Gardening

muggle not

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, haven't you had much rain? Our hydro lakes are all low this year and they are threatening us with power blackouts over winter but we haven't got water restrictions. How's the temperatures in Sydney at the moment? We're getting heaps of frosts ....brrrrr. Not so good for gardening (just so I don't get accused of being totally off-topic :D)

I think our May rainfall is the lowest on record. We haven't had much lately but we had enough last year to stock up our dams (which were getting dangerously low) so we should be right for a while.

Sydney is getting temps of around 10-21 degrees at the moment. The minimum temp is about 5 degrees cooler where I live. A bit brisk, but not too bad. We've been getting fog but no frost as yet. I suppose I'll have to start covering my car to keep the ice off the windscreens soon. One excellent thing about me moving out of home soon is that my car will finally have a garage of its very own. Awww :D

I don't envy your weather though :motz:. Oh wait, yes I do. I wanna live where it snows (pardon my ignorance, but does it snow everywhere in NZ?)

I don't envy your weather though :motz:. Oh wait, yes I do. I wanna live where it snows (pardon my ignorance, but does it snow everywhere in NZ?)

Lol. No it doesn't. In the central part of the North Island you get snow and on mountain ranges and further south in the South Island (don't we have imaginative names for places here :D)It doesn't snow where I live but we look out onto snow covered mountains in winter. You're excused :lol:, I wouldn't have thought you'd get frosts in Sydney.

The Fringe Tree is very pretty Muggle. I don't think I've seen one of those before. Does it have a scent?

Good luck with the gardening Kylie, just pick a sunny site for veges (probably not a problem in Aussie :friends0:) and don't forget to water them. You'll be fine.

Thank you. in early / mid spring the tree has a wonderful scent with a fragrance that is throughout the yard. Which reminds me, talking about fragrance, does anyone have lilac bushes planted. I bought 2 and planted them and i also have a small one started from my an old, old, lilac.

maureen, now why would you be green with envy, I think you are pulling my leg. :tong:

Thank you. in early / mid spring the tree has a wonderful scent with a fragrance that is throughout the yard. Which reminds me, talking about fragrance, does anyone have lilac bushes planted. I bought 2 and planted them and i also have a small one started from my an old, old, lilac.

maureen, now why would you be green with envy, I think you are pulling my leg. :friends0:

The Cranesbill Geranium.......isn't that the wildflower that grows in the land of Xena and Gabrielle.

yes Muggle, cranesbill geranium is the wildflower, but it's very good as a groundcover plant,takes a lot of abuse and doesn't need much water. I like the blue one best, but have inherited a pink one!

yes Muggle, cranesbill geranium is the wildflower, but it's very good as a groundcover plant,takes a lot of abuse and doesn't need much water. I like the blue one best, but have inherited a pink one!

We have 2 blue and 2 pink and I too prefer the blue one. I am thinking of taking up the pink ones because they spread so much and take over the plot where they are. They are all leaves and stalks and measly little flowers, what there are of them.

• 1 year later...

I like gardening. I've just got into growing my own veggies. Last Autumn i planted Japanese onions and I'm eating them now yum yum. I've eaten all the potatoes I grew in black bags and I pulled out a big fat juicy carrot today from a pot I sowed earler in the year. There's nothing like eating something you've grown yourself. :D

I bought a purple lily, today. At least I think it's a lily - this is what happens when they don't have those little name stickers on the plant holders... :D. It's such a gorgeous deep purple, though. I just hope I'll be able to take care of it... anything with flowers usually doesn't last long in my care *mourns her past attempts at looking after African violets*.

I love gardening. I have spent a lot of money time and effort this year doing my front garden up. Although i feel at the moment as though i closed my eyes for a second and the weeds have just shot back up and there is grass where its not supose to be!

Unfortunately I don't do much gardening now since all I have is my little terrace with potted flowers and plants on it, but growing up we always had a really big vegetable garden in our back yard. My mom was also big into planting trees and flowers all around our house and patio too, and still is that way up at our cabin. I think my folks probably preferred growing our own veggies because it was cheaper to feed 5 kids that way! Plus it was so nice to be outdoors weeding or picking things for meals, and then the inevitable canning season. Lots of good memories come from gardening for me :D.

Although i feel at the moment as though i closed my eyes for a second and the weeds have just shot back up and there is grass where its not supose to be!

I can relate to that one with the wet summer we're having. The weeds just love it...and so do the slugs and snails!!