Gardening

muggle not

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out and took a close up of the Jasmine / Japonica . This what it looks like

misc0002.jpg

Pp

That ceertainly is beautiful PP. That is a very nice "growth" of Jasmine and it is full of flowers. I'll bet it smells nice.

Does anyone grow Lilacs. I am especially partial to the Old Fashioned Purple Lilacs. I don't know of anything that has a better fragrance than Lilac.

Lilacs are my favourites too. We had several lilac trees, purple, pink and white in the garden when I was a child. I have always loved them since. I used to have a purple one when I lived in England, but have not been lucky enough to have one here in Scotland yet. However, over the back garden wall, the neighbours have a very big, and very beautiful lilac tree, white, and last year it had masses, and I mean, masses of flowers on it, so I do at least get to enjoy some lilac! The only problem with lilac is that the petals grow rusty as they age.

I have a very young lilac in the garden Muggle. It is more a deep wine colour than the pretty purple ones. Last year was the first time it flowered and they were very small flowers. I am hoping for bigger flowers this year. It is budding up at the moment. I will be able to tell if it has a lovely scent later in the spring. :blush:

I think I would like a white lilac PP.

Have you got lilacs in your new garden Muggle?

I love lilacs too. We have a very old white one that the original owner's grand-daughter of our house can always remember being here - the house was built in the late 1800's so it's pretty old. Also have a purple one that I grew from a cutting and want to get the really dark purple one too.

The purple lilac I had in England was a cutting that got from Scotland, and was tenderly nurtured until it was beginning to pay dividends...but then I moved and had to leave it behind.

The deep purple sounds lovely Renniemist...next time I'm down your way... actually, I don't really have room for anything else. But I can dream.:blush:

My garden is not going to be happy if we get this snow we are expected to :blush: i have dead headed and un-fleeced everything..I think i will be bringing all the fragile plants in pots in doors for a few days...Oh well that will teach me for thinking spring was here!

Chrissie said,

I love lilacs myself. We had a lovely purple one when I was growing up. Keep meaning to get a couple for my garden, but always forget or fall in love with some other plant instead when at the garden centre.

Me too! Bit like books. How on earth are we supposed to choose!:blush:

LOL :roll:

I will plant a purple Lilac at our new house but I am not sure it will do well as it may not be cold enough for it. They like very cold winter temperatures and it isn't that cold where I now live. I will still give it a try though. :friends0:

Our neighbours used to have a lilac - smelt gorgeous. Two years ago the neighbour at the bottom of all our gardens decided to spray weedkiller to rid his garden of weeds. Unfortunately it blew into our gardens and the casualties include the lilac tree, one of my damson trees, my elderflower tree, pond plants and shrubs next door but one.

Gosh Judy. If that happened to me I'd hardly be able to contain myself!!! I hope he apologised and reimbursed you in some way?:friends0::) :)

No he didn't - no apology despite us going round (nicely) to explain what he'd done. Had a few fits in my garden - I was very upset and it's now one of those 'don't get me started' subjects!

Judy, that's awful. I hate the way some people don't think about the possible consequence of their actions. We have an ongoing battle with a russian vine that our neighbour planted,it grows over the fence and we spend every summer hacking it back to stop it taking over our garden. It's a very anti social plant!:friends0:

It happened while we were on holiday and when we got home part of the bottom of the garden - lawn included - was just black and dead - it was wierd.

We have just got rid of our Russian vine for the same reason they are a menace and I was fed up with having to prune it at least once a week - birds loved it though. It's a long story why we had one in the first place but now it's no longer necessary so it's gone!

We also have what I think is a Russian vine although we have always referred to it as the ivy. It grows at a rate of knots and has to be vigorously cut back. It isn't ours, it comes from over the wall. The birds love it, and I must admit I love the fact that it trails down our side of the wall, and am grateful for the extra 3 feet in height which gives us heaps more privacy, but it is hard work!

Pp

Sometimes you really have to be careful about what you plant as some plants are very invasive and are almost impossible to get rid of easily.

We are going to buy some small Azealas today. The garden center has them on sale .....5 for $20. They are small but will grow.

I've been busy planting seeds this week, and now I have propagators on every available window ledge. So far I've planted cherry tomatos, pumpkins, courgettes, peppers and herbs.

When I have the site ready, I will be helping the grandchildren to plant sunflowers.

I'm going to be sowing my carrot, courgette, cauliflower and onion seeds this weekend. Just need to find somewhere to put my houseplants so that I can use the windowsills for the seeds.

Must start thinking about seeds soon. Last year I grew beetroot successfully so will do that again - I have a small area for veg. I also like to grow herbs. I'm hoping to get out in the garden on Sunday - I want to work on a water feature we put in last year - just improve the area around it. I've been out everyday to check for frog spawn but still none to be seen.

A day in the garden today! Planted alpine plants around my slate water feature. My veg patch is bare apart from an abundance of French Parsley so need to think about that soon - my OH complained that the spring onions he bought yesterday had come from halfway across the world so may put them on my 'veg to grow' list. Gave the lawn a mow - looks ten times better. Spent the afternoon enjoying my garden, the sun and the book I'm reading. Pleased to see the appearance of frogspawn at last.

My spring onions are about an inch above ground. The spinach and radishes are just starting to pop through. I cut the lawn grass Friday evening and Saturday morning. Wow, what a job with the push mower.

It took mea between 3 and 4 hours.

I wish the garedne centers would hurry up and get more of their flowers out so I can start buying them and planting.