Abcinthia's reading list (2011)

Abcinthia

There isn't much of 2011 left but I figured it would be nice to have a reading list for it anyway :biggrin: Here's what I've read so far:

1. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

3. The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson

4. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson

5. The Stand - Stephen King

6. Elizabeth The Queen - Alison Weir

7. The Bachman Books - Stephen King

8. Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir

9. It - Stephen King

10. The Host - Stephenie Meyer

11. To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

12. Cell - Stephen King

13. The Dreams In The Witch House and Other Stories - HP Lovecraft

14. You Are Next - Katia Lief

15. The Gods Of The Greeks - Karl Kerényi

16. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

17. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

18. She - H. Rider Haggard

19. Gave Sight - Charlaine Harris

20. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

21. The Trial - Franz Kafka (Unfinished)

22. Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris

23. An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris

24. Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris

25. 'Salem's Lot - Stephen King

26. Tales From The Tower Of London - Daniel Diehl and Mark P. Donnelly

27. The Man In The Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas

28. Breathless - Dean Koontz

29. Mary Tudor: England's First Queen - Anna Whitelock

30. The Count Of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

31. The Almost Moon - Alice Sebold

32. Murder Of The Romanovs - Andrew Cook

33. Blaze - Stephen King

34. She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of England - Elizabeth Norton

35. Under The Dome - Stephen King

36. Les Liaisons Dangeruses - Choderlos de Laclos

37. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer

38. The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

39. Needful Things- Stephen King

40. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

41. A Study In Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle

42. The Tommyknockers - Stephen King

43. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

44. Different Seasons - Stephen King

45. Catherine Of Aragon: Henry's Spanish Queen - Giles Tremlett

46. Jamaica Inn - Daphne Du Maurier

47. The Shining - Stephen King

48. The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall - Anne Brontë

49. The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger

50. Gone With The Wind - Margarent Mitchell

51. Cujo - Stephen King

52. Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII - David Starkey

53. The Green Mile - Stephen King

54. Marked - P. C. Cast

55. Betrayed- P. C. Cast

56. Chosen - P. C. Cast

57. The Hound Of The Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle

58. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

59. Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë

60. The Romance Of Tristan - Béroul

61. The Princesse De Cléves - Marie-Madeleine De Lafayette

62. Untamed - P. C. Cast

63. Manon Lescaut - Abbé Prévost

64. Hunted - P. C. Cast

65. Tempted - P. C. Cast

66. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

67. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

68. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - Jules Verne

69. Memoirs Of A Geisha - Arthur Golden

70. Emma - Jane Austen

71. The Sweet Forever - George Pelecanos

72. Karl Marx - Francis Wheen

73. The Feast Of All Saints - Anne Rice

74. Villette - Charlotte Brontë

75. Rose Madder - Stephen King

76. The Unpredictable Queen - E. E. P. Tisdall

77. Deception Point - Dan Brown

78. The Greek Myths - Robert Graves

79. Sons and Lovers - D. H. Lawrence

80. Last Of The Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper

81. The Red Room - Nicci French

82. A Handful Of Dust - Evelyn Waugh

83. 1984 - George Orwell

84. Queen Of This Realm - Jean Plaidy

85. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

86. The Rendezvous And Other Stories - Daphne Du Maurier

87. Shirley - Charlotte Brontë

88. The Ghosts Of Sleath - James Herbert

89. Sylvia - Bryce Courtenay

90. Chocolat - Joanne Harris

91. The Dead Women of Juárez - Sam Hawken

92. Still Life - Joe Donnelly

93. Brother Grimm - Craig Russell

94. Frenchman's Creek - Daphne Du Maurier

95. Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

96. Just Before Sunset - Stephen King

97. The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

98. The Grave Tattoo - Val McDermid

99. Past Mortem - Ben Elton

100. The Russian Concubine - Kate Furnivall

101. Memoirs Of A Woman Of Pleasure: Fanny Hill - John Cleland

102. The Glass-Blowers - Daphne Du Maurier

103. Spiral - Paul McEuen

104. Dead In The Family - Charlaine Harris

105. Deeper Than The Dead - Tami Hoag

106. The Book Of Human Skin - Michelle Lovric (Unfinished)

107. The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher: Or The Murder At Road Hill House - Kate Summerscale

108. Autumn - David Moody

Edited by Abcinthia

er..impressed!

Thank you. I didn't expect to read so many as I've had quite a busy year (especially over the summer months). My target for 2011 was 70 books which I thought would be difficult to reach. Now I think I'm going to try to reach 100.

Wow, that's a lotta books! Quick question, how did you find The Host and Last of the Mohicans? :)

I thought The Host was ok overall. The premise was very interesting as were some parts of the plot but I felt like something was lacking that let it down. At times the characters really frustrated me because I thought they were wooden or the internal dialougue would go on forever about the same issues (which really was not that interesting). Also sometimes it really felt like certain parts of the story were being dragged out longer than they should be.

Last Of The Mohicans I really really struggled with. My partner had attempted to read it before and told me it was a hard read but despite that, I did not expect struggle with it as much as I did. The action scenes were very interesting but they were done no favours by the author's heavy writing style. I really did not get any pleasure out of reading it and only finished it because I hate leaving books unfinished (I always hope they will get better towards the end).

Nice list read a few of these myself whats been your favourite? :readingtwo:

There have been quite a few I've enjoyed reading. My top five would be:

1. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

2. Les Liaisons Dangeruses - Choderlos de Laclos

3. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

4. Under The Dome - Stephen King

5. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Very impressive list :)

What did you think of The Almost Moon? I personally really didn't like it but I've always wondered if maybe that's because I set my expectations too high after reading 'The Lovely Bones'.

I really disliked The Almost Moon. I always try to find at least something redeeming about a book I've read but I struggled to find anything even remotely good about The Almost Moon. I disliked the plot, the characters and the writing style. I was really disapointed because I enjoyed The Lovely Bones loads.

I finished book 89 last night:

Sylvia - Bryce Courtenay

Synopsis (from goodreads): Sylvia is the story of the Children's Crusade - 1212 - possibly the strangest event to take place in European history. It is the story of the power of a young girl's love in the midst of medirabbed the neval darkness to fight brutality and bigotry.

Thoughts: From the blurb on the back of the book I was expecting to read a story about the Children's Crusade. However, over 2/3rds of the book is about Sylvia's life and events building up to the Crusade. In general the book was not really what I was expecting. It started off ok, improved when the character of Reinhardt the ratcatcher was introduced, then lost steam about half way through and never recovered.

The book was horribly repetitive, the same events happening everytime Sylvia goes to a new place, meets anyone new or gets in trouble. I really got frustrated towards the end and just wanted something different to happen.

The book was a very easy read. It was 498 pages long but written in an easy to read style. The narrative is 1st person and mixes olden words/phrases (eg thy, verily) with modern day phrases and words.

Random Quote: She grabbed the neck of my garment from both sides and jerked it down to expose my shoulder-blades and so also the birthmark of the fish.

Favourite character: Reinhardt the ratcatcher.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Abcinthia

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

Synopsis (from Amazon): "I hear our M'sieur le Curé already has it in for you ... Does he know you're a witch?"

Lansquenet-sous-Tannes--"a blip on the fast road between Toulouse and Bourdeaux"--and new home to Vianne Rocher, her six-year-old daughter Anouk, and Anouk's "imaginary" rabbit, Pantoufle. They arrive "on the wind of the carnival", and, a couple of days later, Vianne opens a luxuriant chocolate shop. "La Céleste Praline" bubbles over with the most tempting of confections, topped with an irresistible selection of rich, smooth chocolate drinks. It's Lent, the shop is opposite the church (which Vianne and Anouk don't attend) it's open on Sundays and Francis Reynaud, the austere parish priest with the "measuring, feline look" is not exactly happy.

As one by one the villagers sidle into the shop to sample Vianne's concoctions, we learn of their characters and secrets, their loves Myand desires, their troubles and hopes. Sad, polite Guillame and his dying dog. Shoplifting, beaten Joséphine Muscat. And Armande Voizin, still vigorous and perceptive in her 80s, who can see Pantoufle, and recognises Vianne for who she really is.

But Reynaud has his power base. And when Vianne advertises a Grand Festival of Chocolate to start on Easter Sunday, it's all-out war. War between church and chocolate..

Thoughts: This book was very enjoyable, especially with the characters and humour. The character of Vianne was well thought out and although some of her life before Lansquenet is told through Vianne's thoughts and flashbacks, it still hints of mystery and allure. The people who lived in the village were really realistic to me, as were their problems. My favourite character was Armande Voizin who supplied a lot of the humour in the book. I loved her insightful comments and her comments to others.

The chapters were narrated by either Vianne or by her enemy Father Reynaud. It was nice to get the different perspectives about events that had happened or were going to happen. However, I felt at times that Father Reynaud's conversations, to the Father in a coma, were slightly repetitive.

Random Quote: "I don't think the cities have the franchise on enjoyment," I snapped. "Everyone needs a little luxury, a little self-indulgence from time to time."

Favourite character: Armande Voizin

Rating: 4/5

The Dead Women of Jurárez - Sam Hawken

Synopsis (from goodreads): In the last twenty years, over 3000 women have disappeared from Ciudad Juarez, on the border between Mexico and the USA. Sam Hawken takes this story of mass murder and abduction and weaves around it the story of Kelly Courter, a washed up boxer from Texas, who is past playing the stooge in the ring, as long as he gets paid.

Thoughts: It wasn't a bad crime story but it was predictable at times. The characters are engaging and I really felt for the families of the women who have gone missing or found dead. Those scenes were beautifully written and the fact it is based on facts (women really are going missing or are found dead at an alarming rate) makes it more heartbreaking.

Random Quote: The visible strain of hard work and sorrow would turn her into an artifact like the others, a monument to loss and pain.

Favourite Character: Paloma

Rating: 3/5

Still Life - Joe Donnelly

Synopsis (from goodreads and edited to remove a lot of spoilers from the second half of the book!): Paralyzed from the waist down during a shoot-out, Caitlin Brook has moved back to her childhood village overlooking the Fasach Wood. Visited by Martin Thornton, a reporter who witnessed the shooting and ran to protect her, Caitlin initially believes that he is interested only in her ''story,'' but soon a romance develops. Then Caitlin's wheelchair is pushed into the river by a strange beast and she nearly drowns.

Rescued by Sheila Garvie, a charismatic local healer, Caitlin soon sees that more than her spirits are being restored. Wanderers into the Fasach Wood are treated to revoltingly painful deaths at the hands (limbs) of trees.

Thoughts: This was one of the best horror books I have ever read. The plot is scary (trees and plants in a forest that kill people!) but it's made even more frightening by just how well Donnelly describes what is happening - whether it's the mundane life of the towns people or the last moments of a poor person who went into the forest. The characters are well thought out, believable and I really felt for many of them.

Random Quote: He turned in a circle and it was as if the world spun. Everywhere he looked there were tree trunks. They marched on and on, old and hoary and solid.

And silent.

Favourite Character: Too many to pick just one.

Rating: 5/5

Brother Grimm - Craig Russell

Synopsis (from goodreads): A girl's body lies, posed, on the pale sand of a Hamburg beach, a message concealed in her hand. 'I have been underground, and now it is time for me to return home...'

Jan Fabel, of the Hamburg Murder Squad, struggles to interpret the twisted imagery of a dark and brutal mind. Four days later, a man and a woman are found deep in woodland, their throats slashed deep and wide, the names 'Hansel' and 'Gretel', in the same tiny, obsessively neat writing, rolled tight and pressed into their hands.

As it becomes clear that each new cime is a grisly reference to folk stories collected almost two hundred years ago by the Brothers Grimm, the hunt is on for a serial killer who is exploring our darkest, most fundamental fears. A predator who kills and then disappears into the shadows.

A monster we all learned to fear in childhood.

Thoughts: It was a good crime novel. The plot was well thought out, well written and really gripping. The idea of turning the original sinister Brother Grimm tales and making them the inspiration for a madman's murderous fantasies was a stroke of brilliance. Russell also delivered a huge shock at the end of the book. All along I thought I was able to pick out who the murderer was but the twist at the end was unexpected.

What I disliked was that a lot of emphasis was placed on one character's involvement in the murder because of the metal bands he liked and that the clothes he wore included *gasp* band t-shirts and black!!!! I thought it was so clichéd that he must be a bad guy because of his choice of clothing and music. Especially with the juxtaposition of the good cop listening to classical music and making a big point of mentioning it.

Random Quote: We do not simply progress from history to legend to myth - we invent, we elaborate, we fabricate. The myth and the fable become the enduring truth.

Favourite Character: I liked Anna. She was one of the police officers and I really thought she was funny and interesting.

Frenchman's Creek - Daphne Du Maurier

Synopsis (from goodreads): Daphne du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek is the scandalous tale of one woman's will to seize adventure by the horns and become the fugitive of her own fate. Jaded by frivolous Restoration London and the numbing civility of its hollow members, Lady Dona St. Columb revolts against polite society. She rides into the countryside, guided only by her restlessness and the indomitable longing for escape.

But when chance leads her to meet a French pirate hidden within Cornwall's shadowy forests, Dona discovers that her passions and thirst for adventure have never been more aroused. Together, they embark upon a quest rife with death and glory, and one which bestows upon Dona the ultimate choice: sacrifice her lover to certain destruction or gamble away her own to save him.

Thoughts: I adored this book. I am a great fan of du Maurier and this novel did not disappoint. It is a beautifully written with a great plot to match: I felt disapointed that my past 24 hours have been so busy and I wasn't able to sit down and read the book in one go.

Random Quote: All whispers and echoes from a past that is gone teem into the sleeper's brain, and he is with them, and part of them.

Favourite Character: It has to be Lady Dona St. Columb

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Abcinthia

I have read two du Maurier books recently (The Flight of the Falcon and Julius), and enjoyed them so much I'm sure I will read another soon - it's just hard to choose which I will read next! Frenchman's Creek is definitely on my shortlist :)

I have read two du Maurier books recently (The Flight of the Falcon and Julius), and enjoyed them so much I'm sure I will read another soon - it's just hard to choose which I will read next! Frenchman's Creek is definitely on my shortlist :)

ooo I haven't read either of those yet. I really want to read My Cousin Rachel. I thought the blurb was really interesting but someone has taken it out of the library so I'll have to wait to read it (unless I buy it first which I might do!)

Wonderful and varied list Abcinthia!

Your reviews have peaked my interest in Chocolat and Still Life, and yes, Brother Grimm as well. :readingtwo:

I'd wondered about Chocolat, but couldn't make up my mind, you have. Thanks! :)

Wonderful and varied list Abcinthia!

Your reviews have peaked my interest in Chocolat and Still Life, and yes, Brother Grimm as well. :readingtwo:

I'd wondered about Chocolat, but couldn't make up my mind, you have. Thanks! :)

I'm glad I helped! I've wondered about Chocolat before and only picked it up because it was on the return shelf at my library.

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Synopsis (from goodreads): In this extraordinary thriller, rich in the atmospheres of medieval and contemporary France, the lives of two women born centuries apart are linked by a common destiny.

July 2005. In the Pyrenees mountains near Carcassonne, Alice, a volunteer at an archaeological dig stumbles into a cave and makes a startling discovery-two crumbling skeletons, strange writings on the walls, and the pattern of a labyrinth; between the skeletons, a stone ring, and a small leather bag.

Eight hundred years earlier, on the eve of a brutal crusade to stamp out heresy that will rip apart southern France, Alais is given a ring and a mysterious book for safekeeping by her father as he leaves to fight the crusaders. The book, he says, contains the secret of the true Grail, and the ring, inscribed with a labyrinth, will identify a guardian of the Grail. As crusading armies led by Church potentates and nobles of northern France gather outside the city walls of Carcassonne, it will take great sacrifice to keep the secret of the labyrinth safe.

In the present, another woman sees the find as a means to the political power she craves; while a man who has great power will kill to destroy all traces of the discovery and everyone who stands in his

Thoughts: I must confess I only picked up this book because I have heard so many people tell me it is awful or the worst book they have ever read. It made me really curious to read this book that so many people dislike. I found it wasn't as bad as I had been told, but it was still a tedious read. What annoyed me the most was the writing style. The split narrative, that works so well in other books, really added nothing to this book. I found it really annoying and boring to read the 13th century parts and must admit, I disliked nearly all the characters from that bit. I think if Alice discovered the skeletons in the cave, then slowly pieced together what happened 800years ago, whilst escaping from all the dangerous people, it would have made a better novel.

Random Quote: For a moment everything is silent.

Then the darkness melts. Alice is no longer in the cave.

Favourite Character: Probably Alice Tanner

Edited by Abcinthia

The Dead Women of Jurárez - Sam Hawken

Thoughts: It wasn't a bad crime story but it was predictable at times. The characters are engaging and I really felt for the families of the women who have gone missing or found dead. Those scenes were beautifully written and the fact it is based on facts (women really are going missing or are found dead at an alarming rate) makes it more heartbreaking.Rating: 3/5

I meant to remark on this one as well Abcinthia.

Have you read 2666 by Bolano? It covers the killings, in a different manner, and they are only part of it. I gave up on it after 500 pages.

The Dead Women of Juarez sounds as though it gives the respect to the dead that they deserve. 2666 did not as far as I was concerned.

I meant to remark on this one as well Abcinthia.

Have you read 2666 by Bolano? It covers the killings, in a different manner, and they are only part of it. I gave up on it after 500 pages.

The Dead Women of Juarez sounds as though it gives the respect to the dead that they deserve. 2666 did not as far as I was concerned.

No I haven't read 2666.

I thought the deaths and the families grief were handled well in The Dead Women of Juarez. It came across that the author really cared and wanted to have an ending where the people responsible, even if they were only responsible for a small percentage of the disappearences, were brought to justice.

I finished Just Before Sunset by Stephen King this evening. I'm a bit tired, don't have the book to hand and got an early start tomorrow so I'll just say it's a collection of 13 short stories. My favourites were The Gingerbread Girl, Graduation Day, N., The Cat From Hell and A Very Tight Place.

The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

Synopsis (from goodreads): Alison Weir was already one of Britain's most popular historians when she wrote her first novel, "Innocent Traitor", which hit the "Sunday Times" bestseller list to a chorus of praise. Now, in her second novel, Alison Weir goes to the heart of Tudor England at its most dangerous and faction-riven in telling the story of Elizabeth I before she became queen. The towering capricious figure of Henry VIII dominates her childhood, but others play powerful roles: Mary, first a loving sister, then as queen a lethal threat; Edward, the rigid and sad little King; Thomas Seymour, the Lord High Admiral, whose ambitions, both political and sexual, are unbridled. And, an ever-present ghost, the enigmatic, seductive figure of her mother Anne Boleyn, executed by Henry, whose story Elizabeth must unravel. Elizabeth learns early that the adult world contains many threats that have to be negotiated if she is to keep her heart and her head.

Thoughts: I did really enjoy this novel which charts Elizabeth's life up until the death of Mary I. I am a massive fan of the Tudor period and so I find I am always hypercritical of fictional books set then. I liked that Weir decided to go a different route when portraying Elizabeth and imagining that the gossip really was true. As she has written non-fiction book about this period, it was very well researched and her attention to detail was excellent. On the downside, I did find the book heavy reading at times due to the writing style. It might just be the leap from non-fiction to fiction and I've read reviews on other websites that said this book is an improvement writing-wise since her first novel (which I haven't yet read but it is on my wishlist!) so I can only hope Weir improves with her next novel because I think she could be great.

Random Quote: Elizabeth spent the next few days excitedly anticipating her return to court. She looked forward to the feasts, the revels, the chance to wear her fine clothes, and to the lords and ladies praising and complimenting her.

Favourite Character: Elizabeth!

The Grave Tattoo - Val McDermid

Synopsis (from goodreads): A corpse is discovered on a hill in the Lake District, adorned with bizarre tattoos. Wordsworth expert Jane Gresham finds herself distracted from her studies of the great Lakeland poet when another mystery surfaces, involving the Pitcairn Massacre and the events of the mutiny on the Bounty. Is it possible that Fletcher Christian, who led the rebellion against Captain Bligh, faked his own death and clandestinely returned to England? Jane makes a connection between the tattooed body and the tattoos on sailors who served in the South Seas--is this the body of Fletcher Christian? And Jane has another problem on her hands--a young girl who she has tried to help finds herself a murder suspect, and tracks her down to the Lakes. And as Jane closes in on a Wordsworth manuscript that may be a direct transcription of Fletcher Christian's confession, she finds herself with someone else on her trail--an ex-lover with similar designs on the precious document.

Thoughts: I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy this book. It's well written. The plot is interesting. The majority of characters were well thought out; a few felt flat but there were many characters and it can be hard to make them all interesting. The novel just didn't work for me for some reason, despite all it's good qualities, I had to myself to finish it.

Favourite Character: Jane Gresham

Rating: 2/5 and those are only for how well it was written and that the plot was interesting. If I was rating on how much I enjoyed it, I'd give it 1/5.

Finished my 100th book of 2011.

The Russian Concubine - Kate Furnivall

Synopsis (from goodreads): A sweeping novel set in war-torn 1928 China, with a star-crossed love story at its center.

In a city full of thieves and Communists, danger and death, spirited young Lydia Ivanova has lived a hard life. Always looking over her shoulder, the sixteen-year-old must steal to feed herself and her mother, Valentina, who numbered among the Russian elite until Bolsheviks murdered most of them, including her husband. As exiles, Lydia and Valentina have learned to survive in a foreign land.

Often, Lydia steals away to meet with the handsome young freedom fighter Chang An Lo. But they face danger: Chiang Kai Shek's troops are headed toward Junchow to kill Reds like Chang, who has in his possession the jewels of a tsarina, meant as a gift for the despot's wife. The young pair's all-consuming love can only bring shame and peril upon them, from both sides. Those in power will do anything to quell it. But Lydia and Chang are powerless to end it.

Thoughts: I felt this book started off weak and slow, improved a bit towards the end but was ruined by quite a rushed ending. There were so many storylines and characters, who all know each other in some way, that it was a bit difficult to keep up at times. It's more of a romance novel (and even then the romance story we've read a million times before) than a historical novel which I think is a pity as the historical parts were more interesting to read. It's certainly interested me in finding out more about China in the 1920s. Overall, I'd just call the story ok. It was somewhat enjoyable to read but is not memorable and I would probably never think to read it again.

Random Quote: It stopped him cold. He felt the blood drain from his face. With an efforthe replaced the scotch on the table.

Favourite Character: Lydia.