and how they were bearing up with all the different 'harmonies' interfering with the world - the Yellow Card Man's card had turned black when he died, didn't it? I don't know - I don't think it was ever properly explained. :huh:

Hi Bobbly

Great job on finishing !

You had a very good answer for the different colors of the cards. That was confusing to me .

As for the times then compared to now, it made me think a lot . I was born in 58,so wasn't exactly aware of life around me that year, but many of the things mentioned in the book reminded me of times back then .

In a way times were better. I think we all felt safer .People didn't lock their houses and cars as much . You didn't hear as much about murders and serial killers as now .

Neighbors were much friendlier and everyone knew everyone else on the street .Now everyone stays to themselves.

Women for the most part were housewives ,at least in our area,very few moms worked,and there were not very many divorces .Does that mean life was better ? Maybe not,maybe people stayed in unhappy marriages because of the stigma of being divorced .

In some ways life sounds so much better back then,but things that happened back then regarding racism would never be tolerated today.

I'm kind of old fashioned,so although I love my computer, sometimes I wish our library still had the old card catalog and stores still had the old cash registers .

It also makes me sad to drive by the park where I played as a kid. It was always filled with kids,but now, you rarely see anyone there. I think the kids are all in the house playing video games or on their computers, so really are missing out on playing and using imagination .

I finally finished today - I found myself putting my ipod on whenever I could, which must have been a good sign! I've decided that audio is a great way to listen to his longer books, especially if with a good narrator. A few points...

I liked the way King dealt with the whole issue of time travel. He didn't try to set out all the rules etc, but dealt with it as you would expect in a real life situation - quite often the characters just didn't know what the rules were, or what would happen. Some readers may not like this, but for me it was the right approach.

I know very little about the Kennedy assassination, which I felt was a good way to approach the book. I get the feeling that King researched well, but of course some things would have been changed. If I knew a lot more, I wonder if I may questioned his telling of events etc. I look forward to hearing what others think of this.

I'm glad, however, that there was so much more to the story.

I enjoyed the visit to Derry, and the connection to IT, and I loved his relationship with Sadie.

There were so many parts to it, and at the end of the day I thought it was great story-telling.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was

The Yellow Card man, and some of the ending. I think King could have shown us that messing with the past causes huge problems without using the extra issue of 'guardians'. Although, it was interesting to see that repeated visits actually caused more problems, rather than the complete reset all expected.

Hi Michelle

I'm glad you finished the book and liked it so much. I see it is winning lots of awards over at GoodReads,and I think the audio version won also,so it must have been done well .

I got a little mixed up regarding the colors on the cards also. I think if I were a little better-versed in

Stephen King,maybe I could have made more sense of that part .

He did so much research on this one. I was still thinking about it the other day,trying to figure out what all items you'd have to leave OUT if you were telling a story in 1958.

So many inventions that we didn't have back then . he did great,even mentioning PayDay Candybars, which were and still are my favorites. I always got them as a kid .

Edited by julie

I finally finished today - I found myself putting my ipod on whenever I could, which must have been a good sign! I've decided that audio is a great way to listen to his longer books, especially if with a good narrator. A few points...

I liked the way King dealt with the whole issue of time travel. He didn't try to set out all the rules etc, but dealt with it as you would expect in a real life situation - quite often the characters just didn't know what the rules were, or what would happen. Some readers may not like this, but for me it was the right approach.

I know very little about the Kennedy assassination, which I felt was a good way to approach the book. I get the feeling that King researched well, but of course some things would have been changed. If I knew a lot more, I wonder if I may questioned his telling of events etc. I look forward to hearing what others think of this.

I'm glad, however, that there was so much more to the story.

I enjoyed the visit to Derry, and the connection to IT, and I loved his relationship with Sadie.

There were so many parts to it, and at the end of the day I thought it was great story-telling.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was

The Yellow Card man, and some of the ending. I think King could have shown us that messing with the past causes huge problems without using the extra issue of 'guardians'. Although, it was interesting to see that repeated visits actually caused more problems, rather than the complete reset all expected.

I just bought the book, I'd put it off for weeks now.

I like the way you've described his interpretation of time travel. Too many technical details would not only lose me, but bore me as well.

I was 13, in New Orleans when JFK was killed, and, for everyone it was a shocking and heart stopping event. I'm interested in which events you wonder about the validity. Once I've read it, of course. :)

Pontalba

We'll all be interested in your opinion when you finish. It really is a good book,so it'll be neat to see what take you have on it. I'm not much of a time-travel believer myself,but once you get past that piece of it,the rest it really quite entertaining .

Pontalba

We'll all be interested in your opinion when you finish. It really is a good book,so it'll be neat to see what take you have on it. I'm not much of a time-travel believer myself,but once you get past that piece of it,the rest it really quite entertaining .

I'm thinking I have to make it my next read. But I'm still only half way through 1Q84. I have always been fascinated by time travel. Andre Norton wrote a book, I think a series actually. Time Traders. The first one is great. The rest not so hot, for me at any rate.

From what everyone has said, 11/22/63 is not your usual Stephen King. I've read and liked some of his books, but the real horror ones I don't care for too much. Too scary! :lurker:

I'm thinking I have to make it my next read. But I'm still only half way through 1Q84. I have always been fascinated by time travel. Andre Norton wrote a book, I think a series actually. Time Traders. The first one is great. The rest not so hot, for me at any rate.

From what everyone has said, 11/22/63 is not your usual Stephen King. I've read and liked some of his books, but the real horror ones I don't care for too much. Too scary! :lurker:

I agree, I don't go much for the scarey books either. This book really doesn't have much of that type stuff at all. Maybe a little suspense,you might say,but nothing gorey or gross like that.

How about the Finney book, I think it was called Time After Time, or Something like that ? About time travel in NY back in the 1800's ? Beautiful old photos .. terrific book ..

In fact, I think that is who King was going to dedicate this book to .

of the biggest surprises, this year, is Stephen King's 11/22/63 Surprising to me, as SK has focused in on his theme, of time travel, persuing the theme of what would happen if just one thing was changed in history. How, (or not) would it affect our present world, today. The book is a huge 800 pages. But always gripping enough (mostly) for the pages to fly by. Just like time. Against this early sixties era, SK has produced a romantic novel, involving his always credible main character, Jake, and with such a haunting ending, it will be one that I remember for a long long...time.

Davo

I am totally enjoying the book so far. I am only 120 -130 pages into it, where he is in Derry. I get a creepy feeling at this stage in the book as I can't get my mind off the occurances that have happened in Derry. King has accomplished what I think he intended.

I remember well the JFK assasination and was old enought that I can still visualize everything that happened including the Jack Ruby shooting of Oswald. I will never forget as we were all glued to the TV as the events happened.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm about a third of the way through this and really enjoying it. It's really evoking America in 1958, which is odd as I am not American, have never been to America and I'm not old enough to know anything about the '50's or '60's. So far, this is King back to writing at his finest

• 3 weeks later...

Not reading any of posts for this yet but just to say I've finally got a copy and have time to read it (the joys of being ill!!!!!!!) I'm about a third of the way through now and loving it - a real classic Stephen King book so far. Given I'm not a fan of time travel stories I'm guessing that's a good sign! I already want to read IT again after the first part of this book, I've not read that for years.

I'll; be back when I've finished to read this thread properly!

OK finished it and WOW - what a story!!! That book goes very very high on the list of favourites from Stephen King (nothing can beat The Stand though!!!)

Am I the only person who thought the size was quite modest for a Stephen King book?! Lol! Really whizzed through this book - last night I had to stay up to finish it, I was so close to the end I had to find out what happened! I've already bored so many people with how great it is and my book now doing the rounds of friends!

When I remember how to do spoilers I'll add more!!!

Hi Ali

I agree, this book was fantastic . I've not read as many King books as some of the group have. He seems to have quite a fan club going in here. I'm not much for time travel type stories either ,but this one was just too irresistable ,to see what type of twist Stephen King could put on the Kennedy assassination .