Victorian fiction

Hi there

Wow Victorian fiction is such a big genre. I love Victorian fiction but mostly of the mystery type such as Sherlock Holmes, Rider Haggard, Lee Jackson's books etc. If you go to Amazon and click on Catherine Cookson - they often give recommendations of similar authors and you can see if any of those take your fancy.

Hi there

Wow Victorian fiction is such a big genre. I love Victorian fiction but mostly of the mystery type such as Sherlock Holmes, Rider Haggard, Lee Jackson's books etc. If you go to Amazon and click on Catherine Cookson - they often give recommendations of similar authors and you can see if any of those take your fancy.

Thanks for that

William Thackeray comes to mind - a slightly more satirical and middle class setting than Dickens.

William Thackeray comes to mind - a slightly more satirical and middle class setting than Dickens.

Thanks not heard of him but will give it a go.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of Thackeray. Vanity Fair is one of my all-time favorites!

I also recommend Dickens, any of the Bronte sisters, Anthony Trollope, Louisa May Alcott, Wilkie Collins, Mark Twain, and Catharine Maria Sedgwick.

• 3 weeks later...

Oscar Wilde - the importance of being earnest and jekyll and hyde by robert louis stevenson are great if you're looking for something to do with victorian society and what is acceptable behaviour (still very relevant today) think I'm still in the mindset of analysing these from last year for english but I'll have to do it again because I failed (yay for me!)

To those already suggested, I'd add the following possibilities, all of whose books I've enjoyed:

Elizabeth Gaskell

George Eliot

Thomas Hardy

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Bram Stoker (Dracula!)

Henry Rider Haggard

Henry James (generally reckoned to be harder work than average though)

Some also like Joseph Conrad and HG Wells. Although I never really got on with them., you might.