New Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire released!

Lumo

The issue I'd have with the Kindle Touch is the constant wiping off of the screen! The thing I like about my normal Kindle is that I don't have to touch the screen, and I keep it in a case, so I don't have to wipe off fingermarks at all - I'm constantly cleaning my iPad screen :lol:

That's a really good point chesilbeach, I hadn't thought of that. I'm now even tempted to get the non touch one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really good point chesilbeach, I hadn't thought of that. I'm now even tempted to get the non touch one.

One of the pluses of the non-touch screen, and one of the reasons I bought the Kindle, is that it's that much easier to read as there is no extra layer between the reader and the text. That's one of the reasons the Kindle is so clear. I'd need to take a good hard look under a variety of lights before committing. Strong convenience factor though.

The non-touch version looks tempting, but I do use the keyboard occasionally (e.g. for ordering books!), and whilst the keyboard isn't exactly quick (especially when inputting numbers!), it'll be a lot less irritating than the 5-way controller with virtual keyboard! Like going back to messaging with phone keys after using a smartphone (but worse!). I'd prefer to see the Kindle Keyboard come with a decent keyboard instead.

Slightly different to Julie, whilst I still prefer a book to the Kindle in ideal conditions, the Kindle has definitely grown on me, and is remarkably convenient and comfortable to use, especially when reading in bed when you don't want to keep removing hands from under the covers, or in any situation when you want to be reading one-handed. Another big plus is the ability to change the size of the font.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I now have a Kindle Touch and I think it's great. I was worried about the screen getting finger prints or marks on it, but the matt surface doesn't seem to collect these at all. I've never used another kind of Kindle to compare this too, but I'm very happy with this one :-)

• 2 months later...

Yes, I saw that yesterday too. Like Laura though, I will wait for the Fire - a touch screen doesn't interest me, as the controller I have is easy enough to use, but one that plays DVD'a and MP3' as well, now that would be useful ! Depending of course on the price, as this is rip off Britain and it is bound to cost at least twice as much ....

Beware of the Kindle Touch 3G - 3G is not unlimited as was the Kindle Keyboard, 3G internet is only for the Kindle Store and Wikipedia access.

Internet browsing is only through wifi or not at all.

Something to be aware of.

I think I'll hold out until the fire comes to the UK so I can have a play on both and see. At the minute the touch doesnt hold much appeal for me.

The Kindle fire is not really an e-reader, it's more of a multi-media tablet. The LCD screen tires the eyes. If you're looking for something to read books on primarily, you want to go for a device that uses e-ink technology, not LCD.

The Kindle fire is not really an e-reader, it's more of a multi-media tablet. The LCD screen tires the eyes. If you're looking for something to read books on primarily, you want to go for a device that uses e-ink technology, not LCD.

I want a bit of a multi-media tablet I think, but I want to have a play on one before I commit. Its being marketed as the biggest rival to the ipad so I am a bit interested!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hhmmm still far above my budget. I would love a big screen though so PDFs will be readable too. I'm one of the few who likes having a back light (LCD) so I can read it in the bus in the dark winter months. Still... so far above my budget!

Edited by Argon9

I got my Kindle (non-touch) about a year ago. Initially, I was very excited about my purchase and I still don't regret it. I've downloaded tons of books for it. As someone who lives in Belgium, I use it most to download those books I can't find in any of the libraries I am a member of here.

I have to say that I still prefer physical books. If I downloaded a book to my Kindle and later find it in the library, I'll borrow the book from the library. I use my Kindle most when travelling abroad. I do think I might be using it more in the future, though.

One major downside is that it's so hard to organise your books on a Kindle. Collections only go one level deep and I'd like a more extensive way to organise my books in groups/shelves/collections.

Hi folks

Been awhile since I posted in here . I have used my Kindles much more frequently since then,and find that I now prefer them to paper books .

It's much easier to hold one with one hand, and prop it up on your knees if you want to eat or do something else while reading .

I have the Kindle keyboard and Fire ,so to comment on their good and bad points :

The plain Kindle is best for reading ,especially if you read for extended lengths of time in one sitting, because the battery lasts a good long while ,it is much more lightweight ,and probably easier on the eyes .

The Fire is so COOL though, You can read on it, of course, and I find the backlight really handly if you are reading at night or in a darker place and dont need the lights on. It has three different shades of backgrounds ,plus you can dim or brighten the light,so it's really nice for those things. It also plays videos, games ,you can go to the internet, etc. so it has COOL written all over it . The downside to it is the fact that it's much thicker and heavier than the regular Kindle .

As for the screen, it is a touch screen, but wipes off very easily if you get fingerprints on it,so it's really no big deal

I also have a Nook Touch,and must say it is best ,hands down, to the others for READING COMFORT. It is more of a square-shape ( a little shorter than the kindle ),and has a nice thick rubber edging on it,so it is so simple to hold . Very lightweight,LOVE the touch-screen to turn the pages . Fits nicely into just about any purse size ,and somehow feels a bit sturdier than the Kindle. I don't know if it is, but it feels like it .

The downside to the Nook ? Not nearly as many freebie books to choose from,and if you do find some, it takes you a long time to sift through them,where with Kindle,the Amazon site makes it so easy to find free or very low cost books .

There is a rumor out that Fire 2 is coming shortly,and from all I've heard, it will be thinner and lighter,and will take photos. The photo part is of no interest to me. I don't EVER use a camera, even though my phone has one. It's never been used,so that won't be a selling point to me. I doubt I'd spend the money to get another Fire when the one I have works fine .

I would still like a plain old Kindle Touch with a back light. I hear that is also in the future. If it comes out, SOLD to the Couch Potato from Ohio ! :)

So with the fire you can access Facebook too, or google something or read the paper online? Like a normal tablet?

I want to buy a tablet mostly so i can read on it but having the possibility to google some terms or some factual fact I suspect of being fictional would really be nice. On the foto bit.... why would anyone have a camera on his e reader...... ?

Hi Argon

Yes, you can do anything on the web on your Fire,but it's not quite as handy or quick --- like they say with the fancy phones which can do all that, it's harder to type out comments, etc on them,due to space for the keyboard I guess .

yep,you can also read the paper,or magazines if you like doing that too . All kinda of nifty things . I spend lots of time on youtube ,so sometimes I watch the videos with it .

My hubster has a Samsung Galaxy ,which is about the size of my Fire, only thinner a bit I think . His has a camera which he uses frequently ,but he takes more photos than I do . He takes photos on his geocaching hunts ,and also of reunion and family pictures,so he likes having it handy like that,and he carries his everyplace with him so it's always available .

I guess that's what is neat about all these gadgets. We all are using them for different things, so it's nice to have a selection of things it can do .

Thanks for the advice Julie :D I've been wanting to buy a tablet for a while now and I want mostly to read ebooks, the news and school related PDF's on it together with a bit of facebooking and some google searches. GPS funktion (for geocaching - yes I do that too, so much fun :D) camera or video player are only secondary wants/needs. I have a hard time deciding if I should go for an e-reader or a proper tablet. Ah well, I have another half year to think about it.

I've just ordered a Kindle Touch, it should be here this week, I'm so excited. A friend lent me her Kindle, it was the basic one, I really liked it but like the fact the Touch has the ability to play audio books and also seems more web friendly. The Fire is not much good here as we aren't able to access a lot of the apps and I prefer something a bit lighter and smaller to read in bed. I did a lot of homework into which one to get ...I hope I've made the right choice :unsure:

It's always a bit scary making technology-related decisions, I think. :) I bet you'll love it though. From everything I've read, everyone seems to love the Kindle even more than they thought they would. I look forward to your thoughts!

Argon

No problem, I hope you can decide what to get and choose the one that 's right for your needs . My Hubster loves geocaching,and has done it for about 5 years now I think . He just found a new type yesterday. I forget what he called them but they are bar-code type things that you have to use .

I like the Fire because of all the nifty things it does . Reading on it is nice,but it's a bit heavier than my regular Kindle .

I don't know if you are from the states or not,but Amazon is releasing a bunch of new Kindle items : A new Fire,which sounds about like mine, other than it will be a bit lighter-weight ,and it will take pictures. It might have more storage space,too. I didn't pay much attention to it because I don't need another one .

They also are coming out with one that has a bit larger screen, which would be nice to watch videos on .

AND they are also gonna have new ones called Paper-Whites ,which are ereaders with more clear-looking print ,so the black typing is supposed to show up clearer ,then the background is supposed to be whiter,with the contrast being better for easier reading. They will also have a light that is adjustable for brightness ,but it doesnt light up like the Fire does( like your computer screen light). I'm not sure how that one works, but I think I'll probably get one of those,because I've always wanted one with a lighted screen. It will be kinda like the Touch,but it says you don't have to SWIPE the screen to turn the page, you just touch it and it turns .

So many gadgets ,so little time (and money ) .

Poppy

how exciting, i hope you enjoy your Touch. I think you;ll like it a lot . I had a hard time at first,adjuting to using an eReader instead of a book,but I have used mine so much now, it's not comfortable using books any more . I like the fact that you don't have to hold the pages open, you can prop it on your lap and read or do other stuff ,too,so it's a nice gadget to have .

Edited by julie

Poppy

how exciting, i hope you enjoy your Touch. I think you;ll like it a lot . I had a hard time at first,adjuting to using an eReader instead of a book,but I have used mine so much now, it's not comfortable using books any more . I like the fact that you don't have to hold the pages open, you can prop it on your lap and read or do other stuff ,too,so it's a nice gadget to have .

Wow, I didn't think of that Julie!! I will be able to read and knit at the same time ....thank you!! :friends3:

@ Julie

Do you know if the kindle does work properly overseas and with the books bought from other websites? I've tried to google it but I don't really get a good answer so I thought maybe you would know. I would like to be able to also buy books from the swedish websites bokus.se and adlibris,se or the dutch site bol.com. Those have both thier own ereader but those support only a very few file formats. So, do you know if it works with other non-US websites?

Hi Argon

I'm not too familiar with how the Kindle would work elsewhere,since I have lived in this same PODUNK village since biirth .

I do know that Amazon has books just for the Kindle format ,but they have a free Kindle app you can purchase to put on other devices such as your computer or other type tablet .

I also know that here, our public libraries all have Kindle books available for download .They also offer them in other formats ,such as Epub ,so I can use my Nook to get those .

I "think" books such as the Classics are avaiable on lots of internet sites,so I think you can load those on your Kindle,but may need to use your cable to hook it onto your computer to load the files that way .

If you go to your local Amazon website and to the Help pages, then Contact us -- you can do a live chat or call or email them,so that might be a way to find your answers as to the other sites from your country .

As far as I know ,the Kindle works fine for those in the group who own them ,which would be mostly overseas people .I'm among the minority here I think .

The only thing I "think" is true is that the type of Kindles and certain books are available in different countries at different times. Like the people from UK -- I think they are just now getting available Kindles that are new to them,but we've had them for several months,and we are just getting some new ones that I dont think are available there yet,but probably would be within a year or less. I'm not sure how long it is between times for them.

Some books, they can get before us ,some we get before them . Must depend on the publishers ? Not sure on that either .

Anyhow, good luck, I hope you can soon get one and that you enjoy it and get lots of use out of it like I do . :)

In NZ we can't get library ebooks for the Kindle like you can in the US, and as far as I can understand some of the apps are not available on the Kindle Fire here either.

Also Argon, you can only purchase or download books from Amazon.

But in saying that, I have just bought a Kindle Touch and apart from it being very slow for browsing on the internet, I am very happy with it.

I did have a problem initially but was given step by step instructions from a very helpful online customer support person and after reregistering everything is working fine.

Edited by poppy