David Eddings & Raymond Feist

kitty_kitty

I have recently got into fantasy and i have been told to read his books as well as Raymond Feist.

I have got hold of these David Eddings bookd really cheap off ebay:

Polgara the sorceress

All the Elenium books and all the Tamuli books

Do these books have to be read in specific order of series?

If so i will have to get the others off ebay or from charity shops

What do people think of Raymond Feist too

I don't know for sure but I thought the first 5 David Eddings books were the Belgariad series, starting with Pawn of Prophecy. I can't remember teh names of the other 4 but they're chess related I think. I've read the first 2 and have the others, and would recommend them. He's got a great, readable style of writing and his stories aren't just 'Another' fantasy book, if you know what I mean.

A

• 1 month later...

David Eddings is good fun, but probably better for teenage readers. His style can be a bit naive at times. You should be able to get the listing for the book order on the first few pages of any of his novels. They do run in order, but the ones you have aren't connected to the earlier series.

Raymond Feist is similar. Start with Magician then go for Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. I just finished reading Faerie Tale again the other week, I'd forgotten how good it was.

• 3 months later...
I have recently got into fantasy and i have been told to read his books as well as Raymond Feist.

Polgara the sorceress

If so i will have to get the others off ebay or from charity shops

I read the Elenium first (I got the first one in an airport in Bangkok, as it was one of the only 2 English language titles available), and then the Tamuli.

As for the other series, I read "Belgarath the Sorcerer" first, then started on the Belgariad, then the Mallorean, then "Polgara" last.

I love David Eddings. I'm not a big fan of the collaborations

he did with his wife and with other authors, but he remains one of my favourite fantasy writers.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

first of all: RIP David Eddings.

I have only read The Malloreon series and it was more so because I ran out of books and when out on a whim i'd previously never heard of at that time. I can happily say that I followed on from the first book, looking forward to the rest of the series.

I would at least recommend trying this series of his books if no other because I believe they are most definitely worth reading.

• 2 years later...

Many years ago, a friend of the family lent my wife a book. Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings. When she had finished it she suggested I have a go and hence started my journey into fantasy novels.

We both read the Belgariad.

While working in London, I went into a bookshop, near Fenchurch Street Station, and found a book called Magician by Raymond E Feist and a read that I could not put down. I have read every book he has released and feel that he is probably the best fantasy writer.

I read Faerie Tale, which scared the wits out of me, giving me nightmares. I will never read it again.

I have recently got into fantasy and I have been told to read his books as well as Raymond Feist.

Polgara the sorceress

If so I will have to get the others off ebay or from charity shops

I think with Eddings, it's best to read the Belgariad series first. Then the Mallorean. I've also read the Elenium series, but not the Tamuli or any of his others. The only Feist book I have read is Faerie Tale, which I think is a stand-alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Clive there, the Series should be enjoyed from start to finish. I haven't read any of the Feist work though. I will do soon though.

I'm not sure that I agree with Eddings work being naive though? Easy to read and sometimes might gloss over some detail that isn't really required all of the time.

This thread set me thinking I would really like to reread The Belgariad, on going to the library this week making up my mind to get out Pawn of Prophecy, they didn't have it :(

Oh no thats a shame, I have the complete set somewhere on my shelves I must look it out at some point, I loved these when I was a kid.

Oh no thats a shame, I have the complete set somewhere on my shelves I must look it out at some point, I loved these when I was a kid.

Ditto, I kept The Belgariad and The Mallorean. They introduced me to the fantasy genre. I can still remember the loooong wait between the publication of each book :irked::lol:

Ditto, I kept The Belgariad and The Mallorean. They introduced me to the fantasy genre. I can still remember the loooong wait between the publication of each book :irked::lol:

Yeah me too hence I have some of the Mallorean in a larger size paperback you remember when there used to be 3 sizes of issue, hardback, bigger paperback then normal paperback. :D I was so desperate to get them though. I also have some of his others in hardback Belgarath the Sorcerer and the Polgara one but my dad got me those.

Yeah me too hence I have some of the Mallorean in a larger size paperback you remember when there used to be 3 sizes of issue, hardback, bigger paperback then normal paperback. :D I was so desperate to get them though. I also have some of his others in hardback Belgarath the Sorcerer and the Polgara one but my dad got me those.

Mine are all the same size. I must've waited even longer :lol:

I didn't bother with the Belgarath/Polgara books. Or rather, I started reading the Belgarath one but wasn't enjoying it. Maybe I'll re-read the whole thing (again) one day, although I'm worried it's maybe too young for me now, and it would spoil my memories of it.

• 1 month later...

I just started reading Raymond E. Feist! I didn't like his Magician novel, I'd read it several years ago but a sale prompted me to buy almost every book he has written in one shot. I've read Prince of the Blood (First book of the Krondor's Sons series) and loved it. I'm currently reading Talon of the Silver Hawk which seems to be pretty nice as well. I think I just needed to grow up a little to see how fresh his prose is. It's easy to dive into a book without knowing the thousand years' worth of backstory.

I find that in common with Eddings and Feist. Even David Eddings didn't take too long to let his characters become memorable. I guess that's a writerly gift all of us have to aspire to achieve.

I also loved Faerie Tale by Raymond E Fiest. My first taste though was Talon of the Silver Hawk because a friend recommended it to me, I loved it and read the others in the series. I felt though he lost his way during it, and I just found it lacked something. I loved the Magician series and Prince of the Blood. As for Eddings, I have only read The Redemption of Althalus again, I loved this book and have been meaning to read more of his work.

I also loved Faerie Tale by Raymond E Fiest. My first taste though was Talon of the Silver Hawk because a friend recommended it to me, I loved it and read the others in the series. I felt though he lost his way during it, and I just found it lacked something. I loved the Magician series and Prince of the Blood. As for Eddings, I have only read The Redemption of Althalus again, I loved this book and have been meaning to read more of his work.

You must read Eddings's Belgariad, then! The series is endearing, just as the characters themselves are. They are some of the most memorable characters in fiction that I have come across, people I can never forget. It must have been one of the earliest fantasy books I read after discovering Tolkien. He doesn't seem to copy Tolkien much, thankfully. He's fresh and I hear his wife helped him write a lot of the books, so that's a nice thing to know as well.

I enjoyed The Prince of the Blood and Talon of the Silver Hawk too. I'm currently reading The King's Buccaneer and will visit The Conclave of Shadows once more later. (Alternating between trilogies is exciting!)

• 6 months later...

I bought all of the Belgariad and Mallorean in one go from eBay (good offer) without having read any Eddings :blush2: The reviews have all been so good I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I think it is the fantasy series I will start after finishing Mistborn.