Fluorescent waves

Lumo

For some biological reason I don't fully understand, there is something in the water here at the moment that makes waves turn florescent when they break on the shoreline. Various people had been talking about it and last night I went to the beech to see what it was like. It really was quite something - a normal beach at night, then when a big wave comes in it lights up and flashes bright just as it breaks (no, I wasn't drunk...). It really did look like TV special effects were being done right in front of me.

Anyone else seen this? One of natures hidden charms I suppose :-)

For some biological reason I don't fully understand, there is something in the water here at the moment that makes waves turn florescent when they break on the shoreline. Various people had been talking about it and last night I went to the beech to see what it was like. It really was quite something - a normal beach at night, then when a big wave comes in it lights up and flashes bright just as it breaks (no, I wasn't drunk...). It really did look like TV special effects were being done right in front of me.

Anyone else seen this? One of natures hidden charms I suppose :-)

I've never seen or heard of that. Sounds spooky!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you are talking about phosphorescence, a faint blue-green light emitted from the sea at night, either as a continuous glow or a series of tiny flashes. This light is produced by the bioluminescence of living organisms ranging from bacteria to the many species of plankton, including phytoplankton, especially dinoflagellates. On moonless nights in late summer, flashes of light in the surf breaking on sandy beaches are often produced by the appropriately named dinoflagellate Noctiluca. Bioluminescence is produced by a chemical reaction and serves a wide range of functions. Deep in the ocean where there is little or no daylight, almost every species has some light-producing capability. The wavelength of the blue-green light emitted is the same as the residual daylight that penetrates to the greatest depths in the ocean.

Not my own words. Copied from encyclopedia.com. I live on the coast in the UK and see it here from time to time.