Julie- a new person

julie

Hi all,

I guess I'm one of the new people on the block,so I should introduce myself . I'm Julie ,from Ohio . I'm 53 and have 3 grown kids,all moved off on their own. I have 7 grandkids .

I'm a lifelong book lover .My favorite type books are probably true crime, but I like lots of other type books,too .

I've been searching for a good online book group .I have visited many others but their message boards seemed hard to get the hang of,where this one is much easier to get around on .

I'm very interested in a possible book challenge type of thing,since I've never done one before .

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and hear about lots of new books ! :readingtwo:

Hi Easy Reader and thanks for the welcome !

I'm real excited to find a nice group like this with an easy message board to follow . Some of them, it's hard to keep track of what posts I've read, etc .

Can I ask you a couple questons ?

I wondered about the Reading Challenge area : Some of the original starting ideas for challenges are posted,but from many months ago . Are we allowed to sign up for any of those, or are some closed ? I didn't want to do anything wrong by signing up for something that has been done for a long time . :doh:

Then is the Reading Circle area where the book of the month is chosen and discussed ? I'm a little confused on it. I saw where you could vote for the November book,but I'm probably not allowed to vote yet,since I'm new,and it's ok . I was just wondering when it said the voting will be open til some time in 2012 ??? Was I reading it wrong ?

Sorry for so many questions . I really would like to take part in a challenge or a group read if I can .

Thank you , :flowers2:

Hi Julie, and welcome to the forum.

The reading challenges are entirely up to individuals. If you see one that takes your fancy than go ahead and have a go, not matter how 'old' the thread or challenge is. As you can see, some people have their own threads and are keeping track on those, and others are doing more of a group thing (e.g. Rory's Reading). Feel free to start a thread of your own if you want to do a challenge, or dive in on a group one.

With regard to the Reading Circle - you can still vote for one of the November books, as the poll is still open. In the same section of the forum, Nomination threads and Voting threads will go up as and when the next month's Reading Circle host gets them ready. Feel free to nominate a book on that month's theme and/or vote on that month.

Really, it's a case of dive in! :lol: If something goes in the wrong place we can move it, let you know etc, so don't worry too much. Just enjoy. :)

If a topic has already been started then feel free to join in.

with regards to the reading circle its just a case of getting people to read the same book at the same time to have a discussion together there is no reason why you can't add to an old post if you wanted to add to it.

I assume most people like me click on "view new content" (top right hand corner of the screen) to see the latest posts so if you do add to an old thread its not going to go un-noticed.

Hi Chrissy !

Thank you for explaining about the questions I had .It sounds as if I have hit Book Heaven here ! What a nice board, selection of entertainment,and polite people !

Hi Chaliepud

Yes, I agree, these places usually do tend to give me a lot of new books I want to search for .We recently had a used bookstore open up the next town over,so I have been stopping by there a "little" too often,as they get new books in on a pretty constant basis . How I think I will ever finish them all is a good question ... I think I have a serious problem .Better than buying Budweiser I guess .

Hi EasyReader

Thanks for the tip on refreshing the new topic doodad ... this has got to be one of the easiest to use message boards I have found !

Hi Pickle

Thanks to you also for the welcome. my gosh,you are all so friendly here ! I'm really glad to have found you .

Hi Julie , you have come to the right place. I have been here for over a year , made lots of friends and read many books I would never have looked at before.

Please feel free to join in the November reading circle you still have time to vote I think. It is a murder mystery theme which sounds like up your street.

... I think I have a serious problem .Better than buying Budweiser I guess .

I found once you have read one Budweiser you have read them all.. :wink:

Hi Vodkafan

Thanks for the reply. I'll go check it out and see which book sounds best to me . This definitely is a nice friendy bunch of people!

And pretty cute about the Budweiser. I guess I wasn't thinking of reading the can,but it really wouldnt be all that interesting,would it ?

Hi Kirsty

Thank you for the welcome . Good to see another new person here,so maybe we can learn the ropes together .

Hi there Dawn

And thanks for the kind welcome .

Hi Pixie

I agree,everyone here has been so nice and welcoming . A great board ! How long has this group been going,do you know ? And yep, I like cookies too .

Hey there and welcome to BCF, Julie! Glad you joined us :D

Who are some of your favorite authors? I've not read a TON of true crime, but I have read some Tess Gerritsen and Kathy Reichs, if they count.

Correct me if I'm wrong, mods, but hasn't the board been around since sometime in 2007?

Hi Peacefield

Thanks for the welcome ! I haven't read any Tess Gerritsen or Kathy Reichs . I "think" the Reichs lady may write her books based on a real character, I'm not sure .

For true crime writers ,let's see, there are so many . I prefer some of the older true crime stories to most of the newer type . There are many now that remind me more of National Enquirer type books, not written well and the back cover tells you who killed who ,and why,even before opening the book .Kinda ruins the point of reading it for me at least .

So,let's see, for older ones, I loved Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (about Gary Gilmore) .

Another one told from a different viewpoint (Gary's brother Mikal) called Shot in the Heart . It told a lot about their childhood and was more personal ,but a wonderful and sad book .

One of my all time favorites is :And the Sea Will Tell by Vincent Bugliosi . Great story !!

Another one I loved was The Dreams of Ada -- can't remember the author's name on it .

The Devil's Knot is good,now there is a very recent update on that whole case if you follow the shows like 48 Hours, I think they had it on there a few weeks ago .

Ann Rule is good,but many of hers now are short story type crimes,which are good, but I like one big long story myself.

another really old one is Fatal Vision about Dr. Jeff MacDonald .

I could go on and on,but those are the ones off the top of my head that I remember the most .

Hi Weave !

Thanks for the cute little welcome sign ! I can tell this group is gonna be a good one. Real nice people here that make me feel right at home !

Hi Julie :welcome2: it's lovely to meet you. I'm hosting the Reading Circle in November so sorry if I confused you in any way (you'll have to excuse me .. it was my first time hosting and I was all fingers and thumbs :D) The voting is finished now and the book chosen but we would love for you to join us in November to discuss it (it's an Agatha Christie book) ... I'm hoping to get the book soon and read it so that I can send it out to anyone who might not be able to get hold of a copy. The more the merrier.

Look forward to seeing you around the forum and reading your thoughts on the books you've read :) .. everyone is so friendly that you'll be glad you came .... your book wishlist will grow though, it's inevitable.

A great board ! How long has this group been going,do you know ? And yep, I like cookies too .

Correct me if I'm wrong, mods, but hasn't the board been around since sometime in 2007?

2005! That's a whole lot of reading and chatting!

Although I sadly didn't find y'all until 2008. :wink:

Hi Poppy

Thank you for the invitation to the November book read. I may try to join in . I'll make a library run today if I can find the book there . I only have one of Christie's books on my shelf here .

Hi Chrissy

Wow that IS a lot of reading . I don

t know how I missed this place for all those years when I did book group searches. Sure glad I found it ,even if I'm late to the party !

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that IS a lot of reading . I don

t know how I missed this place for all those years when I did book group searches. Sure glad I found it ,even if I'm late to the party !

Better late than never! :smile2: Welcome to the forum (a rather late welcome :blush:)

Have you read Vincent Bugliosi's book on the Manson family? Pretty creepy stuff :huh: I'd also recommend Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me (about Ted Bundy) but I'm pretty sure you've already read it :)

Better late than never! :smile2: Welcome to the forum (a rather late welcome :blush:)

Have you read Vincent Bugliosi's book on the Manson family? Pretty creepy stuff :huh: I'd also recommend Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me (about Ted Bundy) but I'm pretty sure you've already read it :)

HiFrankie

Thank you for the welcome ! No, I haven't read the Helter Skelter (Manson ) book,although I have it .I usually like the true crimes where you start them and really don't know what will happen to who, or if they get off with it or found guilty . The Helter Skelter one, you already know the story,so I haven't yet read it.

I did read the Ann Rule's Bundy book a really long time ago.It was quite interesting. He was a real charmer and sharp-looking,so didn't fit the "mold" of what you picture in your mind as a serial killer would look. He was also educated and fooled a lot of people for a long time.

What type books do you like ? Good to meet you !

Edited by julie

HiFrankie

Thank you for the welcome ! No, I haven't read the Helter Skelter (Manson ) book,although I have it .I usually like the true crimes where you start them and really don't know what will happen to who, or if they get off with it or found guilty . The Helter Skelter one, you already know the story,so I haven't yet read it.

I did read the Ann Rule's Bundy book a really long time ago.It was quite interesting. He was a real charmer and sharp-looking,so didn't fit the "mold" of what you picture in your mind as a serial killer would look. He was also educated and fooled a lot of people for a long time.

What type books do you like ? Good to meet you !

I liked the Helter Skelter book, because eventhough I know about the Manson family, I didn't really know all the details. It's one horrid read. The bit about Manson interpreting Beatles's songs is very fascinating and creepy. I would also warn you that some of the court stuff is in my opinion a bit too detailed, it drags on for a while. But a good book, all in all.

I thought Ann Rule's Bundy book was really interesting, because she knew Bundy herself, through her voluntary work. She had a totally different insight to the story. But yeah, Bundy was really skilled, if he fooled Rule, he could certainly fool anyone.

Me, I read pretty much everything, although scifi and fantasy are not my top priority. I like true crime books just like you :) We have a thread on the subject somewhere in the crime/thriller section, I think, check it out if you like :)

I liked the Helter Skelter book, because eventhough I know about the Manson family, I didn't really know all the details. It's one horrid read. The bit about Manson interpreting Beatles's songs is very fascinating and creepy. I would also warn you that some of the court stuff is in my opinion a bit too detailed, it drags on for a while. But a good book, all in all.

I thought Ann Rule's Bundy book was really interesting, because she knew Bundy herself, through her voluntary work. She had a totally different insight to the story. But yeah, Bundy was really skilled, if he fooled Rule, he could certainly fool anyone.

Me, I read pretty much everything, although scifi and fantasy are not my top priority. I like true crime books just like you :) We have a thread on the subject somewhere in the crime/thriller section, I think, check it out if you like :)

Morning Frankie

Thanks for the note about the true crime section of the boards. I never even thought to look for it ! There is so much here that I havent gotten to see yet !

I agree with you on the Helter Skelter book,that it will definitely be pretty graphic .I'v seen the photos and know it was a horrible violent event . Bugliosi does tend to write a lot about the trial part -- at least that is what I have found with his book called "And the Sea Will Tell". It's probably one of my all time favorite true crime books,but it does have quite a long section telling about the trial,and parts of it get a little dry at times .

Gonna go check out the true crime area !

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Frankie

Thanks for the note about the true crime section of the boards. I never even thought to look for it ! There is so much here that I havent gotten to see yet !

I agree with you on the Helter Skelter book,that it will definitely be pretty graphic .I'v seen the photos and know it was a horrible violent event . Bugliosi does tend to write a lot about the trial part -- at least that is what I have found with his book called "And the Sea Will Tell". It's probably one of my all time favorite true crime books,but it does have quite a long section telling about the trial,and parts of it get a little dry at times .

Gonna go check out the true crime area !

You're welcome, that's what we're here for :smile2:

I guess Bugliosi writes so much about the trial scene because he's involved in that type of work himself. The legal system in the US differs so much from the Finnish system that it's interesting in itself, but... it's still a bit too detailed in my opinion :)

Frankie

I'm not familiar with the legal system over there as to how crimes are tried, etc .

This is probably a stupid question,but are there any true crime books that take place over there that would be available ,like on amazon ?

It'd be interesting to see the differences .