The Host - Stephenie Meyer

Star

Just wondering if anyone has read The Host?

Is it worth giving it a go?

I don't normally like aliens or science-fiction & not sure if it sounds my cup of tea but they're making it into a film. Comes out 2013 I think. Which would suggest it is good. Plus the reviews seem to be good. Whether that is due to all of us Twi-hards I'm not sure :giggle2:

From Amazon ...

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

I read The Host off the back of the Twilights series and have to say I loved it as much, if not more than Twilight. The themes were more adult, in that the characters were clearly more mature, not sexy as I don't think that they way SM rolls. I'm surprised to hear they are making a film of it but I hope they make a decent job of it...

I didn't really get on with The Host - too long, too drawn out and I didn't connect with the characters.

I was sure there'd been a thread about this somewhere, and I found it in the Horror / Supernatural / Fantasy / Sci-Fi section here http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2887-the-host-by-stephenie-meyer, it's just been ages since it's been updated. I'd completely forgotten they were making a film of it - it was confirmed on Stephenie Meyer's website over two years ago! Anyway, there's a mix of reviews over in the other thread, Star, so you can see what a few people thought of it :smile2:

I read it after 'Breaking Dawn' and I could not get into it but I went back and tried again, I enjoyed it and I am looking forward to the sequel. :)

There's a sequel? :D

According to Wikipedia there is chaliepud :) ~

Potential sequels

She said in an interview that, if published, the first sequel would be entitled 'The Soul' and the second 'The Seeker'. In November 2009, she said, "I'd like to eventually have The Host be part of a trilogy." In a Q&A session in Kansas City, Meyer stated that she has outlines for the sequels, but she has not decided whether she will write them since The Host universe is a "dangerous place" where characters might die, and she is not sure if she wants to kill them off.

Edited by Weave

According to Wikipedia there is chaliepud :) ~

Potential sequels

She said in an interview that, if published, the first sequel would be entitled 'The Soul' and the second 'The Seeker'. In November 2009, she said, "I'd like to eventually have The Host be part of a trilogy." In a Q&A session in Kansas City, Meyer stated that she has outlines for the sequels, but she has not decided whether she will write them since The Host universe is a "dangerous place" where characters might die, and she is not sure if she wants to kill them off.

Thanks Weave :)

Thanks guys.

I may get round to reading this one day. I'm not sure if it's my kind of thing & seems to have mixed reviews.

I may be suprised. I didn't think I'd ever read the Twilight books after watching the films but look what happened :giggle2:

• 6 months later...

I saw that this book is being made into a movie sometime in 2013 so I was just curious if anyone had read it. I did a few years ago and I thought it was incredible. It went straight to the top of my favorite books list. Don't let the author fool you, this is no vampire/human love story. :giggle2:

• 1 month later...

I saw that this book is being made into a movie sometime in 2013 so I was just curious if anyone had read it. I did a few years ago and I thought it was incredible. It went straight to the top of my favorite books list. Don't let the author fool you, this is no vampire/human love story. :giggle2:

hey yeah I havent read this but, im going to now! came across the trailer the other day and it looks pretty kewl

• 2 weeks later...

I've read The host and I LOVED it... I liked how it was unexpected, there were twists and turns and I like reading not knowing what is about to happen.. There was suppose to be a series but don't know if she has decided not to continue with it. Does anyone know if there will be another book?

• 1 month later...

I've read The host and I LOVED it... I liked how it was unexpected, there were twists and turns and I like reading not knowing what is about to happen.. There was suppose to be a series but don't know if she has decided not to continue with it. Does anyone know if there will be another book?

I'm not sure if she is doing another one. I hope so. I also noticed that you profile picture is of the vampire academy, I'm guessing you have read the first book? Did you like it?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've finally read it and I loved every single page :P

It does start off slow and you'll be like 'what on earth is this garbage' but wait because once you reach the 100 page mark something magical happens and you will be pulled in and hard. Don't be put off just stick with it.

This in my opinion is just as good or if not better than Twilight.

I laughed and I cried. I never shed one single tear over Twilight. This really is a beautiful story. It will pull at your heart strings. Hard to believe it's the same author in certain ways.

Stephenie Meyer says this is her BEST piece of work so far so for all you people that didn't get a long with Twilight do not be put off by the author. She actually says as an author she has grown and if she could she would go back and re-write twilight. This is sci-fi without being sci-fi, so again don't be put off if sci-fi isn't your thing (it certainly isn't my cup of tea). I nearly didn't bother reading this. I didn't think it sounded very good.

It makes you question what you would do if you was in that situation.

to kill or not to kill. Believe the alien or not.

It really is a beautiful book and is now one of my all time favourites!!!!!! :D

Before reading this I didn't know if I loved stephenie Meyer as an author or just the story of Twilight however I can now safely say I love her as an author.

I felt like I was there. I could visualise everything clearly and I fell in love with the characters and was laughing over many things. Some great humour is used.

Please if you haven't already read this DO IT!!!!!!

I cannot wait for the film to see how they have done it although I don't think it will come close to the book.

Edited by Star

The official trailer has just been released now & it looks epic!!!!

Also it's probs worth mentioning she has confirmed it will be a series and she is working on the second book as I type. She did an interview in America and confirmed it. You heard it here!!!

Edited by Star