The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

dawnbirduk

A brilliant book, made the more intrigueing as it's setting is local to me, it mentioned Holme, Saltmarsh, Blakeney, King's Lynn, it was quite surreal all the places familiar to me. I am also intrigued by the murder stories which involve archeology because I am interested in the subject, altogether a good read.

From Goodreads - When she’s not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone in a remote area called Saltmarsh near Norfolk, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants - not quite earth, not quite sea.

When a child’s bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice.

The bones actually turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory – and in serious danger.

THE CROSSING PLACES marks the beginning of a captivating new crime series featuring an irresistible heroine.

Dawn, I read this last year and really enjoyed it. I have not had time to read the 2nd and 3rd in the series, but very much want to (in my TBR Pile) as I think as Ruth develops, she will be an interesting character. I lived in East Anglia as well so her settings are special to me.

thanks for that dawnbird. I've got a few of her books on my Amazon wish list and will probably make a start on them quite soon, after reading your review. :D

Edited by SueK

• 5 years later...

Just starting the second book 'the Janus Stone' having recently finished Crossing Places which I really enjoyed. I know they've been around for a few years now but takes me a 

little while to get round to things. Anyway if I like this one there's plenty more to be going for , any views on further reading ?

This is one of my favourite crime series, and they're all worth reading, I love Ruth, she's very believable and has a lovely, dry sense of humour.  And the setting is great too.

• 2 weeks later...