2012 Genre Challenge

Kell

genrechallenge.jpg

I know it’s still just over two months till the end of the year, but when it comes to setting up a reading challenge, the sooner you get the word out there, the better!

Throughout next year I will be hosting the 2012 Genre Challenge and taking part in the Maxi Challenge. I now have a good two months to decide which genres I will choose and then choose my books to suit the genres as the months approach.

I hope all my reading friends out there in Blogland and on the forum will take part too.

For full details see the 2012 Genre Challenge page

HERE

I do urge people to choose one or two genres out of their comfort zone if possible, just to give other things a try and broaden horizons. I'm determined to try a western (I've never read one before!) and am looking to try more speculative fiction, war and my sadly neglected classics and modern classics. :)

Ok... Maybe its just me being really daft... but how does one sign up for this? Do I create my own page and link to that or what?

It says: "Sign up by leaving a comment with your name, a link to your sign-up post / page, and the challenge option you have chosen."

It's late here and maybe I just don't get it :P

Sorry, I've changed the wording a little - you create a page or post to log your progress in the chellenge and link to that. Then I can list all the links so that all the participants can go and cheer each other on throughout the challenge. :)

No problem. :) I took the genres from a list on Wikipedia, so you can see the kinds of things that comes under them here:

Saga

sub-genre - Family Saga

Speculative Fcition

Sub-genre - Science Fiction

Sub-sub-genre - Hard science fiction

Sub-sub-genre - Soft science fiction

Sub-sub-genre - Space Opera

Other sub-genres:

- Punk (Cyberpunk, Dieselpunk, Atompunk, Nanopunk, Postcyberpunk, Steampunk, Clockpunk, Biopunk)

- Alternative universe

- Scientific romance

So, although Sci-fi is a subgenre of speculative fiction, I felt it was so well-known and popular on it's own, it could stand as a seperate genre.

• 1 month later...

Hi Weave

I just visited your blog and tried to post a hello,but I must need a blog or something to be allowed to comment,so I'll just comment on here .

It sounds like you are excited about your first book selection,to have it picked out that far before it is published.

Hope you enjoy it and have fun with the Challenge . :)

Oh, ok, thanks ,guys ~

I didnt understand what it meant .It almost sounded like a car -chase type book where they crash ?

I'm a little slow on the uptake with the new type books. I think I saw one that was Abraham Lincoln,Vampire Killer or some such thing .

Thanks for clearing it up for me . :)

Indeed - a mash-up is usually a classic novel which has been given an unusual twist. In many cases it's a horror/supernatural twist (as in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; or Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters), but sometimes it's a re-working of a classic in a slightly different way (for example Murder at Mansfieild Park, which turns all the characters topsy-turvy).

They're a lot of fun.

Some mash-up titles to consider might be:

• Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Mr Darcy; Vampyre
  • Queen Victoria; Demon Hunter
  • Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Slayer
  • Android Karenina
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies
  • Murder at Mansfield Park
  • The Meowmorphosis
  • Jane Slayer
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • I Am Scrooge - A Zombie Story for Christmas

Actually, looking at this list, I've already read quite a few of them! I have to say I've enjoyed them all (some to a lesser degree than others, but they've all been enjoyable romps!). In the case of the Austen and Bronte mash-ups, they remain particularly faithful to the original story and they work suprisingly well with the supernatural additions!

Hi Weave

I just visited your blog and tried to post a hello,but I must need a blog or something to be allowed to comment,so I'll just comment on here .

It sounds like you are excited about your first book selection,to have it picked out that far before it is published.

Hope you enjoy it and have fun with the Challenge . :)

Thanks Julie :)

Theu would be fantasy - retelling a tale from another point of view. Mash-ups are a total subversion of a story, usually with an addition of a different genre element, such as horror or murder-mystery, etc.