Who is your favourite Undiscovered writer?

marcus giovanni

• 2 weeks later...

I've always felt that Julian May is undervalued. She (IMHO) writes intelligent fantasy/sci-fi that isn't completely inpenetratable. Her four book Pliocene Saga, starting with "The many-coloured land" is one of my favourite books of all time, and easily sits next to Lord of the Rings.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

It depends what one means by 'undiscovered'. However, one 'unknown' author who I rate very highly is Margaret Elphinstone. An author of mainly historical fiction, there is a depth and lyricism to her writing that excels many better known writers. Even the Edinburgh Waterstones only had one copy of one of her books in stock last time I was there. The Sea Road, a version of the Greenland Sagas focusing on one of the female characters, was my introduction to her, and remains one of my favourite reads of the past couple of years.

Another favourite 'undiscovered' is J.L. Carr. Yes, his A Month in the Country won the Guardian Fiction prize some years ago and has been made into a film, and is possibly my favourite book of all, but his quirky, highly varied, range of books, little known all pretty much all of them, are all worthy of closer investigation, with strong streaks of autobiography (and some wish fulfilment too I would guess!) in many of them. They are all very easy reads! The Harpole Report was nominated by Frank Muir as his Desert Island book - one of the few books I have genuinely found funny.

Andrew E Shipley! He's only written one novel (The Messenger) and it's self-published, but it's absolutely brilliant! When I was sent it for review Iwas sceptical, but this was the book that made me see that not all self-published authors should be written off as dross. In fact, it was a real 5/5 novel! And nobody has ever heard of this guy, so I always shout about him whenever I get the chance! ;)

• 10 months later...

I highly recommend Snake by Kate Jennings - absolutely stunning prose which builds up a story of family disharmony in the Australian outback, wonderfully evoking the claustrophobia of the blue skies and wide open spaces. Another completely different but sadly overlooked book is White Stone Day by John MacLachlan Gray. On one level it's a brilliantly grubby Victorian detective story, on another, it's a thinly veiled depiction of Lewis Carroll's relationship with Alice. The two strands of story splice neatly together, and the writing is very wry, witty and readable.

Oh, I can't stop there! Some of my favourite books are ones that completely flew under the radar. Duchess of Nothing by Heather McGowan is a delight of stream-of-consciousness witty wordiness with a superbly unreliable narrator; and The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt completely blew me away when I re-read it this year. It's about a child prodigy in search of an elusive father figure, full of entertaining diversions and sparkling intelligence - one to become really immersed in.

Here in NZ one I think isn't as well known as she deserves is Deborah Challinor. She writes books (some series) set in NZ that run through major events in my country's history. One series goes from mid 1800s to mid 1900s. Well worth reading. She's not even in the NZ section in my local library, with other NZ authors.

• 3 weeks later...

Silvia Corradin aka Silvia C, a woman I know, has written a book about her life as a mother of a child with EB. Epidermolysis Bullosa. A chronical and awful illness that peels off the upper skin. A special need child that she cares for with her husband. She tells their story about how life is for them etc.

So if you like autobiographies etc, this is a good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Mommy-Chronicles-Silvia-C/dp/1847280188

• 1 month later...

Well there's Alex Flinn. I'm not really sure if she's considered as "undiscovered", since one of her books have already been made into a movie, which is called Beastly. Venessa Hudgens is in it. I'm not sure if there are more movies made from her other books, since Beastly's the only book I've read. But it's really really good. The story might be a little cheesy, so a lot of people may not like it. But I don't mind cheesy. :)

And then there's Richelle Mead. She's not exactly undiscovered either, since she's already the author of a bestseller series, Vampire Academy. But I still think she's not appreciated enough. I liked Vampire Academy much more than every other vampire book I've read and I really think Vampire Academy deserves to be more popular. It's even better than The Vampire Diaries, in my opinion. But it's probably not gonna happen until a movie or TV series gets made out of it. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say one of my favorite undiscovered authors is one I have only recently discovered myself!

I picked The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp up for £1 from a charity shop in my home town and I didn't expect much. How wrong I was.

This crime novel is witty, gripping, tense and ultimately hilarious. It leaves me chuckling to myself on the bus on the commute to and from work most days of the week.

For any of you who want a fast paced, funny paperback to read look into the Biggs and Lomax series by Marshall Karp, starting with Rabbit Factory and going on to a sequel named Bloodthirsty.

• 1 month later...

Finn Farnsworth. I just finished his first novel, a beautifully woven suspenseful story that captures the beauty of Southeast Asia. The seedy bars and tropical wonders. An easy read that left me thinking of the underlying implications of war and its lasting effects.