Suggestions on a good book series?

Is there a series of books anybody could recommend for me please?

I've never read a book series before until Twilight. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and the events that unfold around them. By the time the series ends I want to feel like I know the characters personally and feel sad it's come to an end after spending so long absorbing their story.

I love romance, it can be fantasty/supernatural I.e vampires etc. or more realistic.

I have stumbled across a couple of series' via this website and they are the vampire academy by Richelle Mead and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. Both being supernatural and being about vampires. I haven't read either yet but they are possibilities.

I did wonder about Harry Potter but I don't think that's my kind of read.

Any suggestions please?

Edited by Star

How about the Hunger Games trilogy? I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like them..

I like the Sookie Stackhouse books (on which the TV series True Blood is based on) the first half a dozen are great but in my opinion the quality tails off a little after those. They do have adult themes though, so you would need to decide if that is for you or not..

Other series I have liked are -

Maggie Stiefvaters Shiver, Linger and Forever (werewolves, aimed at young adults)

Kimberley Dertings The Body Finder and Desires of the Dead, (3rd book due next year and more planned after that) about a girl who can find dead bodies from their 'echo' - not as gruesome as it sounds, again aimed at a young adult market.

Lastly a favourite of mine, Joss Stirlings Finding Sky and Stealing Phoenix. The first two in a series following a family of savant brothers finding their soul matches, if you liked Twilight you'll almost definitely like these..

Hope that helps, happy reading, I'll be watching this thread with interest! :)

Edited by chaliepud

Wow that's great thanks. I'm going to look these up.

I've heard of the Hunger Games on this site before.

I also came across Shiver and it's on my wishlist but I didn't realise it was part of a series so that's interesting I think I may go for those.

You have gave me food for thought. Off I go to Amazon to trail through the reviews.

I'm currently reading two young adult urban fantasy series:

The Immortals series by Alyson Noel (I'm currently reading the second one):

1. Evermore (2009)

2. Blue Moon (2009)

3. Shadowland (2010)

4. Dark Flame (2010)

5. Night Star (2010)

6. Everlasting (2011)

The Fallen series by Lauren Kate (I've read the first one):

1. Fallen (2009)

2. Torment (2010)

3. Passion (2011)

4. Rapture (2012)

You might also enjoy the entire Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Amstrong (I've read all of them to date):

. Bitten (2001)

2. Stolen (2002)

3. Dime Store Magic (2003)

4. Industrial Magic (2004)

5. Haunted (2005)

6. Broken (2006)

7. No Humans Involved (2007)

8. Personal Demon (2008)

9. Living with the Dead (2008)

10. Frost Bitten (2009)

11. Waking the Witch (2010)

12. Spellbound (2011)

The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong (I've read all of them):

1. The Summoning (2008)

2. The Awakening (2009)

3. The Reckoning (2010)

The Darkness Rising Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong (I've not started these ones yet):

1. The Gathering (2011)

2. The Calling (2012)

(The third one hasn't been announced yet)

I can guarantee that all of these are WAY better than the Twilight Saga! :)

Thanks Kel I'll check those out too. Btw how can you read 2 books at a time? :o

I'm just looking up those Sookie Stackhouse books. I've seen a bit of True Blood on the Tv. Very raunchy if I remember right or was that Vampire Diaries :rolleyes: Don't worry I'm old enough so I'm sure I won't be too suprised lol :giggle2:

Edited by Star

Yep veeeery raunchy! Vampire Diaries is based on a series of books too but I haven't read them so can't vouch for them, new series starts tomorrow on ITV2 though, can't wait!

I may read Dead Until Dark next then. I like a bit of raunchiness. Especially as it's starting to get cold and dark, need something to warm me up LOL :giggle2:

I don't think you're missing much with Vampire Diaries I've heard off various people they aren't as good as the TV show & are actually quite disappointing.

Thanks Kel I'll check those out too. Btw how can you read 2 books at a time? :o

I'm just looking up those Sookie Stackhouse books. I've seen a bit of True Blood on the Tv. Very raunchy if I remember right or was that Vampire Diaries :rolleyes: Don't worry I'm old enough so I'm sure I won't be too suprised lol :giggle2:

I have one by my bed and one in my bag for reading on the go. ;)

I have one by my bed and one in my bag for reading on the go. ;)

Are they different books though?

I wouldn't be able to read 2 different books. I wouldn't be able to take it all in. I struggle as it is lol :giggle2:

I think the Trueblood series was ranchier than the books, but saying that I preferred the books. The Women of the Otherworld are fab books. Depending on what you like, The Greywalker books by Kat Richardson are pretty good, first book in series is Greywalker. If you like a bit of urban fantasy, I'd recommend the Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels books, first one is Magic Bites and finally, if you like Vampires, I'd recommend Chloe Neill's Chaicagoland Vampires, first one is Some Girls Bite

There's definitely sexy stuff in the Southern Vampires books, but the show was definitely raunchier - lots of nekkidness in the show!

Are they different books though?

I wouldn't be able to read 2 different books. I wouldn't be able to take it all in. I struggle as it is lol :giggle2:

And yes, they're different books. Sometimes (although very rarely) I have as many as four or five different books on the go, but more often than not it's just the two. :) I read my hardbacks at home and paperbacks (often from the library) on the go.

• 2 months later...

I too was looking for a new series of books to read - I shall give some of the above a try!!

The Harry Potter series is good for a bit of light reading if you want to just switch your mind off and not have to think about under lying meaning.

elizabexx

x

• 1 month later...

Maybe you will also like the Matched series by Ally Condie.

1. Matched

2. Crossed

3. Hasn't been announced yet

I enjoyed it and I'm a fan of almost all the series recommended here :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

If you love romance, then you might enjoy "I heart... " by Lindsey Kelk. I've just ordered the first one myself, but I've read really positive reviews.

1- "I heart New York"

2- "I heart Hollywood"

3- "I heart Paris"

4- "I heart Vegas"

5- "I heart London"

Have you heard of an Author named Juliet Marillier? She writes series based in Scotland and Ireland in Celtic times.

I have really enjoyed all of them, my favourite being 'Bridei Chronicles'.

I recommend, as I do to anyone who asks for a series to read, George R.R. Martin's "A Song Of Ice And Fire". Fanatic medieval fantasy series.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently in the middle of the Fifty Shades Trilogy,

Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Freed

Amazing books, started reading these directly after reading The Hunger Games Trilogy. They are well worth a read!

Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Freed

I hadn't heard of these before, but I saw they are right at the top of amazon's top 100 bestselling books. Why the sudden popularity? What's the general premise of them?

oh right, not really my cup of tea then hehe. Wonder why they shot up the amazon book list??

Possibly the thousands of adverts on and around the London Tube, that's why my friend bought it, I'll be reading it after her, I'm a bit nervous as to how raunchy it can be! I coped with the Sookie Stackhouse books ok, I wonder how many degrees more raunchy these are?! :o

Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Freed

Amazing books, started reading these directly after reading The Hunger Games Trilogy. They are well worth a read!

I was actually going to suggest this trilogy but it's true what Michelle says they are very raunchy (adult!).

Andie P x