I love a good serial killer :)

runner

The best crime I have ever read has always involved a serial killer...what is it about these sadistic murderers that so attracts us...I suppose the thought that there is someone who can kill..butcher..or maim without the least thought is both somewhat frightening and yet compulsive reading. Two books I have recently read and would heartily recommend are American Devil by Oliver Stark and The Night Stalker by Chris Carter....both involve extreme serial killing!! and will keep you on the edge of your seat until the final chapter...so let's here it for the humble serial killer...long may you keep killing....well maybe not but you get my drift :))

I am at present reading The Cutting by James Hayman and here are the ideal and oft repeated serial killer,s mode of operation. Opening scene beautiful girl out running ( we all know what is going to happen...)...meets young man out running....he's a serial killer and it's goodbye to young girl out running. You may say why read if you know what is going to happen...I still love the anticipation knowing that our heroine is about to be slaughtered in typical serial killing style..cut slash removal of heart.... Now our hero Michael McCabe is soon on the scene..he has a young daughter of 13...will she be kidnapped and rescued from the jaws of death...or will it be McCabe's lovely partner Maggie....will she be kidnapped and rescued from the jaws of death. Serial Killer books do tend to follow a set formula but I still find them great fun and great reading...so long may the humble serial killer keep his day job alive :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a departure from the norm that I really liked was Indian Killer by Sherman Alexie I know you can't necessarily believe what you read on the wiki but I had to chuckle at them having the line from Sherman Alexie "it's a feel good book about interracial murder" !!!!!!

I really enjoyed it but it was quite frustrating at the same time!

• 3 months later...

I've heard so much about Devil in the White City but have never read it. It's one of those books where everyone who has read it tries to tell everyone else who hasn't read it how good it is, but their constant recommendations have the opposite affect. Again, I guess it should go back on the "to-read" list.

I have really enjoyed the Joe Plantagenet Murder Mysteries series by Kate Ellis. The three books so far have been about serial killers in York (although it's not called York in the books). They also have a historical/supernatural element to them. They are quite a light read (as serial killings go) , so not for those that want lots of dark psychological tension.

Edited by momo

• 2 weeks later...

American Psycho is one of the most horrific books I have ever read...the dialect and matter of fact way the killer tells his story is both totally absorbing and deeply upsetting. I read this book when it first appeared and had to destroy for fear of my younger daughter finding and wondering what sort of depraved person her dad was :smile: ....but I thought about this book for a long time and some day if I am brave enough I will reread.....

• 2 weeks later...

I often think there is something wrong with me that I enjoy reading novels about serial killers! I too read and absolutely loved American Devil, I really didn't want it to finish and once ended wanted to re read all over again! I am currently reading Oliver Starks 2nd novel 88 Killer, which too is good, but I preferred his debut. I have ordered The Night Stalker, due to your recommendation Runner, can't wait to give that one a go! American Psycho is on the bookshelf waiting to be read still! :smile:

• 2 months later...

there was a time I was kind od obssessed with serial killers. Not really into theuir crimes but their minds. What kind of man (monster) do you have to be to commit such crimes. I read not only fiction but also biographies and other works on real killers.

One of my favourites is Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell.

• 2 weeks later...

I often think there is something wrong with me that I enjoy reading novels about serial killers! I too read and absolutely loved American Devil, I really didn't want it to finish and once ended wanted to re read all over again! I am currently reading Oliver Starks 2nd novel 88 Killer, which too is good, but I preferred his debut. I have ordered The Night Stalker, due to your recommendation Runner, can't wait to give that one a go! American Psycho is on the bookshelf waiting to be read still! :smile:

I loved Ameican Psycho but thought the followup 88 killer was awful....

Awful as in very poor story...found it really boring..just about managed to finish...and in contrast like you said American Psycho was unputdownable. I actually won 88 killer in a competition organised by the author and have a signed copy....I wish he had signed American Psycho :)