Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

ian

I'm behind on my Rivers reading, I have some of the graphic novels to catch up with, as well as the latest books/novellas. Looks like my 2019 Reading second half is covered with a Rivers re read, and a catch up alongside my other (vague) plans.  Not an unhappy state of affairs. :D

On 30/06/2019 at 12:03 PM, Hayley said:

I finished it last night! What was your minor criticism? I kept wondering while I was reading it but I don't think I can guess.

I can see why you went back to read Rivers of London now too, it has a lot of connections to the first book doesn't it?

What did you think... 

Hide contents

of the way the Tobi and Vanessa story mirrors the start of Peter and Lesley one?

My [minor] criticism is:

Spoiler

Because it was written first person, Tobias didn't seem to be much different from Peter Grant for me. 

It kind of works both ways, as the writing style was definitely in the Rivers of London mould so it felt like it belonged in the same universe, but for me there wasn't enough to differentiate the two characters.

I'm wondering how this is going to work with the Agent Reynolds and Nightingale novellas that are in the works.

I finished re-reading Rivers of London yesterday, am I'm surprised how much detail I'd forgotten (given I only read it a couple of years ago!) and there was quite a bit that was mirrored in The October Man.

Overall, I'd like to read a full length story based around the new characters (which Aaronovitch has already hinted might happen) but I'm not sure there is enough to make it significantly different from the main body of the River's books to make it worthwhile. 

13 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I'm behind on my Rivers reading, I have some of the graphic novels to catch up with, as well as the latest books/novellas. Looks like my 2019 Reading second half is covered with a Rivers re read, and a catch up alongside my other (vague) plans.  Not an unhappy state of affairs. :D

That sounds like a good plan to me! :lol: I'm tempted to start on the graphic novels.

4 hours ago, Raven said:

My [minor] criticism is:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually completely agree. I found that 

Spoiler

I actually forgot at times that it wasn't Peter talking. I did wonder if it's partly because we're meant to feel like Peter and Tobias are very similar. I would definitely expect Agent Reynolds and Nightingale to have very different voices though, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see!

I can't wait for another full novel though!

November seems a long way away! 

EDIT:

Just been looking on Amazon and they have the next two novels listed; one for this and one for next year - along with their synopsis, which seems a bit odd!

Edited by Raven

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Would love to find out more about Nightingale's background.

There is a graphic novel out in November that has Nightingale investigating a case in 1957 that is supposed to give some more information on his back story during the war. 

The novella I mentioned above is supposed to be set before the war.

16 hours ago, Raven said:

November seems a long way away! 

EDIT:

Just been looking on Amazon and they have the next two novels listed; one for this and one for next year - along with their synopsis, which seems a bit odd!

What!? That is odd. What's the one for next year?

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Would love to find out more about Nightingale's background.

There's a little hint of Nightingale's background in October Man :). I'm looking forward to more about him too. I also really want to find out more about Molly!

5 hours ago, Hayley said:

What!? That is odd. What's the one for next year?

Nope, my mistake, it is another graphic novel.

The release schedule as it stands appears to be:

12/11/19: Action at a Distance (GN)

14/11/19: False Value (Novel)

10/11/20: The Fey and the Furious (GN)

No dates:

Agent Reynolds novella

Nightingale novella

I'm hopeful the above dates are correct, but I know from past experience that they can change so I'll believe them when I'm holding the above in my grubby little hands...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Hayley said:

I saw on twitter that some Waterstones shops already have their copies of False Value! Has anyone managed to get it yet?

Not I! (I did check my local this morning, and will do so again tomorrow!)

Aaronovitch has been doing some signings over the last few days, are they store he has been too?

16 hours ago, Raven said:

Not I! (I did check my local this morning, and will do so again tomorrow!)

Aaronovitch has been doing some signings over the last few days, are they store he has been too?

I think it was Maidstone, I'm not sure if he did a signing there though. Will have my fingers crossed for you today!