Help! Fiction books about the Romans or Greeks.

Hello! I am searching for interesting fiction about the Ancient Greeks and the Romans. I found that after reading about gladiators and Roman culture I wanted to read some more! I love historical fiction but don't know where to start...Can anyone recommend me anything?

A bloke at work is reading a series of historical fiction books about Julius Caesar, I will find out what they are called for you. A really really exciting non fiction book I read about Rome is called Rubicon, I could not put that down when I read it, that might be a good background for you, even though not fiction.

Here is a link to it on amazon, read the first few customer reviews, it is not a boring read more like a fantastic story, and all true.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubicon-Triumph-Tragedy-Roman-Republic/dp/034911563X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319233888&sr=1-1

Edited by vodkafan

Conn Iggulden's Emperor series is rather good, its not finnished yet tho, but they are worth reading all the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_(book_series)

there you can read a little about them. :)

Spartacus by Howard Fast deals with life in Rome shortly after the third and final slavewar. Its well written and it feels like the author's done his research

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really a fan of historical fiction, but I did enjoy the first book of The Forgotten Legion Chronicles by Ben Kane. Michelle has reviewed the first two books in the series and I've reviewed the first one here http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3726-the-forgotten-legion-chronicles-by-ben-kane if you want to read a bit more about them. :smile2:

A guy at my work raves over Simon Scarrow's Rome series. Looks quite good.

They are nothing short of brilliant. I've read all but the most recent one and plan to rectify that ASAP. :)

The Romans series by Simon Scarrow is particularly good:

1. Under the Eagle (2000)

2. The Eagle's Conquest (2001)

3. When the Eagle Hunts (2002)

4. The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)

5. The Eagle's Prey (2004)

6. The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)

7. The Eagle in the Sand (2006)

8. Centurion (2007)

9. The Gladiator (2009)

10. The Legion (2010)

11. Praetorian (2011)

Others I've read that you might also like to try:

Douglas Jackson - Caligula

Michelle Moran – Cleopatra’s Daughter

Robert Graves – I, Claudius

Books I have on Mount TBR (but haven't yet read):

Robert Harris - Pompeii

Valerio Massimo Manfredi – The Last Legion

Robert Silverberg - Roma Eterna (which is an alternative history where Rome never fell)

Lew Wallace – Ben Hur (which is actually set in Jerusalem, but at the beginning of the 1st century, during Roman Rule)

• 2 weeks later...