Gardening

muggle not

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv'e watered it as soon as i replanted it yesterday and that evening and when i got home from work today......

What makes you think you have a nest? Have you seen some more? :blush:

How about some food?

No but we have a new compost heap which apparently is like putting balloons on the gate for a rat party:blush:

Nici, its quite normal for plants to take a dip before they get settled. Keep watering it, but don't let the roots drown, and then if it doesn't rally, in a day or so, prune it right down to just a few inches. If you are likely to have frost I would put in a pot, but I am presuming that's unlikely. We almost had a frost last night, it was trying...all sparkly. You'll probably find that left to its own devices it will rally. Just takes time. Lavateras are pretty hardy and grow very quickly. I used to have some and loved them cos they flowered profusely for about eight or nine months of the year. Good luck!

Pp

Thanks PP! Unfortunately the roots are too big to get in a pot..... But i agree they are lovely shrubs and they get so big! I would think that we would have to be very unlucky to get a frost now but i have some fleece at hand just in case!

Water?

Still not venturing in the back though repotted in the front.

Environmental health are on their way! Think we have a nest

We had them many years ago - it was because - as we discovered when they moved - next door hadn't got rid of any of their rubbish and had put it in the outside loo - yuk yuk yuk! Anyway at the time I was too afraid to hang the washing out and was generally very skittish when outside. My husband caught one in a humane trap and it was quite vicious. It was then that we called Env Health. They dealt with it effectively and quickly and we weren't plagued again - thank goodness!

I'm not convinced my Lavatera (sp?) is going to survive after i replanted it yesterday....the leaves are all wilting. :blush:

My buddleia is still looking sad after being moved but there is new growth which is always a good sign despite the drooping leaves. I'm sure your Lavatera will be ok if you keep an eye on it - I think cutting it back is good advice if it doesn't pick up.

My buddleia is still looking sad after being moved but there is new growth which is always a good sign despite the drooping leaves. I'm sure your Lavatera will be ok if you keep an eye on it - I think cutting it back is good advice if it doesn't pick up.

Thanks for that Judy, I have watered it again and it's starting to look a little happier...i will keep a very close eye on it! I was going to move my buddleia as well but i decided that the roots were just too big for me to attempt to dig up!

Thanks for that Judy, I have watered it again and it's starting to look a little happier...i will keep a very close eye on it! I was going to move my buddleia as well but i decided that the roots were just too big for me to attempt to dig up!

Yes ours is pretty big but it was in the wrong place so it needed moving - it was a bit like a scene from the enormous turnip trying to dig it up!!!

Today i spent 10 hours in the garden (i am aching now :lol: ).

I dug over and weeded the whole of one side of my garden - i have clay soil so that makes it pretty hard work - my Dad came over and did all my lawn edging and put some trellis up for me and i planted 4 new plants, gave it a general tidy up and barked the whole of my garden.

All the aches and pains are worth it though, it looks so nice! :)

Oh and it helped that it was 70 degrees although i have now got a rather pink nose!! :blush: That will teach me for not putting on sun tan lotion (well it is only April!)

Planted my cranberry bush in my new fruit patch then used weed supressant fabric and bark - need to get more. Moved a honeysuckle to cover a screen to create a private corner - all our gardens are overlooked as the fencing is very low. It's nice as there's a lovely open feel and you can see across to Wales but sometimes I feel like I'm on a stage so am trying to create little areas I can sit unseen in - just in case I nod off again!!!

Planted a couple of fuschias that have been in pots since last year, did the lawn edges so they at least look reasonably straight instead of higgledy piggledy (sp?), deadheaded the daffs and crocus' oh yes and mowed the lawn and weeded the borders. Now I am aching a little bit but it was worth it, tomorrow I can sit out there and feel proud of what I achieved.

The husband decided to "help" and put my tray of seedlings outside in the sun. Then he left them overnight and they got chilled. About half have died, I'm going to have to start again with the tomatos, and he wonders why I won't let him near the plants.

My ash tree became stressed last year due to the droughts and now has canker. Whilst I've heard that copper based fungicides could help, does anyone know of a more friendly organic treatment please? I really don't want to lose this tree as it's a lovely one which provides vital shade for a south facing garden.