I Need Thrills & Chills

In celebration of Halloween, I plan to read nothing but scary, creepy, spooky novels in October. The only problem is: which books?

I only have Ghost Story by Peter Straub lined up. I don't read alot of horror except the occassional Stephen King. Last year for Halloween I read Interview with a Vampire and The Halloween Tree (neither were scary, just a little creepy). I thought about Agatha Christie's Halloween Party, but not sure if it would be scary enough. Maybe The Stand by King? I would love a good novel that takes place during Halloween, but can't seem to think of any. Something offbeat and not too mainstream would be great. Anyone who reads my list knows what I like, but I'm not afraid to try something different. So, can anyone recommend some books that will give me chills and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

The Stand isn't really a horror novel - it's more a post-apocalyptic vision of America. It is, however, one of my all-time favourite boks and I highly recommend it! :)

If you want a gore-fest, try some Richard Laymon. It's very schlocky but you may get a few shivers down your spine from them. He's incredibly graphic and ther's lots of violence and usually some sex in there too - sometimes combining the two.

Try the Beast House Chronicles:

1. The Cellar
  2. The Beast House
  3. The Midnight Tour
  4. Friday Night in the Beast House

Others you might find creepy by Laymon are:

• The Night Show
  • Night Games
  • Funland
  • Blood Games
  • Endless Night
  • Bite
  • The Travelling Vampire Show

Or you might like some James Herbert. He's had some creepfests in the past. Try some of these:

• The Dark
  • Others
  • The Fog
  • The Secret of Crickley Hall

You might also like The Magic Cottage and Once by James Herbert, but they're not really horror - more slightly scary fairytale-type stories. Both are excellent and should be read in that order.

Lightning by Dean Koontz is another favourite of mine, but not really scary. However, you might like to try the following for some thrills:

• Phantoms
  • The Bad Place
  • Midnight
  • Hideaway
  • Sole Survivor

Some other fantastic horror-themed books you may like to include (by various authors) that I have loved are:

• Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
  • The Wicker Man by Robin Hardy
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker
  • Carmilla by J Sjeridan LeFanu
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • The Omen by David Seltzer
  • The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
  • The Entity by Frank De Felitta

I hope that's given you a few to consider and I wish you a chill-tastic October!

Bwahahahaha!

• 2 weeks later...

If you like your books a little gothic or Victorian you could try Susan Hill's The Woman in Black, The Mist in the Mirror or the Man in the Picture and more recently, The Small Hand - they are a tad creepy. Also The Turn of the Screw by Henry James is pretty jumpy.

I would also recommend Susan Hill's The Woman in Black, I borrowed it from my library recently and I really enjoyed it, it was very atmospheric. I would also recommend James Herberts, The Haunted and The ghosts of Sleath. Also Adam L G Nevill's Banquet for the Damned, it is a creepy book, a little difficult to get into but I thought it was worth the perseverance. Plus it is set in my home town of St. Andrews in Scotland, I was scared to go home for a while after reading it. I also have Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, I've not read it yet, it is in the to be read pile, but if the film is any indication it will have a few chills in it

I would love a good novel that takes place during Halloween, but can't seem to think of any. Something offbeat and not too mainstream would be great. Anyone who reads my list knows what I like, but I'm not afraid to try something different. So, can anyone recommend some books that will give me chills and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

This is the one book that comes to mind that you can't go wrong with. :wink:

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, and it does take place in October.

The one you chose, Ghost Story, by Peter Straub is excellent as well.

Edited by Pixie

I have just started The Golem by Gustav Meyrink - I am about 30 pages in and really starting to enjoy the atmosphere of it

A Sunday Times Review - from Amazon

A superbly atmospheric story set in the old Prague ghetto featuring The Golem, a kind of rabbinical Frankenstein's monster, which manifests iitself every 33 years in a room without a door. Stranger still, it seems to have the same face as the narrator. Made into a film in 1920, this extraordinary book combines uncanny psychology of doppelganger stories with expressionism and more than a little melodrama... Meyrink's old Prague - like Dicken's London - is one of the great creations of City writing, an eerie, claustrophobic and fantastical underworld where anything can happen.'

I'm planning to read Frankenstein later in the month, too. :bat:

I have just started The Golem by Gustav Meyrink - I am about 30 pages in and really starting to enjoy the atmosphere of it

A Sunday Times Review - from Amazon

A superbly atmospheric story set in the old Prague ghetto featuring The Golem, a kind of rabbinical Frankenstein's monster, which manifests iitself every 33 years in a room without a door. Stranger still, it seems to have the same face as the narrator. Made into a film in 1920, this extraordinary book combines uncanny psychology of doppelganger stories with expressionism and more than a little melodrama... Meyrink's old Prague - like Dicken's London - is one of the great creations of City writing, an eerie, claustrophobic and fantastical underworld where anything can happen.'

I'm planning to read Frankenstein later in the month, too. :bat:

Thanks Ooshie, I just added 'The Golem' to my wishlist, it sounds excellent :)

In celebration of Halloween, I plan to read nothing but scary, creepy, spooky novels in October. The only problem is: which books?

I only have Ghost Story by Peter Straub lined up. I don't read alot of horror except the occassional Stephen King. Last year for Halloween I read Interview with a Vampire and The Halloween Tree (neither were scary, just a little creepy). I thought about Agatha Christie's Halloween Party, but not sure if it would be scary enough. Maybe The Stand by King? I would love a good novel that takes place during Halloween, but can't seem to think of any. Something offbeat and not too mainstream would be great. Anyone who reads my list knows what I like, but I'm not afraid to try something different. So, can anyone recommend some books that will give me chills and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

Ring by Koji Suzuki ~ very creepy! :hide:

Edited by Weave