Looking for epic fantasy/high fantasy book

I am looking for a good epic/high fantasy books that follow the following requirements:

Protagonist must be male.

The protagonist must start off as an adolescent, he may grow up later in the book.

A bit of romance(I don't mind a lot though).

Minimum perspective change(I hate it when I have to read from a point of view that is other than the protagonist)

Centered on one main protagonist

A few books/series I liked:

Belgariad series

Riftwar Saga- Magician(The parts when I had to read another person's perspective for like 40+ pages was nothing but torturing)

Sea of Trolls series

You probably noticed that I am very picky lol. Any recommendations would be immensely appreciated! Thanks.

I look forward to replies to this with bated breath, I love the Belgariad, and the Magician, apart from when it went into the other world (forget its name?)in my mind it ruined such a fantastic book, but that is all down to opinion, my husband loved it all and reads and rereads it.

I loved The Belgariad and Magician. I reckon you'll struggle to find books within your criteria that are better than those.

Have you tried Tad Williams' 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' series, starting with The Dragonbone Chair? Not my favourite, but seems to fit.

Or how about Peter V Brett's The Painted Man? Oh, hang on, there are three protagonists in that one. Great read, though.

Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy?

I suppose there's Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series, but I'd stay as far away from them as possible, if I were you, they're dreadful but fit the criteria.

Slightly more adult, but Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana is a masterpiece. Might not fit the criteria, though. No harm in being picky, but just think of all the great books you're missing out on ... :D

This site might give you more ideas: http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-series.php

Thanks Karsa for the recommendations, "The Dragonbone Chair" looks promising.

No probs. As I said, it's probably the only one I mentioned that fits the criteria but the others are all fantastic fantasy books. If ever you want to break away from your criteria, give 'em a try (well, apart from Terry Goodkind ... :doh::lol: ) - you may enjoy them, you never know!

:)

Melanie Rawn has written altogether a series of 6 books, based on the stories first of Rohan, a Desert Prince, and then his son Pol.

The first is "Dragon Prince". Their family theme runs through the books from beginning to end, and there's just enough romance to be acceptable without being soppy!

I adored this fantastic, colourful world which M.R. set for her stories, and a pride of my personal collection is all 6 of her series.

It may be a bit of a challenge now to get them to buy (as last-published some years ago) but maybe your local Library could help? Or - they may be on e-book.

Give "Dragon Prince" a try - you might be hooked!

Dragon Prince will be on my plan to read list. Thanks Booknutt :) As for Harry Potter series, I doubt I will read it, because all those HP movies I've watched, it just spoiled the story for me.

Thats a shame as the books are so good but I totally see where your comming from. I watched let the right one in and then I realised that it was originally a book and felt a bit gutted. I don't want to read it now that I've see the books as theres no suspense.

What about the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, I loved these books and have just ordered the new prequel

Have a look at the Amber series by the late great Roger Zelazny. The first in the series of five is "Nine Princes in Amber"

I am looking for a good epic/high fantasy books that follow the following requirements:

Protagonist must be male.

The protagonist must start off as an adolescent, he may grow up later in the book.

A bit of romance(I don't mind a lot though).

Minimum perspective change(I hate it when I have to read from a point of view that is other than the protagonist)

Centered on one main protagonist

A few books/series I liked:

Belgariad series

Riftwar Saga- Magician(The parts when I had to read another person's perspective for like 40+ pages was nothing but torturing)

Sea of Trolls series

You probably noticed that I am very picky lol. Any recommendations would be immensely appreciated! Thanks.

Perfect. Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy. Prince Ailas of Troiscinet is the hero for you. He starts off as a boy and ends up ...well you have to read. Plenty of romance , magic and adventure too. The first chapter is about Princess Suldren though, but don't let that put you off, the story is epic.

Edited by vodkafan