Take A Chance Challenge, Julie

julie

Ok, I'm gonna give this another go .

Maybe it'd be good to get myself on some type of reading schedule so I am better organized and can keep track of what I read .

So,back to the beginning :

1: Staff Member’s Choice: Go to a bookstore or library that has a “Staff Picks” section. Read one of the picks from that section.

Haunting of Hill House / Shirley Jackson Chosen by the staff at the local bookstore for a Halloween theme .

Completed . 1 star .

2: Loved One’s Choice: Ask a loved one to pick a book for you to read.

3: Blogger’s Choice: Find a “Best Books Read” post from a favorite blogger. Read a book from their list.

4: Critic’s Choice: Find a “Best of the Year” list from a magazine, newspaper or professional critic. Read a book from their Top 10 list.

5: Blurb Book: Find a book that has a blurb on it from another author. Read a book by the author that wrote the blurb.

6: Book Seer Pick: Go to The Book Seer and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.

7: What Should I Read Next Pick : Go to What Should I Read Next? and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.

8: Which Book Pick: Go to Which Book? and use the software to generate a list of books. Read a book from that list.

9: LibraryThing Pick: Go to LibraryThing’s Zeitgeist page. Look at the lists for 25 Most Reviewed Books or Top Books and pick a book you’ve never read. Read the book. (Yes … you can click on MORE if you have to.)

10: Pick A Method: Pick a method for finding a book from the choices listed below.

•Random Book Selection.

I chose one shelf and picked the strangest last name of an author for my random choice .

Photographing Fairies by Steve Szilagyi

(Currently Reading )

Edited by julie

Ooh, that looks like a FAB challenge. Hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea :) I think I'll start it in the new year.

Hi Ruth

It'll be great to have you join in when you can,but I can't take credit for the idea. I found it in the reading challenge area ,so just started a thread so I could keep track of what I'm doing .

Hope you can join me later !

I've never considered doing a challange like this, but reading this makes me want to try it! Some really good ideas here

Ian

Interesting! I may do that next year. I have too much waiting on my kindle already to finish first! Good luck to you both.

Me too VF, I daren't start a challenge this year .. it would mean buying more books and the house is practically falling down under the weight of books as it is. I'm intrigued by it though, it sounds interesting and would like to give it a go next year.

Good luck with the challenge Julie :) I have wanted to read The Haunting of Hill House for a while (I loved We Have Always Lived in the Castle) so I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

I've never considered doing a challange like this, but reading this makes me want to try it! Some really good ideas here

Ian

Hi Ian

It'd be great to have you along if you want to join in ! I thought it sounded like an interesting way to choose some future books,too .

Interesting! I may do that next year. I have too much waiting on my kindle already to finish first! Good luck to you both.

Vodkafan

Perfectly fine if you have too big a list currently .I can definitely understand that .

Me too VF, I daren't start a challenge this year .. it would mean buying more books and the house is practically falling down under the weight of books as it is. I'm intrigued by it though, it sounds interesting and would like to give it a go next year.

Good luck with the challenge Julie :) I have wanted to read The Haunting of Hill House for a while (I loved We Have Always Lived in the Castle) so I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

Hi Poppy

Yea, maybe a few of you who are tied up the next few months would be able to all start together in the new year . I'll definitely post how I like the Haunting book !

Morning Poppy :D

Yep, I know wht you mean about a book being disappointing . I probably wouldn't have finished it if I wasn't trying to complete it for this challenge . It wasn't even a little bit scarey ! I'm thinking if they made it into a movie, which I think they did, they would have had to add something to it to make it good enough .

Better luck with the next one !

• 4 weeks later...

Well folks, I believe I have currently bit off more than I can chew on book challenges, dicscussions, etc ,so this one will have to be put on hold til I can catch up with some other things .

I'll be back with this as time allows ...

Gotta get back to Roger Ackroyd before the month is over !

Hi Julie, maybe this could be a good New Year challenge that we could start together? :friends0:

That sounds great to me :) I think I'd do better with it if someone else was playing along .

We'll try to get a good running start on it then if you'd like . :I-Agree: