Find the shortest poem :)

Don't have anything shorter but there's a few really good short poems (as well as frustratingly long ones), that I'm studying on my poetry module at the minute:

In a Station of the Metro

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;

Petals on a wet, black bough.

- Ezra Pound, 1919.

Oread

Whirl up, Sea -

Whirl your pointed pines,

Splash your great pines

On our rocks;

Hurl your green over us,

Cover us with pools of fir.

- H.D., 1920.

The Red Wheelbarrow

so much depends

upon

a red wheel

barrow

glazed with rain

water

beside the white

chickens.

- William Carlos Williams, 1923.

I love all three of these to be honest; sometimes short poetry can inspire or resonate just as much, or even more so, than epics.

I never saw a purple cow

I never hope to see one

But I can tell you anyhow

I'd rather see than be one .

**Sorry ,I don't know any other poetry and this is as poetic as it gets here in Hillbilly Village . :D

I never saw a purple cow

I never hope to see one

But I can tell you anyhow

I'd rather see than be one .

**Sorry ,I don't know any other poetry and this is as poetic as it gets here in Hillbilly Village . :D

I know it's not poetic at all but you reminded me of this commercial XD

The shortest couplet that forms a poem is perhaps "Lines on the Antiquity of Microbes" by Strickland Gillilan, and it goes like this:

Adam/Had 'em.

Damn! You beat me to it. I actually posted it earlier today but deleted the post because I was on my iPad and couldn't get the formatting to work. I never knew the name or author though. It was just something my Dad was fond of reciting. :)

Loved your purple cow commercial !!!

Very cute ~~

Can you tell me what they are saying in it ? The only part I got was that it must be a milk commercial ??

Basically it's the story of a purple cow which has the gift of making people tender :)

it's a milk chocolate commercial :)

I think I'll win with this one. I remember reading it in a newspaper tribute to Spike Milligan when he died. He wrote a one-word poem which really stuck with me:

A Poem for Lonely People

Hello.

I think Spike Milligan just meant it as making a point more than anything else. It was included with a bunch of his other humorous poems and this one was a sharp contrast because it drew attention to something more serious - the fact that sometimes just saying "hello" to someone who feels lonely can break through the loneliness for a moment and make a difference. I know Mr Miilgan suffered depression for much of his life and I wonder if he was a very lonely person too.

Anyway, to me, poetry is something that should strike a chord and this one certainly affected me.

I think Spike Milligan just meant it as making a point more than anything else. It was included with a bunch of his other humorous poems and this one was a sharp contrast because it drew attention to something more serious - the fact that sometimes just saying "hello" to someone who feels lonely can break through the loneliness for a moment and make a difference. I know Mr Miilgan suffered depression for much of his life and I wonder if he was a very lonely person too.

Anyway, to me, poetry is something that should strike a chord and this one certainly affected me.

Well said.

I thought the poem was charming and thought provoking. Not to mention clever!

Edited by frankie

I giggled at the poem for lonely people. Boyfriend also giggled, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't enjoy poetrye. Could probably be analysed, if someone tried. Reminds me of an interview Douglas Adams gave to some sort of (atheist?) magazine. At the end of it, they asked if there was something he wanted to say to his fans. And he responded with, "Hello. How are you?"

Sigh. Oh, Douglas. Why'd you leave us. :(

• 8 months later...

Shortest Poem..

The Readign Mother

I had a Mother who read me things

That wholesome life to a child's heart brings –

Stories that stir with an upward touch.

Oh that every Mother were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be.

I had a Mother who read to me.

I think I'll win with this one. I remember reading it in a newspaper tribute to Spike Milligan when he died. He wrote a one-word poem which really stuck with me:

A Poem for Lonely People

Hello.

Brilliant !

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't think of anything shorter than Adam/had'em so think the person who said it wins the competition.

The Spike Milligan one word of Hello is hardly a poem, however affecting some people might think it.In fact Adam/had'em is more of a limerick than a poem, but hey-ho.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are my three favorite Ogden Nash poems, they also happen to be some of his shortest...how did I do?

Fleas

Adam

Had'em

-Ogden Nash

Reflections On Ice-Breaking

Candy

Is Dandy

But liquor

Is quicker.

-Ogden Nash

The Cow

The cow is of the bovine ilk;