Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

ian

18 hours ago, Raven said:

doesn't she have a cookery blog at one point?

Does she!? I cant remember!

but she is not human, so how would she articulate her thoughts? What would that read like? 

I have absolutely no idea but I'd like to find out :lol:.

I suspect that will be the way we will learn more about her, but I also suspect it will be drip fed over a number of books, rather than being told in a single story.

Definitely agree. And I quite like that as well. Like... 

Spoiler

the way we found out about the other woman who's like Molly and knows her somehow (can't remember her name right now). The way that information dripped into the main story ('hey she can do that thing Molly does', then 'oh, she's the same thing as Molly!', then 'Oh she actually knows Molly!?') was just perfect. It made the mystery of Molly's background even more interesting. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Raven said:

And it now has a title:

AMONGST OUR WEAPONS

Oooooh… that’s an interesting one. I wonder what the ‘weapons’ are!? 

16 hours ago, Marie H said:

And the YT vid was awesome too!! :o

I didn’t see that there was one! Will have to look it up later :) 

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Do you think the mask…

Hide contents

Is a reference to Lesley?? But she can’t be the person we don’t expect… 

Spoiler

Lesley was my first thought, when I saw the mask, but given she was in the novel before last she's hardly unexpected (as you say!)

The obvious one you wouldn't expect is Martin Chorley/The Faceless Man give he is supposed to be dead, but I cannot see how that would work!

Struggling to think of who else it could be...

On 11/02/2022 at 12:36 PM, Hayley said:

Ooooh have you all seen the new teaser video for Amongst our Weapons?? Any predictions? Do you think the mask…

Hide contents

Is a reference to Lesley?? But she can’t be the person we don’t expect… 

https://twitter.com/ben_aaronovitch/status/1492092298557067266?s=21

A very teasing teaser indeed….:o

I haven’t a clue what will be going on! :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Having finally gotten around to reading Amongst Our Weapons (just over half way through now), I feel I can safely say that it's living up to expectations!! 

Also having this thought a lot more in this one:

Spoiler

I used to really want Lesley to come back, have a change of heart and help Peter again - but now I really just don't like her. I'm also not entirely sure I understand her motivation any more - does she want to undermine the Folly? Does she blame them for what happened to her, and not being able to 'fix' it? 

• 3 months later...

Catching up with the rest of you I have just finished the first in the series Rivers of London.  I felt that it was quite close to the Frey and McGray books but that didn't stop me reading it. I also enjoyed how the water gods/goddesses/spirits were portrayed and I'm looking forward to reading the second one - I have eight of them so far.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Catching up with the rest of you I have just finished the first in the series Rivers of London.  I felt that it was quite close to the Frey and McGray books but that didn't stop me reading it. I also enjoyed how the water gods/goddesses/spirits were portrayed and I'm looking forward to reading the second one - I have eight of them so far.

Yay! Another fan! :lol: I agree, it does have similarities to Frey and McGray - I think the biggest difference is that [potential spoiler for the first Frey and McGray book]

Spoiler

There is never any doubt that the supernatural is real in Rivers of London, while everything has a potential rational explanation in Frey and McGray.

I also love the portrayal of various spirits of the land - that gets even more interesting later :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Winter’s Gifts is out! I’m going to have to resist buying my copy for a little while (after the unexpectedly huge expense of having to buy a new laptop when mine died during the week and an upcoming trip we planned ages ago!) but I’m hoping some of you will be able to tell me if it’s a good one 😄